Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Glenn Miller

Fibber Mcgee

New in Town
Anyone gone to the Glenn Miller Orchestra? We went last night and it had to be the best two hours of music I ever heard. They do 300 concerts a year so they are probably near most of you . Not to mention the honor of watching it with the greatest generation.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
I like Miller's stuff, but generally prefer his work which pre dates December 15, 1944.

One of my favorite of his sides:
[video=youtube;EfmDjB7WKz4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfmDjB7WKz4&feature=youtube_gdata_player [/video]

Miller composed and arranged the number. The "Room 1411" referred to in the title is the number of the apartment that he was sharing with Benny Goodman at the time.

Last edited:

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I'm a BIG Miller fan. I saw the modern "Miller Band" in New Jersey about 30 years ago, I found it more or less passable. But I had seen the Ray McKinley version in the 60s as a kid. I would imagine the current band has come a long way in terms of musicianship. It's a great thing that the Miller sound is being preserved.

Edward

Bartender
I've never seen this outfit, though I have twice seen the John "Nephew of Glenn" Miller Orchestra. Tremendous fun, especially as it was in a venue with a dancefloor rather than a sterile concernt hall...

Fibber Mcgee

New in Town
Your never going to get the same sound but they do well and there is something to be said for experiencing it live. And I loved seeing the reactions of the people that do remember the original orchestra several of whom said they had seen Glenn Miller live.

hatguy1

One Too Many
Anyone gone to the Glenn Miller Orchestra? We went last night and it had to be the best two hours of music I ever heard. They do 300 concerts a year so they are probably near most of you . Not to mention the honor of watching it with the greatest generation.

Yes. They visited our fair city a few years ago. Loved it!

When I was a kid, more of Miller's original surviving band members were still in the Orchestra. They played at the Moose Lodge one night and my folks took our family. Hanging with Dad as he stepped outside with a bunch of guys his age for a smoke break. The conductor of the Orchestra was one of the guys out there. He apparently one of Miller's officers in Europe and took him out to the airfield the morning he disappeared. He claimed that the fog was so bad and the pilot still determined to fly across the Channel, he commented to the pilot about whether it was safe to fly in that fog. The pilot's comment? "Well, ya can't live forever, but we'll be ok." And, of course, neither were seen again.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I've never seen this outfit, though I have twice seen the John "Nephew of Glenn" Miller Orchestra. Tremendous fun, especially as it was in a venue with a dancefloor rather than a sterile concernt hall...
The 'Miller' band to whom you refer, are the resident band, year on year, at The Twinwood Festival. Have you never been?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner