Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Glamorous Men?

Paul Roerich

"A List" Customer
*Whispers* ...... women aren't that complicated! *Tip toes back out.*

So does this mean that LizzieMaine is now okay with men posting in that *other* thread in the Powder Room? No? Oh.

Ah, but maybe if we men use tiny letters and tiptoe back out, Lizzie might not notice. No? Oh.

Last edited:
So does this mean that LizzieMaine is now okay with men posting in that *other* thread in the Powder Room? No? Oh.Ah, but maybe if we men use tiny letters and tiptoe back out, Lizzie might not notice. No? Oh.
No, we need to all create fake accounts to do that.We could all take on names like "Monroe" or "jackie O" lol

Paul Roerich

"A List" Customer
Learned my lesson years ago,Brother.
Horn in on a gang of women is one of the last things I want to do.
Plus..it wouldn't be very glamorous of me!
HD

:eusa_clap Slick, man ... and you even brought it back to the original topic. :)

One of these days, a very wise moderator will create a new section in this joint and call it "The Tool Shed", "The Saloon", or something. It'll be the Powder Room's glamourless, affable brother.

Last edited:

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
So we've had a lot of individuals identified as glamourous (not universal agreement on them by any means, but that's not necessary). But still little discussion on WHAT makes those individuals glamourous.
I think one facet is that they all project a quality that evokes a little sense of envy in onlookers. The feeling of "Oooh, I'd like to live his (or her) life". These are people who while not necessarily handsome or beautiful, always look their best. They have huge but restrained self confidence. Well groomed, of course. They live in the worlds of entertainment or the arts, so that one always thinks they are surrounded by other scintillating, fascinating, clever people. And they always seem so happy, happy, happy.
And to be glamourous one always has to hobnob with other people who are glamourous.

Just to touch one one previous comment, at least one baseball player was unequivocally glamourous, and that of course was Joe DiMaggio. (For you Brits and Europeans, etc., DiMaggio was a true artist of the great game of baseball, and played it with the grace of a ballet dancer.)

davidraphael

Practically Family
Gerald and Sara Murphy.

definitely!

Usually..a woman's point of view...that can be very understandable.
I've even heard women comment..'Wow..now he is pretty'! Not at all in a derogatory way.
..but if we change this into a thread of 'understanding women'..I must politely bow out....

Again, I don't think calling a guy 'pretty' is an issue. Though when a guy calls another guy pretty there can (but not always) be a slightly pejorative kick, ie, "He's a pretty boy" meaning he is clearly attractive, but perhaps a little too polished with boyish features.

In terms of the so-called 'understanding of women,' I think all that has been demonstrated so far is that they have good linguistic registers, are using words according to their correct and wider definitions, rather than their common connotations, and don't get hung up on terms too much.

All that said, I guess many of these terms are going to have different slants depending on one's location: rural, city, Europe, US, East Coast, West Coast...

Here's a 'pretty boy':
http://imgpic.gmw.cn/dt/2012-08/21/20120821191958_9824.jpg

So we've had a lot of individuals identified as glamourous (not universal agreement on them by any means, but that's not necessary). But still little discussion on WHAT makes those individuals glamourous.
I think one facet is that they all project a quality that evokes a little sense of envy in onlookers. The feeling of "Oooh, I'd like to live his (or her) life". These are people who while not necessarily handsome or beautiful, always look their best. They have huge but restrained self confidence. Well groomed, of course. They live in the worlds of entertainment or the arts, so that one always thinks they are surrounded by other scintillating, fascinating, clever people. And they always seem so happy, happy, happy.
And to be glamourous one always has to hobnob with other people who are glamourous.

Just to touch one one previous comment, at least one baseball player was unequivocally glamourous, and that of course was Joe DiMaggio. (For you Brits and Europeans, etc., DiMaggio was a true artist of the great game of baseball, and played it with the grace of a ballet dancer.)
Joe D was also married to the Most Glamourous woman of her time or maybe anytime,, Marilyn Monroe.
Best regards
CCJ

bulldog1935

Suspended
catch-me-if-you-can.jpg

a still from the movie Catch Me if You Can of a profession that was viewed as glamorous by at least everyone in the movie.

a still from the movie Catch Me if You Can of a profession that was viewed as glamorous by at least everyone in the movie.
My Mom was a Stewardess on Western Airlines in the 50's. They were glamorous - they were required to be. Also, unmarried and without children. It was a different time...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters