Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Girdles, Corsets, and Underpinnings

Status
Not open for further replies.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Has anyone tried the Kymaro New Body shaper? It looks like a version of Spanx, which I like better for everyday wear over a girdle.
http://www.ubuyez.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=31
NBS_Box_Top.jpg

Inky

One Too Many
kamikat said:
Has anyone tried the Kymaro New Body shaper? It looks like a version of Spanx, which I like better for everyday wear over a girdle.
http://www.ubuyez.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=31
NBS_Box_Top.jpg

I almost bought one of those myself after seeing the infomercial, but I did some review searching and enough complaints about it not to get it.

here's where I did my reading: http://www.viewpoints.com/Kymaro-Body-Shaper-reviews

I have two pair of the high waist Spanx and find them very comfortable, and they do not roll down (or up at the thigh). I wear them when we go dancing, so they get quite a workout.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Another great place for hard to find bras is Belle Lingerie on eBay. Can I link to an eBay store? They sell the high end British brands like Freya, Panache, Fantasie at 50% of the price of US retailers. They're sizes go from 32AA to 42D and most of the smaller band sizes up to J cup. http://www.belle-lingerie.co.uk/ is their UK site.

goldwyn girl

One Too Many
KittyT said:
I have. When I called one of their stores, the gal I spoke with was very helpful. However, I did not receive a tracking number. They did ship quickly, but I have to return to exchange for a different size and there was no return info shipped with my items, so now I have to call again to figure that out.

EDIT: nevermind, there's a number for returns on their website. You just have to call to get a return authorization.

Thank you KittyT

Vintage Verve

New in Town
Vintage Verve said:
I have purchased a waist cincher from WKD to wear under selected dresses:

WKD.jpg

As a curvy gal (AU 14) I know that it will help me define my waist a little better. It should hopefully arrive from the UK early in the new year.

Sorry for the delay, I promised to tell you how this cincher worked out.

I really like it. It is of very high quality and it certainly defines my waistline more (up to four inches). I'm kind of sorry I didn't buy it in a size smaller as I have lost a bit of weight since Christmas!! Oh well, might give me extra incentive to lose more and buy another ;)

It's reasonably comfortable, and I only say reasonably as I am still getting used to it. I got caught out yesterday (didn't have time to go home and get changed after work before going out to dinner) and ended up wearing it for just over 14 hours. :eusa_doh: I was feeling uncomfortable towards the end of the night, but it certainly wasn't painfull and I have no residual discomfort today - although I am not wearing it today. I've worn it for on average four to six hours at a time and I have found it fine.

I would happily buy from What Katie Did again.

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
Vintage Verve said:
Sorry for the delay, I promised to tell you how this cincher worked out.

I really like it. It is of very high quality and it certainly defines my waistline more (up to four inches). I'm kind of sorry I didn't buy it in a size smaller as I have lost a bit of weight since Christmas!! Oh well, might give me extra incentive to lose more and buy another ;)

It's reasonably comfortable, and I only say reasonably as I am still getting used to it. I got caught out yesterday (didn't have time to go home and get changed after work before going out to dinner) and ended up wearing it for just over 14 hours. :eusa_doh: I was feeling uncomfortable towards the end of the night, but it certainly wasn't painfull and I have no residual discomfort today - although I am not wearing it today. I've worn it for on average four to six hours at a time and I have found it fine.

I would happily buy from What Katie Did again.

Thanks for the update on the waist cincher. I was thinking about one of these post baby since I'd like to use it a bit more for waist training. We'll see.

maybelaughter

Familiar Face
i need some shapewear advice...
i previously owned nothing more than a pair of control-top tights, but after reading through this thread (and admitting to myself that i've gone a bit soft since i stopped working and went to school full-time), i've been thinking about purchasing some other type of shapewear.
i need a garter belt badly - one that can hold up thigh high socks as well as stockings (TH socks are my new best friend, as thicker tights always seems to end up around my knees and become awkward to walk in at that point...), and also provides a bit of control for wearing with slimmer skirts. i think there's a rago product that was recommended on here, but now i can't find the one i thought i wanted online!

i've also been looking at the rago waist cincher 21, and nipper 821, and am trying to decide between the two. i have a longline bra (not my favorite, but i've only found the one in a 36 AA - if anyone sees one in this size that closes in the front (is this possible in a longline?) let me know!), so i'm not worried about back-roll between a cincher/HWgirdle and bra. i am worried about my ribs... i bought a cheap cincher at W*M, the sort that's elastic with some light boning, and it (the boning) pokes out in little mountains over my ribs.... not good! do the Rago products do this? my ribs do stick out a bit, i've auctually caught them on the top of a chair when i was at my slimmest...
i have a waist of 29" (but wear dresses with a 27/28" waist, so maybe i'm not measuring right? or maybe i just squish well...), and hips of 41/2" (5 inches down from there, my thighs have the same measurement.... is that normal?) , as well as prominent ribs and rather um, squishy thighs... (picked up some of those 'bike short' things, and i love them! why hadn't i known of these before!) anyway, which would be better to get my stomach smaller, without protruding oddly at the rib area? (perhaps magically shrinking that spot as well? - i thought seriously of tightlacing for about 15 minutes when i read it made your ribcage smaller in the underbust area - but it's not for me)

i mainly want something to wear with slim skirts/pencil skirts, to smoothe things out. i've always been afraid to wear things like that, but i'm becoming couragous now.... would a high waisted long leg thing do the trick better? all of the shaperwear i tried on at the dept. store like this made huge bumps on my thighs, and hurt a bit... so i thought i'd try the waist nipper/cincher on it's own, and i'm hoping rago will be better that that sad thing i have now...

sorry, i ramble! any advice would be appreciated!

Lillemor

One Too Many
Regarding functional (not just "decorative") garterbelts; I regret that I bought modern functional ones because those clasps or fasteners are of plastic and not metal. So I worry that, that little detail might shorten the life of the garterbelt. I don't know if there's a way to buy metal fasteners for replacements?

Sorry, I don't have any experience with cinchers because none of my fitted tops or dresses are THAT fitted.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
maybelaughter said:
i bought a cheap cincher at W*M, the sort that's elastic with some light boning, and it (the boning) pokes out in little mountains over my ribs.... not good! do the Rago products do this?
In my experience, they do not do this. Only cheaper ones do.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Lillemor said:
Regarding functional (not just "decorative") garterbelts; I regret that I bought modern functional ones because those clasps or fasteners are of plastic and not metal. So I worry that, that little detail might shorten the life of the garterbelt. I don't know if there's a way to buy metal fasteners for replacements?

Sorry, I don't have any experience with cinchers because none of my fitted tops or dresses are THAT fitted.

You used to be able to find metal garter clips on the notions rack at fabric stores, but last time I checked they're all plastic now. Probably the best option is to salvage clips from worn-out girdles -- I've done this, and the only caveat is that sometimes the button part of the clip will separate from the rest of the tab. The glue holding it in place will give out when you least expect it, and if you don't lose it completely you have to super-glue it back in place. The modern clips have the advantage of having the button part molded in one with the back of the tab, so at least that's one advantage.

Up until fairly recently, the "functional" garter belts sold by J. C. Penney under the "Adonna" brand still had metal clips -- the last one I bought, around 2002, did. I haven't seen these in the stores lately, though, so it might be worth searching EBay for them. They're very durable and reasonably inexpensive.

Heather

Practically Family
I bought a garter belt at Macy's last December with metal tabs. I believe the brand is "Jezebel". I have yet to wear it but planning on wearing dresses as much as possible this summer! HTH!

$ally

One Too Many
Funny, I've been looking into this myself. I like Spanx and Assets at department (and some discount) stores. Also, a friend and I now try the bridal shops for foundation building.
Where have I been? When did designers start calling merry widow a torsolette? Now they have these seamless long-line foam bras with no boning. I'm going to have to buy one because it looks so much better under satin.

Heather

Practically Family
I have a flexee's waist cincher that I bought after having my second daughter (she's now 2years old). I've since lost all my baby weight so it no longer fits me. The only problem I had with it, was the front would bulge out when I'd sit down. Other than that, I liked the support it gave. I'm seriously considering spending some of our tax refund money on a corset. I don't want to tightlace but would like to do waist training to add some more definition to my waist (would also give me more options for vintage clothing since what fits me in the bust, is too small in the waist). I'm also considering getting another waist cincher but rago's version. Thoughts?

PS

A-List Customer
Get a rago. once you compare it to the flexees you'll see that flexees has no business calling that belly band a "waist cincher". big difference. huge.

Lareesie Ladavi

One of the Regulars
I have a flexees and I like it quite a bit. I think it's hard to get around some of the bulging without the heavy boning that comes from corsetry. Even corsets have to be heavily boned, so they won't create rools. I think event he thinnest beanpoles have the same probs without the right corset.
I need a new cincher...Any Rago model that anyonme would recommend?
The ones I've seen I wasn't too impressed by, (but ehh they're control cinchers, they suck anyhow). One Prago cincher looks very simular to the Flexees and the 21 model (retro inspired) seems to sit very low on the hip, so it would create indentaions.
I honestly don't like any nipper/cincher because you can see the the boning and closure hooks through form-fitted clothing. Ehh the hell with it, I'm getting a tummy tuck! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner