Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

GFL - Guitar Friends Lounge

Got a Larrivée D-03R and a Godin Kingpin II archtop myself. Started in summer 2019, stopped playing until around June of this year and have been at it since then. Mostly been focusing on covers of Russian songs but I do plan on getting into blues and jazz in the near future...gotta get that music theory down solid

That Godin is a nice looking guitar. I have two Seagull acoustics, which are made by Godin, and they are one of the best values in guitars going today. They have particularly wide necks, which suit me fine because my...ahem...hands are not particularly small and the space between strings is nice. Excellent guitars in both contruction and sound, and they are very affordable.

As for getting theory down...I know some, and can sorta kinda read sheet music, but it's not necessary at all to enjoy playing the guitar, particuarly popular rock and/or blues. When you get into improvisation and it becomes jazz, it's probably a little more helpful, but even then training your ear to what sounds good is probably more important. That's my opinion anyway. What's important is that you play! I have a beautiful Paul Reed Smith Custom 24, and I tell people that no matter how good it looks, it's still just me playing it, it doesn't play itself. Which is a shame.

That's the best way. Try 'em all, and you'll find what suits you quick. I discovered Dunlop Tortex picks very quickly. Start with .46s, later moved to .6, before finding I preferred the heavy 1mm. Use those for a few years then switched up to the 1.14mm for no reason other than that I preferred the colour. Been using those for well over a decade now.

I've never been one to get worked up about picks, whatever I can find will almost always work. Some of the great players use all sorts of things. Ed King from Lynyrd Skynyrd used bits of broken sea shells he'd find on the beach. Had a whole bucket full of them that he chipped into a pick shape.

All of that said...I mostly use Dunlop "Max Grip" nylon picks at .73. They are a good one for both electric and acoustic. I have dozens laying all over the house, when they don't get chewed up by the dog or stuck in the vaccuum cleaner.

Edward

Bartender
I've never been one to get worked up about picks, whatever I can find will almost always work. Some of the great players use all sorts of things. Ed King from Lynyrd Skynyrd used bits of broken sea shells he'd find on the beach. Had a whole bucket full of them that he chipped into a pick shape.

All of that said...I mostly use Dunlop "Max Grip" nylon picks at .73. They are a good one for both electric and acoustic. I have dozens laying all over the house, when they don't get chewed up by the dog or stuck in the vaccuum cleaner.

I usually have a couple in my pocket or in my coin purse. Sad as it is to admit, there's a tiny part of me feels a little bit more rock and roll for having them there among my pocket detritus.

Seashells is an interesting one, I wonder if those had something of the feel of the original, tortoiseshell pics that would, of course, not have been an option by the time Skynyrd were a going concern?

Just came back from next big citiy's central music store!
I was sick of these standard-like "22 Jumbo Frets", which came with my ESP. Too uncomfortable for my fingers. I always thought, there must be a better way!

And don't the experts always say, waste the crap-strings of your new guitar immediately and put good one in??

So, I did internet recherche before and grabbed two packs of the super popular Ernie Ball 2223 (9-42) in the store and man, I'm looking forward! And I grabbed a 3-meter guitar cable, so that I can use my old electronic tuner.

Attachments

• IMGP8326.JPG
    IMGP8326.JPG
    254.3 KB · Views: 238
I usually have a couple in my pocket or in my coin purse. Sad as it is to admit, there's a tiny part of me feels a little bit more rock and roll for having them there among my pocket detritus.

Your'e not alone there.

Seashells is an interesting one, I wonder if those had something of the feel of the original, tortoiseshell pics that would, of course, not have been an option by the time Skynyrd were a going concern?

King said they just had a unique sound that he liked, and like many other players, wanted a pick as stiff as he could get it. He said the only drawback was that they chewed through strings like crazy. Of course, on the road you change your strings every day anyway, so that probably wasn't a big deal.

Aah, not bad! I grabbed the classic Vox Pathfinder 10 amp, today on a fine advertising price!

Looking forward to stick my ESP in, but waiting until after "Siesta" (13:00 - 15:00)! ;)

Lounger, this is CURIOUS and I think worth to tell!

I plunked a little bit with my Blackie on the couch and when I felt more and more tired, I switched to laying her flat on my lap, laying myself back, playing just the neutral Barré grip with my (left) thumb.

When I met 6th, 7th, 8th fret, while using neck pickup, I thought:
"WTH, am I dreaming or is it really sounding like (faking) a semi-acoustic and jazzing around??"

But I wasn't dreaming. This kind of jazzing is really endless fun and I could do it for hours, I tell you! But it makes me asleep, very fast. :p
But I always liked the lap-playing.

I'm trying to get a jazzier tone out of my amp (transistor, all analog), but I'm not really succesfull.
I got low gain, high bass, higher volume.

Any recommendations?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Takatāpui