Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Girdles, Corsets, and Underpinnings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rosie

One Too Many
Hi Daisy, I use this Rago: http://www.ragoshapewear.com/html/21.shtml

SA-21_plus.jpg

I like it but truthfully, it wasn't as cinch-y as I wanted it to be, I'm hourglass shaped but very hippy and derriere-y so it felt a little loose in the waist. I took it in about 5 inches total and now it feels nice and snug. It shapes nicely. If I wear my high waisted pant girdle and this cincher, I can get down about 2.5 inches but, I'm a big girl, I don't have a big stomach but, I'm probably softer and fluffier than you so maybe I'm able to squeeze in more. [huh] Hope this helps a little at least.

ITG

Call Me a Cab
The thing I would worry about with cincher type things would be pushing the skin (or fat in my case) out. I had to buy a wedding bra for my dress and it's a bit too big in the chest but fits below that and looks great with the dress. But I tried on a size smaller that fit better in the chest and tighter through the hips and midsection. It actually ended up pushing up more flesh upwards to wear it wasn't flattering between my shoulders in the front. So I got the bigger one. I was at Fredricks of Hollywood the other day and they have a cool boned black corset that ties in the back that I ordered from online. I may try it with my regular clothes and see how that works.

Rosie

One Too Many
Oh, ITG, I know just what you're talking about. I get that with my training corset. I'm big all over but, my waist is actually small for someone my size. With this cincher, I haven't had that problem. Since I've taken it in some, it's very comfy. Before, it would move up and down, it was annoying.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thank you so much Rosie and ITG. I will look at both the Rago and the Fredericks. I like the idea of a tie back, not all of them do, I figure I can wear it looser or tighter, depending on the dress.

By the way Rosie, I stole the cookies form the cookie jar!!!!

ITG

Call Me a Cab
The one I got was the Hollywood Dream Corset, onsale for $49 (I tried on my bra size at the store and that is what fit, so I ordered it online and am hoping it fits too). I am not going to post a link due to the iffiness of our policy and not wanting to break the rules, but you can google it. I got it in black. If you also google "Frederick's ONline coupon" you can find sites that will give you a coupon code to get a further discount. (If you spend over $75 you can get $10 off OR spend $100 you can get $20 off).

RedShoesGirl

One of the Regulars
how comfortable is a waist cincher to wear all day on the job, where one sits quite a bit? i think my back would love one when i am working in the field and on my feet, but not sure about office work. do you feel crunched?

my field work involves hiking around in hiking boots (no stockings needed here), laying on the ground to photograph wildflowers, driving etc. maybe a cincher for just the walking part! :)

rsg

Rosie

One Too Many
Well, I've been sitting a lot since I've been home for the summer and it isn't very bad at all. Actually, if I wear it under my pants girdle, it's fine, I tried wearing it over (don't ask me why, I was being dingy that day) and it slid around A LOT. But, if if has skin contact, it kind of sticks on and that's that. Also, it's very good back support, I just sit higher and straighter when I'm wearing one.

RedShoesGirl

One of the Regulars
Rosie said:
Well, I've been sitting a lot since I've been home for the summer and it isn't very bad at all. Actually, if I wear it under my pants girdle, it's fine, I tried wearing it over (don't ask me why, I was being dingy that day) and it slid around A LOT. But, if if has skin contact, it kind of sticks on and that's that. Also, it's very good back support, I just sit higher and straighter when I'm wearing one.

thanks!

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
how comfortable is a waist cincher to wear all day on the job, where one sits quite a bit? i think my back would love one when i am working in the field and on my feet, but not sure about office work. do you feel crunched?

I wear them to my desk job, and I find them to be pretty comfortable to the point that I don't even notice I am wearing one. I do have one merry widow that takes a good two inches off my waistline, and it becomes slightly uncomfortable after 10 hours of wear--but not terribly so.

BonnieJean

Practically Family
another place to purchase foundations

I just ordered a Rago 1361 from the Crepe-Suzette website. (I didn't link it here because I wasn't sure if its appropriate enough) I've recently purchased some garter belts and stockings from them and really liked the service and their prices seem to be pretty good. If you enter CS in the coupon section and check Priority Mail shipping, you'll get free shipping. (Its OK to share this because the email I got said I could share it with friends) They have a good selection of colored Ragos too as well as other brands I'm not as familiar with.

I think I've become addicted to ladies foundation wear because I just can't seem to have enough of these lovely items! Maybe there's a 12-step program for my addiction??

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Corset pattern HELP!!!

I am going to be making an 1870 - 1895 overbust corset from a pattern I ordered from Patterns of Time. The pattern comes with all sizes, but my question is, I have a natural 28", size 10 waist and want to reduce it 4 inches. Would I cut out and use the size 10 pattern (28.5") or the size 6 (25")pattern? Lauren... maybe you know? [huh] Thank you!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Don't forget that a good many homes in the '30s and '40s didn't have central heating -- my grandparents' house, which they moved into in 1945, never had a furnace the whole 35 years they lived in it. And in a house where the only heat comes from a kerosene stove, it gets mighty chilly in the winter -- so woolen undies were a very welcome buffer against the cold! (I wouldn't mind having a nice woolen slip myself!)

Rosie

One Too Many
I was asking my mom about wool slips not long ago. My commute, by public transport :( will be much longer now and I'm not at all looking forward to those cold days waiting for the bus or train.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
~landgirl~ said:
Hello all, have been searching ebay for some vintage knitting patterns and stumbled upon this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vintage-Under...tcZphotoQQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It made me laugh! Woollen undergarments in the 1930s? I would be interested to hear some further information on this!

In England, especially in large country houses, you would be greatful for wooly pants and vests! Most of them are freezing, literally. Not unknown to have ice inside the window panes in the morning.

Also, I have done Steam Railway events in winter and a really long woolen vest that comes down to the knees is a God send, especially in skirts!

GOK

One Too Many
Miss Sis said:
Not unknown to have ice inside the window panes in the morning.

Oh dear, that brings back some memories. Brrrrrr. Still, I've never resorted to woollen undies, either in or out! lol

I'm pretty sure you can still buy undies like those ones - they're usually thermals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner