Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Girdles, Corsets, and Underpinnings

Status
Not open for further replies.

PS

A-List Customer
Mentha,
Has it arrived yet? I go sans with piece like that. I know it doesn't seem like it but once you sit to use the restroom, its really not in the way. You will have some stage fright but you should be ok.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
mentha said:
Well, here's an embarrassing question for ya: what to do when you're wearing your step-in and you need to go to the ladies room??? Seems like a challenge, or is a step-in one of those things you don't wear undies under? Hope not, for that seems, well... kinda drafty... ;)

I have this one: http://www.dollhousebettie.com/girdles/364-high-waist-zipper-girdle.html
She doesn't seem to be wearing anything under it, but that may as well be cosmetic for the photo shoot ;)

I wear loose-fitting tap pants over mine -- that was the common approach during the Era. The idea of wearing underpants *under* the girdle is primarily for modesty in catalog shoots and such.

mentha

Familiar Face
Thank you for your responses ladies!
I think I'll go with LizzieMaine's approach. No panties in my Victorian bloomers, no problem (many, many layers of long skirts and such), but (though I'm really comfy with myself and definitely not pruedish) I'd rather have a bit more coverup in more 'current' era-wear ;)

Lillemor

One Too Many
From my very little experience, wearing the tap pants/knickers over both looks and feels better.

I regret skimping on my first garter/stocking purchases. I wasn't sure it was for me but the modern, soft plastic fasteners aren't that easy to attach to the stockings. Mine are only a little better than the cheap, purely "aestetic" lingerie types. I think harder metal ones would've been easier to maneuvre under and over the stockings and snap, if that makes sense.....So now I've learnt that!

How long is it supposed to take for a practiced person to put their garter and stockings on?:eek:

mentha

Familiar Face
Another good question :) I do wonder if I'll ever speed up with my step-in. I have to put in on over my head (big hips... taking it off is easier, then it does go south... weird) and that's not something you want to do in front of a significant other, for it's sure to be a horrible sight, haha!

PS

A-List Customer
Try rolling your step in up before you but it on, that way its not a push and pull fiasco. So you roll the top down to the bottom, step in, pull it up to where you want it and then un roll. Much faster.

Sometimes I get my garters on no problem then other days it take what feels like ages. So who knows?[huh]

mentha

Familiar Face
Hi PS, you think it'd work? I have already thought of doing just that, because I can get it off easily by rolling it downwards, just haven't tried it out yet ;)

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
mentha said:
Well, here's an embarrassing question for ya: what to do when you're wearing your step-in and you need to go to the ladies room??? Seems like a challenge, or is a step-in one of those things you don't wear undies under? Hope not, for that seems, well... kinda drafty... ;)

This question is answered many times over in this thread. Some gals wear tap pants over (which really only works if you pull your OB girdle high up over your waist). Some of us find that it's easiest to just wear thongs and pull them to the side.

exquisitebones

A-List Customer
i havea modern garter, in no means vintage.. is it harder to attach vintage ones?

I can attach all my garters to my stockings in no time. i have never had a problem with it taking too long. is it hard with vintage ones?

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
exquisitebones said:
i havea modern garter, in no means vintage.. is it harder to attach vintage ones?

I can attach all my garters to my stockings in no time. i have never had a problem with it taking too long. is it hard with vintage ones?

It's not really a question of new vs vintage. If it's a new one with plastic grips, it's going to be difficult. Vintage or not, with metal grips it's much easier.

exquisitebones

A-List Customer
oh weird. Mine are plastic grips and I just put them on. its really easy for me?
Ok, so I guess I wont worry when i do make the jump to a vintage garter.
thanks.

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
a random question...I love back seam stockings, and really want to wear a pair to Prom this year. (I couldn't find them for homecoming :( ) I'd rather get a pair of Back seamed pantyhose, to eliminate accidents that could happen on the dance floor.I'd rather NOT be running for the bathroom to fix my stockings. If I can't find pantyhose, I"ll have to get stockings, which I think means one of those belt things that hook the the stockings? (I'm not quite up on what's called what) but I know Hot Topic has them for cheap, has anyone bought Hottopic's stuff? how does it work?

Laura Chase

One Too Many
If you want to avoid accidents, don't get one of those hip belt things. In my experience, they slide down, and are nothing but bedroom-wear. You want something sturdy, something that grips your hips and goes up to your waist, something like this:

glamour.longlinebragirdle.tn.jpg

girdle.powermeshzip.tn_1.jpg

Inky

One Too Many
Caity Lynn said:
a random question...I love back seam stockings, and really want to wear a pair to Prom this year. (I couldn't find them for homecoming :( ) I'd rather get a pair of Back seamed pantyhose, to eliminate accidents that could happen on the dance floor.I'd rather NOT be running for the bathroom to fix my stockings. If I can't find pantyhose, I"ll have to get stockings, which I think means one of those belt things that hook the the stockings? (I'm not quite up on what's called what) but I know Hot Topic has them for cheap, has anyone bought Hottopic's stuff? how does it work?

I don't like garters and all that business either, so I got some seamed cuban heel pantyhose from foottraffic.com. They weren't cheap, but they have held up over three wearings so far (and that's to go swing dancing). They have both nude and black available. And even though they call them "tights," they are pantyhose weight, not a heavy opaque weight.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Caity Lynn said:

Victoria's Secret. They're a little on the pricy side, but I have found them to be very durable and run-resistant.

mentha

Familiar Face
How about a pair of stay-up stockings? Far from authentic, but really easy ;) I don't know if they're widespread in the US, but having had a look around her in Holland, they're about the only kind with seams I can find in the stores here. Either that, or order online ;)

Lareesie Ladavi

One of the Regulars
KittyT said:
It's not really a question of new vs vintage. If it's a new one with plastic grips, it's going to be difficult. Vintage or not, with metal grips it's much easier.

Agreed. It is very hard to find metal garter belts, in stores. I have one and they are a lot simpler than plastic...they are made better too.

Thigh highs are a bit more difficult to attach than nylons. The thicker the fabric, the bigger the pain in the butt. Sometimes I have to attach then below the band.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass