Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Glamorous Men?

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have to agree with AC; glamor is little more than an effective marketing tool.

Glamor embodies an ideal - flashbulbs, style, clear smiles. It also speaks to expensive accessories like nice jewelry or an expensive car. It requires a sense of popularity; you wouldn't call a fella or lady glamorous unless they're turning heads or throwing parties.

Thus, I would jump on the boat with BK in that I don't think there is a very good working definition worth apply towards a particular person. You could say Cary Grant was glamorous, but it would probably be much more accurate to say he had allure, charm, style and grace. Do those pieces make a "glamorous" person? I don't think they necessarily do. Al Capone would thus be called glamorous...and shucks, maybe he was. [huh]

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Most people who work in so called 'glamourous' professions will tell you that it ends up being just plain old work.

Having known a flight attendant and met a few pilots, I can say without a doubt, there is absolutely no glamor in the job. In fact, it's quite the opposite and results in broken relationships, unhappy people and tons of stress.

MikeBravo

One Too Many
definitely!

Again, I don't think calling a guy 'pretty' is an issue. Though when a guy calls another guy pretty there can (but not always) be a slightly pejorative kick, ie, "He's a pretty boy" meaning he is clearly attractive, but perhaps a little too polished with boyish features.

In terms of the so-called 'understanding of women,' I think all that has been demonstrated so far is that they have good linguistic registers, are using words according to their correct and wider definitions, rather than their common connotations, and don't get hung up on terms too much.

All that said, I guess many of these terms are going to have different slants depending on one's location: rural, city, Europe, US, East Coast, West Coast...

Here's a 'pretty boy':
http://imgpic.gmw.cn/dt/2012-08/21/20120821191958_9824.jpg

Now trumpet player Chet Baker was pretty

chetbaker4.jpg

Sadly, this is what heroin did for him

Chet+Baker19.jpg

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Having known a flight attendant and met a few pilots, I can say without a doubt, there is absolutely no glamor in the job. In fact, it's quite the opposite and results in broken relationships, unhappy people and tons of stress.
Same with the movie biz which most would probably consider the most glamorous of all. Take the Red Carpet at an awards show; most who walk it would rather be at the dentist.

Glamour is in the eye of the beholder, who is usually an outsider.

Hi All

Donald Trump clearly fits the definition of the term, however opions vary concerning The Donald..

Joe Dimaggio was considered glamorous after marrying Marlyn Monroe while Ted Williams the greatest hitter of all time could never be considered Glamorous. Babe Ruth while a beer drinking over weight slugger could be considered glamorous because of his stylish appearance and huge salary for his era while Lou Gehra his comtempary and teammate would not be considered glamorous. However,
I think Gary Cooper the actor that played Gehra was considered glamorous due to being a superstar actor of his time.

One needs an outgoing personality to even be considered glamorous.

Was Betty Davis or Ann Sheridan glamorous? My opinion NO

Was Ma West or Liz Taylor glamorous? My opinion YES.

Anyway this is a great thread, just my opinion. LOL

Best regards
CCJ

Hi All

Some how I forgot this was a Glamorous Mans thread. So excuse my liz taylor/betty davis reference.

I think Robert Redford and Paul Neumann were glamorous. I think Brad Pitt is glamorous.

Other great actors of our time like Deniro and Pachino are NOT glamorous.

Richard Burton I believe achieved glamorous status because of the on again off again love/hate relationship with the very glamorous Liz Taylor. So you could say a person is glamorous based on there mate.

Some glamorous President's of our time in my opinion.

JFK
Bill Clinton
Obama

Ronald Reagan was a tad to old to be considered glamorous.

Sports figures--- Mahummad Ali was glamorous/ Tiger Woods is not glamorous.

Michael Jordan while being the greatest player ever was not glamorous. While Shag O" Neill at some time during his championship seasons was bigger then life and hobnobbed with the rich and famous of Hollywood therefore took on a glamorous life style which elevated him to be considered by some to be glamorous. Its hard to picture a 7ft 2in 350lb man being called glamorous but hey thats Hollywood and the NBA- National Basketball Association for you. They help make the glamour calls.

Cagney and Bogard were not glamorous, while Erol Flynn and Tyrone Powell were glamorous. So go figure.

TIA

CCJ

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
I think one facet is that they all project a quality that evokes a little sense of envy in onlookers. The feeling of "Oooh, I'd like to live his (or her) life".

i don't think that's just one facet. i think it's the most important one.

there seems to be at least three slightly separate ideas in this thread of what glamour is:

-natural grace, charisma, handsomeness, beauty.
-the enviable lifestyles of the rich and famous.
-a stylised type of beauty enhancement; an idealised (usually photographic) image.

all three strands often operate together, but what unites all three is that they all represent something unattainable to the average person. glamour is dependant upon envy.

Personally, I don't believe glamour truly exists.

it exists in the same way that 'fantasy' exists; a dream of something 'other' that transports us out of the mundanities of the everyday for a little while.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn