Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Girdles, Corsets, and Underpinnings

Status
Not open for further replies.

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
OH ladies.. I have always wanted to wear one and try them on... but I cant seem to budge into one.
I LOVE the site u gave! I am going to look into buying one now!

Ohhhh.... sooo excited!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Miss Sis said:
All my vintage slips are marked by bust size in inches (over the bust) and all the modern ones are by modern sizing (10, 12 etc) which usually also has a corresponding measurement in inches (34", 36"), although when I say modern, they are probably from the 80s and sizing was a bit different even then!

Most slips are measured over the bust, as far as I know.

Worth keeping in mind too that you'll have a lot more give with vintage nylon slips than you will with vintage cotton slips -- with the latter, iI find it's a good idea to go a size up over your bust size to compensate for any shrinkage.

I wear a 36 bra, but I always buy size 38 slips, and I find that avoids any kind of problems with binding around the chest -- if a slip is too tight, you won't be long for noticing it, especially when the side seam pops on a deep breath.

Some modern full slips are also marked according to length of the skirt, measured from the waistline -- so, a 38-26 would be a 38 bust and a 26 inch skirt, which would be a good basic length for most vintage dresses.

i_am_the_scruff

A-List Customer
AudreyH said:
I've always wanted to try on a corset just for the fun of it. I've never bought or tryed one on though. My friends have said that they are bad for you or something? They said something about ruins your back and has broke peoples ribs. Is that just a rumor? Anyways do they come in sizes or anything? All I know is if they won't hurt me I want to try one. :)
They don't really hurt, but are a bit uncomfortable if it's tight but as you keep wearing it it'll start to feel better. Don't go tighter than you can handle, you look like a petite girl anyway so I doubt you'd want it tight anyway.
By the way you are gorgeous!

Inky

One Too Many
LizzieMaine said:
Worth keeping in mind too that you'll have a lot more give with vintage nylon slips than you will with vintage cotton slips -- with the latter, iI find it's a good idea to go a size up over your bust size to compensate for any shrinkage.

I wear a 36 bra, but I always buy size 38 slips, and I find that avoids any kind of problems with binding around the chest -- if a slip is too tight, you won't be long for noticing it, especially when the side seam pops on a deep breath.

Some modern full slips are also marked according to length of the skirt, measured from the waistline -- so, a 38-26 would be a 38 bust and a 26 inch skirt, which would be a good basic length for most vintage dresses.

Now I am thoroughly confused :)

I wear a 38DD and my bust measures 44 inches. Should I get a 38 or a 44 or something in between? I am looking at vintage slips.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Always err on the side of excess when comfort is at stake -- you can always take it in if it's too loose, but it's very difficult to let it out if it's too tight. I'd suggest starting with a 44, and doing a bit of trial and error on either side of that to find precisely what works for you. Nylon slips will stretch a bit, but you don't want to depend too much on that.

Inky

One Too Many
LizzieMaine said:
Always err on the side of excess when comfort is at stake -- you can always take it in if it's too loose, but it's very difficult to let it out if it's too tight. I'd suggest starting with a 44, and doing a bit of trial and error on either side of that to find precisely what works for you. Nylon slips will stretch a bit, but you don't want to depend too much on that.

Thanks LizzieMaine, I appreciate the info. I'll see how a 44 does and you are right, I could always take it in if need be now that the old 1938 Singer is back in action at our house :)

AudreyH

Familiar Face
i_am_the_scruff said:
They don't really hurt, but are a bit uncomfortable if it's tight but as you keep wearing it it'll start to feel better. Don't go tighter than you can handle, you look like a petite girl anyway so I doubt you'd want it tight anyway.
By the way you are gorgeous!
I won't go tighter than I can handle, and Thank you. :)

SuperKawaiiMama

One of the Regulars
Waist training.. in a manner of speaking

I know some of you have mentioned that wearing corsets in this community isn't so much for the waist training as for the era appropriateness, but I have a question. I am thinking of having a corset made to train my ribs more than my waist. After having two children my bust has shrunk (considerably) and my rib cage has expanded. I'm finding it quite difficult to find tops that fit and get quite frustrated that if things fit my bust they won't fit my ribs. Has anyone had experience with this problem or solution??

Josephine

One Too Many
Inky said:
Thanks LizzieMaine, I appreciate the info. I'll see how a 44 does and you are right, I could always take it in if need be now that the old 1938 Singer is back in action at our house :)

I shouldn't tell you this (I'm the same size: 44) but I found some full slips in our size on eBay... Don't bid on the one I want! lol

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Let nature take its course!

SuperKawaiiMama said:
I know some of you have mentioned that wearing corsets in this community isn't so much for the waist training as for the era appropriateness, but I have a question. I am thinking of having a corset made to train my ribs more than my waist. After having two children my bust has shrunk (considerably) and my rib cage has expanded. I'm finding it quite difficult to find tops that fit and get quite frustrated that if things fit my bust they won't fit my ribs. Has anyone had experience with this problem or solution??

Take in the bust... fit the largest part of you.
It sounds as though all you will get from trying to reduce your ribcage is lack of oxygen. And then you will be yawning through whatever vintage event you are trying to look fabulous at, and people will think you're bored... I see a whole chain of bad reaction here...
Ladies in the Victorian era sometimes had ribs removed (without anesthetic, how butch is that) to make there waists smaller, but it is so unnatural.
People get older, they grow, they change, they sometimes have to let the tiny clothes go and get their new size. Believe me, I have resisted this reality for a long time...

SuperKawaiiMama

One of the Regulars
Miss 1929 said:
Take in the bust... fit the largest part of you.
It sounds as though all you will get from trying to reduce your ribcage is lack of oxygen. And then you will be yawning through whatever vintage event you are trying to look fabulous at, and people will think you're bored... I see a whole chain of bad reaction here...
Ladies in the Victorian era sometimes had ribs removed (without anesthetic, how butch is that) to make there waists smaller, but it is so unnatural.
People get older, they grow, they change, they sometimes have to let the tiny clothes go and get their new size. Believe me, I have resisted this reality for a long time...

I could, but that is a lot of work when you consider the size of my wardrobe (umm... extensive). I thought it might present a slightly less invasive option than having the boobs done to match too. ;) The problem is that the rest of me is quite small,(about an Aus 8) then the ribs kick in. I'm actually much smaller than before I had the children, so it can be quite confusing.
I thought that I'd wear it during the day just hanging out at home, that way should I feel the need for a lie down, I could accommodate that too, rather than fainting into the arms of some chap whilst out on the town. :)

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
SuperKawaiiMama said:
I could, but that is a lot of work when you consider the size of my wardrobe (umm... extensive). I thought it might present a slightly less invasive option than having the boobs done to match too. ;) The problem is that the rest of me is quite small,(about an Aus 8) then the ribs kick in. I'm actually much smaller than before I had the children, so it can be quite confusing.
I thought that I'd wear it during the day just hanging out at home, that way should I feel the need for a lie down, I could accommodate that too, rather than fainting into the arms of some chap whilst out on the town. :)

Fainting is so 19th century. Not Golden Era at all.
It is odd how one's body suddenly does these unexpected changes - I am experiencing gravity now...

Sunny

One Too Many
Miss 1929 said:
That is NOT true. It's one of many, many ridiculous corset myths. Certain brief periods in the 19th century made tight-lacing ultra-fashionable, but the vast majority of women never went that far. In the 19th century, corsets were for support and shaping, and to that end they were amazingly comfortable.

i_am_the_scruff

A-List Customer
Inky said:
Now I am thoroughly confused :)

I wear a 38DD and my bust measures 44 inches. Should I get a 38 or a 44 or something in between? I am looking at vintage slips.
I think you're wearing the wrong bra size. Your bust is two inches more than mine and I wear an F cup.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
A long-time tight-lacer once told me that after stopping it, after she'd corseted down to I think it was 18 inches on a natural waist of 28 or so, her bottom most rib on both sides became 'loose'. She said it would move considerably if she was hugged or something, and that it was a really odd sensation! I don't know whether it later 're-set' or whatever though.

i_am_the_scruff

A-List Customer
Fleur De Guerre said:
A long-time tight-lacer once told me that after stopping it, after she'd corseted down to I think it was 18 inches on a natural waist of 28 or so, her bottom most rib on both sides became 'loose'. She said it would move considerably if she was hugged or something, and that it was a really odd sensation! I don't know whether it later 're-set' or whatever though.
That made me feel weird just reading that. Imagine how it must feel!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
i_am_the_scruff said:
I think you're wearing the wrong bra size. Your bust is too inches more than mine and I wear an F cup.

No, the cup size has to do with the difference in total bust measurement vs the underbust/band measurement, not just the total bust measurement. Even if her bust is 2" bigger than yours, she would wear a smaller cup size if the difference between her total measurement and underbust measurement is less than it is for you.

i_am_the_scruff

A-List Customer
KittyT said:
No, the cup size has to do with the difference in total bust measurement vs the underbust/band measurement, not just the total bust measurement. Even if her bust is 2" bigger than yours, she would wear a smaller cup size if the difference between her total measurement and underbust measurement is less than it is for you.
Ohh I see so because her back width is bigger than mine the cup is smaller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner