Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Girdles, Corsets, and Underpinnings

Status
Not open for further replies.

exquisitebones

A-List Customer
is it just me, or do open bottom girdles only come in 26"waist and bigger?

I am a 25-26"waist, and I am afraid that the thing will be to big, I dont need a girdle per se, but I wanted to get one instead of just a garter belt (those things fall off all the time. lame)

anyway, any tips on what I should get for minial support,le?? but the high waisted-ness of a girdle??

get_atomized

One of the Regulars
exquisitebones said:

I agree, I have found some trouble finding firm open bottom girdles in smaller sizes. I think it is easier to find panty girdles with garter clips in smaller sizes online, especially vintage ones. Maybe I'm not looking in the right places

Lareesie Ladavi

One of the Regulars
exquisitebones said:

I am a 25-26"waist, and I am afraid that the thing will be to big, I dont need a girdle per se, but I wanted to get one instead of just a garter belt (those things fall off all the time. lame)

anyway, any tips on what I should get for minial support,le?? but the high waisted-ness of a girdle??

I run about a 26-27 ( The inch flunctuates depending on the holidays, and how quick I lose it). I need the support because of multiple abdominal surgeries that have left my stomach looking like, well, sh!t (for lack of a better word).
Personally, I go into stores and try them on. I believe my Flexies is a small and it's snug (no garters). It's perfect for what I need.

maggiethespy

A-List Customer
Has anyone who is not quite so endowed in the bust department worn the Playtex #4693? I'm a 36B and I just don't know how that would look on me-- if it would even fit properly.

Can anyone direct me to some reasonably priced vintage-look bras for the less-busty sweater girl?

Inky

One Too Many
maggiethespy, I picked up two Playtex 4693 bras yesterday at my local outlet store - they were having a buy two get one free deal, I couldn't pass it up ;) I was able to try it on and had them fit me to make sure it was the proper size (I wear a 38DD).

I was really surprised at the amount of support the bra gives. After years of wearing bras for a more "natural" and soft look, this really gave me a vintage bust!

I wore it last night swing dancing and it was VERY comfortable and the best part was no straps sliding down! It is definitely an "industrial strength" bra!

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
glad these are working out for you Inky...

And that this brassiere passed the dance test! I am also pleasantly surprised at the comfort and support level. Nice to get a "break" from underwire, and I always have strap fall down with one or more of my bras too.

Inky said:
maggiethespy, I picked up two Playtex 4693 bras yesterday at my local outlet store - they were having a buy two get one free deal, I couldn't pass it up ;) I was able to try it on and had them fit me to make sure it was the proper size (I wear a 38DD).

I was really surprised at the amount of support the bra gives. After years of wearing bras for a more "natural" and soft look, this really gave me a vintage bust!

I wore it last night swing dancing and it was VERY comfortable and the best part was no straps sliding down! It is definitely an "industrial strength" bra!

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
taking the Flexees test-PICS

After reading a post mentioning Flexees as an alternative to a girdle- I got one at Kohl's. Its the light support all-in-one, with legs that hit mid thigh and the top part in the front goes under the breasts and around the sides of your brassierre. Its very light compared to the Rago Shapette, and no show through even in a knit (see pics below). It puts the girls out there as its got 'em held in well with that side support construction.

I took pics with my wearing my modern style brassierre and a pair of pantyhose as there are no garters to wear stockings. I bought a size Large as its based on hip size. Every body part is held pretty securely and controlled in this. I like the lean line I got even with the pantyhose underneath. I saw little to virtually no ridge/demarcation line at the waist from the pantyhose.

I found this foundation garment very easy and comfortable to wear with ONE key exception to note: The waist to shoulder length is a bit short for me, I'm long waisted but only 5'3-1/2" tall. It dug into my very rounded shoulders but not horrendously so. Even though the fit is very good otherwise I'm going to go back to the store and compare the overall length laying the garment flat of a Large compared to an XLarge.

Overall, I would recommend this as a good alternative to the girdle, and great to wear when you have on pantyhose (such as the popular cuban heel seamed pantyhose) as opposed to stockings. This could be good with pantyhose to wear for swing dancing especially.

Since I can't post the pics of just my wearing only the foundation pieces here on FL, I also took pics of my adding a knit close fitting dance dress over it. These give a pretty good idea of the fit and shaping. I also have pic of it worn under a modern street wear outfit (Ralph Lauren) comprised of a knit camisole and knit top.

Hope this information is helpful!

359851297.jpg
359872663.jpg
359852133.jpg

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Hi MtS,

I hope you get a reply here sweetie. I used to be a 36B! That was B.C. or B Cup, or Before Children. I gained a cup size with each child (like my mother and sister did too) , and then with being heavier than I should be. Man, I would love to be a 36B again...

maggiethespy said:
Has anyone who is not quite so endowed in the bust department worn the Playtex #4693? I'm a 36B and I just don't know how that would look on me-- if it would even fit properly.

Can anyone direct me to some reasonably priced vintage-look bras for the less-busty sweater girl?

Lillemor

One Too Many
I wrote a lot of e-mails today. I forgot one of them was to my dad and I wrote a long list to him of vintage stuff I plan to buy...over a lifetime;) I mentioned foundation garments among other things.:eek: Strictly speaking, is it wrong to call anything that doesn't hold something up and in a foundation garment? Can I say I was thinking about crinolines, half slips and slips or are they not considered foundation garments?

There's no way I'm going to tell him that I'm looking for authentic looking retro garters, bullet bras, pads, etc.:eek:

I feel so stupid!:eek:

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
its all foundations (I think... )

I may be wrong here -but I consider anything that is under the "clothes", ie. worn underneath the dress or pants/skirt and shirt, or suit would be under the broad category of foundations. I think of foundations to be synonymous with undergarments. All these items are creating the silhouette or "body line" which supports the clothes to be worn over.

If this is NOT correct, other FLers please correct me! BTW, do not feel stupid- cuz' you're not! All questions are valid, there are no stupid questions. I've learned so much from reading posts here... in part that's why I'm here. This vintage thing is a whole new ballgame and so different that what many of us used to wearing, this is a learning curve... Hey, I'm even liking wearing a girdle now and a vintage style brassierre- whodathunkit...

Lillemor said:
Strictly speaking, is it wrong to call anything that doesn't hold something up and in a foundation garment? Can I say I was thinking about crinolines, half slips and slips or are they not considered foundation garments?

There's no way I'm going to tell him that I'm looking for authentic looking retro garters, bullet bras, pads, etc.:eek:

I feel so stupid!:eek:

BlancheDubois

Familiar Face
maggiethespy said:

You might try one of the Playtex Cross Your Heart styles. I like style # 15140 from
http://www.onehanesplace.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce/ProductDisplay?prnbr=15140&cgnbr=1021000000

Playtex bras are on sale for only $14.99 through April 5 at
www.onehanesplace.com

ClaraB

One of the Regulars
I know Girdlebound has already been recommended several times here but I just wanted to add my own endorsement :) . I ordered from the girdlebound website on Sunday night and I received my order in the mail today. I am very pleased with their service and the quality of the products I received from them. I ordered both the Rago 1361 obg and some fully fashioned seamed stockings. Both are wonderful.

pennyseranade

One of the Regulars
maggiethespy said:

I'm a 34Cish (too big for a B, but don't completely fill a C), so I have also been searching through "old lady bras" to find a seamed bra that gives the uplift and pointy nature of a vintage bra. I found this gem at JCPenney. It fits like my vintage bras and is available in smaller sizes. Oh yeah...it's on sale for $14.99

http://www5.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6.aspx?DeptID=50475&CatID=51849&GrpTyp=PRD&ItemID=161f382&attrtype=&attrvalue=&CMID=50475%7c51093&Fltr=BRD%3aEquals%3aunderscore&Srt=&QL=F&IND=4&CmCatId=50475|51093|51849

CherryKrissy

Familiar Face
ClaraB said:
I know Girdlebound has already been recommended several times here but I just wanted to add my own endorsement :) . I ordered from the girdlebound website on Sunday night and I received my order in the mail today. I am very pleased with their service and the quality of the products I received from them. I ordered both the Rago 1361 obg and some fully fashioned seamed stockings. Both are wonderful.

Thanks for the review ClaraB! I`ll be ordering from them in a few weeks, and I`m glad to know there service is still great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo