Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Girdles, Corsets, and Underpinnings

Status
Not open for further replies.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I've been quite happy with my cinchers for a while, they do the perfect job under a full skirted dress. However, they aren't quite right under a wiggle dress. What is best under a wiggle dress? Will an open bottom girdle show a line where it ends? Would I do better with a long leg girdle? Do the high waisted Ragos come up as high as their cincher? The cincher comes right to my bra band, so there's no lump between the bra and cincher. Will I need a long line bra with the girdle?

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
kamikat said:
I've been quite happy with my cinchers for a while, they do the perfect job under a full skirted dress. However, they aren't quite right under a wiggle dress. What is best under a wiggle dress? Will an open bottom girdle show a line where it ends? Would I do better with a long leg girdle? Do the high waisted Ragos come up as high as their cincher? The cincher comes right to my bra band, so there's no lump between the bra and cincher. Will I need a long line bra with the girdle?

You have a few options:

1. A corselette is the best option
2. A regular, OB girdle combined with a long line bra. They will overlap at your waist so any funny lines should be hidden by the belt that you're wearing.
3. The Rago, high-waisted OB girdle, which should come up to your bra band.

A regular, OB girdle may show a little under a wiggle dress - it just depends on how the girdle fits you. You will definitely get little bumps where the garters are. In any case, I wouldn't worry about it too much, as it's definitely period-correct :)

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
KittyT said:
You have a few options:

1. A corselette is the best option
2. A regular, OB girdle combined with a long line bra. They will overlap at your waist so any funny lines should be hidden by the belt that you're wearing.
3. The Rago, high-waisted OB girdle, which should come up to your bra band.

It sounds like the high waisted OB girdle is my best bet. I wear a 36G and have yet to find a long line bra or corselette (is that the same as "body briefer") in my size.

PS

A-List Customer
Kami,
The problem I have with long leg girdles is that (and maybe its just me) that my thighs are full. I've always just had thick ones! But long legs are good for an hour or two, the leg starts to roll up on me and its painful because of the rubber grippers.
I have an old Smoothie All In One that I bought in college that I love love love. I love that the back is smooth to the waist to the hips to the legs. But I can really only wear it once in a while because of the leg roll problem, then you get that bulge on the leg.

What about an OB All In One to wear under the wiggle? Is the wiggle dress lined or will you wear a slip?

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
PS said:
What about an OB All In One to wear under the wiggle? Is the wiggle dress lined or will you wear a slip?

An OB All In One is called a corselette, and she cannot find one in her size.

There have to be longline bras out there in your size.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
KittyT said:
There have to be longline bras out there in your size.

None of my usual sites have them. The closest I came was if I went up a band size and down a cup size. The actual cup would be the same, but would the torso part not tighten me up if it was a size too big? I found one in a cup size too small, but since I sometimes overflow in my size if it's a different style cup, I don't think I could try a smaller cup.

texasgirl

One Too Many
Have you tried one of the high waist shapers? That's what I do. I'm 34ff and I couldn't find an all-in-one. I wear a high waist one, and it comes all the way up and I just tuck it under the band on my bra. Not sure if this works because I'm short, but you might try it.

Goldfish

A-List Customer
how do I find out my size in girdles? where exactly do i have to measure???

i googled the topic, but no results... [huh]

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Goldfish said:
how do I find out my size in girdles? where exactly do i have to measure???

i googled the topic, but no results... [huh]

Girdles are sized by waist measurement - not what you want your waist to be, but the actual measurement of the smallest part of your waist. If you have a 28" waist, you will wear a size 28 girdle. If you have hips that are large for your waist size (usually more than 10" above your waist measurement), you may have to go up a size.

For Rago girdles, there is a size chart and info on their website.

For body briefers and corselettes, sizing is done by bra size.

Goldfish

A-List Customer
Thank you KittyT, you're always a big help!

The next size would be 30",right?

why are corselette sizes done by bra size? my hips are huuuuuge compared to my upper body :mad:

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Goldfish said:
The next size would be 30",right?

Yes, they run in even sizes. If you're in between, I would go down a size.

why are corselette sizes done by bra size? my hips are huuuuuge compared to my upper body :mad:

Because they have built in cups and it's important to make sure that fits They're stretchy, so even if your hips are large, you'll get some stretching to accommodate that. That said, some gals find that corselettes don't work or them if they have larger hips.

AudreyH

Familiar Face
I've always wanted to try on a corset just for the fun of it. I've never bought or tryed one on though. My friends have said that they are bad for you or something? They said something about ruins your back and has broke peoples ribs. Is that just a rumor? Anyways do they come in sizes or anything? All I know is if they won't hurt me I want to try one. :)

pretty faythe

One Too Many
AudreyH said:
I've always wanted to try on a corset just for the fun of it. I've never bought or tryed one on though. My friends have said that they are bad for you or something? They said something about ruins your back and has broke peoples ribs. Is that just a rumor? Anyways do they come in sizes or anything? All I know is if they won't hurt me I want to try one. :)

If you want to try one on for fun, you should do so at a department store. My 15 y.o. does so occasionally. They arent corsets per say, but I guess more of a bustier type deal.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
All my vintage slips are marked by bust size in inches (over the bust) and all the modern ones are by modern sizing (10, 12 etc) which usually also has a corresponding measurement in inches (34", 36"), although when I say modern, they are probably from the 80s and sizing was a bit different even then!

Most slips are measured over the bust, as far as I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran