Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Girdles, Corsets, and Underpinnings

Status
Not open for further replies.

SarahLouise

Practically Family
Fleur De Guerre said:
I have to watch this! I have apair of the sort of cycling shorts shaped gripper knickers from M&S, but the only thing with them is that they mean I don't concentrate on sucking my stomach in! So I try and stick to only wearing them with my pencil skirt I have that is a bit small in the hips and use muscle power in my looser ones!

I can't wear my girdle under pencil skirts as I get a bulge at the thigh that is too obvious. Really it's too small as I bought my waist size and my wasit/hip ratio is almost 13" so it's a bit tight. It's fab under full skirts though as it trims so much off my hips.

I know what you mean about sucking in your tummy! I never wear a pencil skirt when I'm feeling even remotely bloated as I'm so conscious of it. I think I might try the shaper shorts for now as I'm still looking into all of the different types of girdles on offer. Did you buy your girdle from What Katie Did?

Laraquan

Familiar Face
Oh, I wish I could afford a corset! They look divine but all seem to be around the half a grand price. At least the ones online look worth it, the ones in the only shop I know that stocks them are ugly as sin for the same price. Well, I suppose one can't expect a university student to be wearing the loveliest clothes. [huh]

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Laraquan said:
Oh, I wish I could afford a corset! They look divine but all seem to be around the half a grand price. At least the ones online look worth it, the ones in the only shop I know that stocks them are ugly as sin for the same price. Well, I suppose one can't expect a university student to be wearing the loveliest clothes. [huh]

Half a grand???? Where are you looking? You should be able to get a decent corset for around $150-200 (USD, which is about $164-220 Australian Dollars).

Edit: for example, Meschantes (http://www.meschantes.com) makes beautiful high quality corsets (including training corsets) and many of their styles are under $200 (for a corset that's custom made for you!). They also offer some discounted, custom-made corsets on ebay. Ebay is a great place to look for corsets - there's a lot of junk up there, but there's also some good stuff (including vintage). Be sure to look for steel boning, a steel front busk and bi-directional lacing in the back.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
SarahLouise said:
I know what you mean about sucking in your tummy! I never wear a pencil skirt when I'm feeling even remotely bloated as I'm so conscious of it. I think I might try the shaper shorts for now as I'm still looking into all of the different types of girdles on offer. Did you buy your girdle from What Katie Did?

Yup, I have the Rago waist cincher from there too. I really need to get one of their plain 6-strap garter belts though. I can't believe I've gone this long without a sturdy 6-stap one to keep my stockings up and my seams straight!

pigeon toe

One Too Many
SarahLouise said:
I currently do not use foundation garments but am thinking of looking into them as, like many people here it seems, I have a tummy that would look better sucked in! I think the main reason I have never got into girdles etc was because I was worried that I would like the slimmer look it gives and rely on them too much, as opposed to actually trimming myself up with exercise. Now I've been liking the thought of using them as a temporary solution. Anyway, I have a question which may sound silly - do the garter belts (that you attach your stockings to) show through when you're wearing a pencil skirt? Most of my pencil skirts are quite figure hugging and I'm concerned that the belts would look really obvious. Does anybody have this problem?

Regarding the first part, I haven't gotten *too* lazy from my girdles, only because once I start gaining weight and inches on my waist, they become very uncomfortable and not so wearable! I normally wear a size 26 girdle and I'm normally a 25 1/2 - 26 inch waist when I'm trim, but ended up plumping up to a 28 inch waist this summer. My girdle was definitely unfun to wear then!

I have a pencil skirt by Heartbreaker that you can't see my garter straps through unless you're SERIOUSLY looking. It's made of a thicker cotton twill, so that's probably why. With thicker materials I think you really wouldn't have to worry that much.

Ada Veen

Practically Family
BonnieJean said:
Ada, what girdle did you purchase?

I don't think it's strictly a girdle - it's a Rago waist cincher, but it's cut low so as well as holding your waist in it keeps my stomach in. It doesn't cover the bum but if the company make one that claims to I would trust it - mine does exactly what it says! I got it from What Katie Did. I have a picture of me wearing it under a dress - it's a strange photo - I'm dancing at a wedding do and am not particularly vintage, but you can see the shape it gives. My waist is certainly not that small usually! I don't have any front on pictures but I'd definitely wear a pencil skirt now I have it and I never would before.

This is the photo:
n502278400_186642_9134.jpg

sorry it's a bit strange, but you can get the idea! That's me dancing in the blue.

Ada Veen

Practically Family
SarahLouise said:
Anyway, I have a question which may sound silly - do the garter belts (that you attach your stockings to) show through when you're wearing a pencil skirt? Most of my pencil skirts are quite figure hugging and I'm concerned that the belts would look really obvious. Does anybody have this problem?

I can detach mine, so if you are worried there's always the option to do that and wear (shock!) hold ups

Fancy Mouse

Familiar Face
About garter straps showing through, I find that my thicker woollen winter skirts don't really show them at all. Probably a combination of the weight of the fabric, the slightly knobbly texture and in some cases the pattern woven into the fabric. [huh]

PS

A-List Customer
Ada Veen said:
This is the photo:

sorry it's a bit strange, but you can get the idea! That's me dancing in the blue.

Very lovely! Your waist is tiny!!! Which one did you get?

PS

A-List Customer
Lady Day,
I can't find the exact post to quote but I seem to remember you having your waist cincher altered, take in 5 inches? Could I get the same effect just by purchasing a much smaller size than I would normally take?

LadyDeWinter

A-List Customer
Question

Can any of you ladies recommend a book about corsets and girdles of the different decades. I am interested in the history of underwear. I couldn't find much about it?

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
PS said:
Lady Day,
I can't find the exact post to quote but I seem to remember you having your waist cincher altered, take in 5 inches? Could I get the same effect just by purchasing a much smaller size than I would normally take?

I think your talking about the long line bra I mentioned?

Oh well, you COULD buy a cincher in a smaller size, but it would be smaller EVERYWHERE and might pinch your hips and create muffin bottom :eek:
If you have a cincher you dont mind experimenting on you could dart it at the waist and see how that works.

LD

SarahLouise

Practically Family
Ada Veen said:
I don't think it's strictly a girdle - it's a Rago waist cincher, but it's cut low so as well as holding your waist in it keeps my stomach in. It doesn't cover the bum but if the company make one that claims to I would trust it - mine does exactly what it says! I got it from What Katie Did. I have a picture of me wearing it under a dress - it's a strange photo - I'm dancing at a wedding do and am not particularly vintage, but you can see the shape it gives. My waist is certainly not that small usually! I don't have any front on pictures but I'd definitely wear a pencil skirt now I have it and I never would before.

This is the photo:

Your waist looks tiny! I've been looking at this particular cincher and also the underbust one, though I'm not too sure of the difference as they are both underbust. Did you go down a size or stick to your normal measurements?

Ada Veen

Practically Family
SarahLouise said:
Your waist looks tiny! I've been looking at this particular cincher and also the underbust one, though I'm not too sure of the difference as they are both underbust. Did you go down a size or stick to your normal measurements?

I went in the shop and tried them on, but I just stuck to my own measurements. It allows for you wanting a much smaller waist than you actually have, I think!

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
SarahLouise said:

If you mean the underbust girdle, the difference is that the girdle covers your bum, but the cincher doesn't. I went down a size as I was in between two. It's very good at trimming another inch off my waist, but it's quite tight around my rear, so I have to wear it with full-skirted things.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
kamikat said:
What is the difference between the Rago waist cincher and the Rago wiast nipper?

There isn't. Rago only makes on waist cincher/nipper, but in various colors/color combinations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran