Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Glenn Miller Orchestra

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
My family and I were delighted to watch the Glenn Miller Orchestra perform Friday night. It was the fastest 90 minutes of my life. The music was awesome. The showmanship was excellent. If you are fortunate to have them come to an area near you, go see them!
http://www.glennmillerorchestra.com/
Sorry no pictures. photography was prohibitted.

CharlieB

A-List Customer
When I was in high school (late 1970') I got to see a concert by the "Airmen of Note". They were the band that portrayed Miller's Army band in the movie The Glenn Miller Story. Some of the members had been replaced, but many were still in their playing. Closest I could hope to get to the original bands!

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I saw the Glenn Miller Orchestra in 1979 or '80 and very much enjoyed it. Odd to think it's been nearly as long since I saw the orchestra as it had been then since Glenn Miller's passing.

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
Back in the early 90's, I was a USAF recruiter in Chambersburg PA. A gentleman by the name of "Hotty" Bowers came in to my office. He was an old guy in his 70s or so. He said he was the drummer for for the Glenn Miller Band. Great guy and good story teller. I never asked if he was in the original band or the off spring. But still a great guy. So where ever you are Hotty keep beating those drums.

Sarge

One of the Regulars
I even kept all of the programs. :0)

GMO.jpg

Edward

Bartender
I'd love to see them. I did, this past August, see John 'nephew of Glenn' Miller and his orchestra - great night. All the better for the setting.

Green&Grey

New in Town
If you'll forgive the bragging (I only do it because I'm so proud of him) my brother is currently touring with them as their male vocalist. I try to see the Glen Miller Orchestra whenever they're in the area, partially so that I get to see him more than once a year.

cco23i

A-List Customer
We put up some of our ground crew stuff in the breezeway when they were here in AZ a couple years ago and everyone loved it!

Scott

Cricket

Practically Family
As usual, nothing is planned for my state...Mississippi. Glancing down the tour schedule, I got really excited when I saw a concert planned for Chattanooga. Was getting ready to grab the hubby when ..... it is on our due date for our second baby.:)

Looks like we will miss this year. But I am looking forward to "that one day."

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
If you'll forgive the bragging (I only do it because I'm so proud of him) my brother is currently touring with them as their male vocalist. I try to see the Glen Miller Orchestra whenever they're in the area, partially so that I get to see him more than once a year.
Your brother did a great job with his soloes and group. Awesome you should be proud. Great voice and stage presence.

StraightEight

One of the Regulars
Last time we saw the Orchestra was at the USS Hornet in Alameda. They usually play there at least once a year. The hangar deck is a great venue for seeing the Orchestra and for dancing. If you get a chance, catch the Artie Shaw Orchestra as well.

Chas

One Too Many
It's a shame that Artie Shaw's USN "Rangers" Orchestra was never recorded. Compared to what him and his band had to endure, it could be said that the GM unit had a pretty soft ride. They were bombed on Guadalcanal, struggled to keep their instruments from falling apart in the jungle and played island-hopping gigs to men that were literally pulled out of the line to hear them. From all reports, he had an excellent band.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
It's a shame that Artie Shaw's USN "Rangers" Orchestra was never recorded. Compared to what him and his band had to endure, it could be said that the GM unit had a pretty soft ride. They were bombed on Guadalcanal...

Shaw apparently suffered permanent hearing loss because of close rounds.
I found several YouTube Shaw interviews taped late in his life. Fascinating fellow.
His Nightmare cuts like a knife; and the eleven bar clarinet solo in These Foolish Things
Shaw claimed as his best improv. His relinquishing the clarinet is part of the puzzle Shaw drew....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy