Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Glamour? Or Down To Earth Reality

Tenuki

One of the Regulars
Several people on this thread commented that the simple act of putting on vintage dress and maybe a touch of makeup is considered glam. So the question of glam or every day wear, I think was best covered by jazzbaby:

Anything not a tracksuit is considered glamourous by todays standards! Even if I wore heels and jeans (which I never would) during the day people would ask why I was all dressed up

It's like people stopped caring about how they look and I don't mean that in the sense that we need to dress for dinner, wear make-up and don some uber-fabulous fashion uniform. I mean that in the sense that when you stop caring about the little things that don't take much effort (like keeping your clothes repaired, looking decent, not wearing flip flops to work), it creep into letting the bigger things slide.

Lillemor

One Too Many
I agree with Bopeep and candy noir:
And I agree with candy noir - there's no point in dressing like Ginger when you're really a MaryAnn. We're bombarded with the images of pin-ups and bombshells that we forget about the Every Woman of the 40s-50s who was equally gorgeous in her own right.

I haven't been to any events and I'm sure I'll completely butcher the vintage look the first many times but when I see photos from events the most memorable to me are the ones where I simply think someone's made an effort to dress authentically for the time of day/occassion/setting and not all the in-character-of-you-name-her/him or some who might be considered glamorous today but in the time when their clothing was contemporary, might've been considered crash and cheap in style.

But personality certainly does matter and if I'd met some of the people whom I think look a bit OTT in photos and seen how it fits their real persona then perhaps it wouldn't look so odd to me. There have always been "off" and "loud" people, thank goodness.:) It might've had more consequences for their reputation back then.

If I knew someone really wanted to look authentic and ordinary for their chosen vintage decade I might help them find more every day pictures, litterature and film clips to gain inspiration from if it seems that they've only had pin-ups as their inspiration. It's something I imagine one needs to be delicate with and I passionately want to help people with their hobbies if they really burn for it so I often end up hurting feelings with my well intended bluntness.:eek:

Gingerella72

A-List Customer
Paisley said:
For daytime, I always fix my hair and put my makeup on, which takes 15 to 20 minutes. I don't wear eye shadow or fake lashes or polish on my fingernails. I put on some simple jewelry and decent clothes (no worn-out jeans, workout clothes, sweat shirts or hoodies or flip-flops). By 40s standards, I'd be casual; by today's standards, I'm dressed up. If I were in Nebraska, I'd be a glamor-puss.

Yep, you're right! lol

People here wear jeans to weddings and dressing up to go to a play (because here, going to the "theater" means going to see a new flick at the 8-plex cinema) is nonexistent for anyone under 70.

I'd love to wear vintage or vintage-inspired ensembles along with the hair and makeup, but I'm afraid I would stick out like a sore thumb, and I am so not the kind of personality that can take it in stride. I would get crazy looks all day and questions about if I lost a bet.

Any living history reenactments around here are limited to a handful of museums where the staff dress in period clothing; there are no gatherings or events that take place. So, I would have nowhere to really wear any vintage glam outfits, even if I owned any. :(

I am, however, in the process of losing weight (60 lbs, 20 lost so far) and when I reach my goal size and begin buying new clothes again, I plan on purchasing more vintage-inspired pieces to mix in with my modern wardrobe. I think I could pull that off without any weird looks at work. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR