Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good Vintage Boys or Girls Names...

Godfrey

One of the Regulars
My wife and I are expecting in April next year and are trying to find a good vintage name for the new bub. As a "Godfrey" I'm already on the path to the Vintage name hall of fame. So looking for something uncommon but pleasant - evoking the Golden era.

Suggestions very welcome!

MikePotts

Practically Family
Bertram!.........you could call him 'Bertie'

My son's name is George (Andrew) that works too, we call him Geordie......usually ;)

My Christian names are actually John Michael, I sometimes wish my parents had called me 'Jack'....:eeek:

MikePotts

Last edited:

Godfrey

One of the Regulars
Thank you all for these. Elsie was my Grandmothers name - so its on the list. My personal favorite 'Winthrop' - my wife isnt convinced! She is keen on Marlon and Arthur. Also like Bertie and Hazel - nice ring to them. Looking forward to more ideas. Thanks

MissDecember

New in Town
Family names:

Dorothy
Max
Archibald (called Archie, of course)
Helen
Viola
Oliver
Henry
Ruth

And I'm an Elizabeth, because my father thought that Elizabeth Taylor was just about the best thing since sliced bread.

MikePotts

Practically Family
My son George, a secretive soul apparently, was predicted by modern methods to be a girl until his birth. Until then we had decided to name 'her' Ailie after a name in a Scots folk song.

MP

Last edited:

AdrianLvsRocky

One of the Regulars
Some "vintage" names are lovely and others.......not so lovely! My family had a Habakkuk. Very biblical (if that's your thing) but doesn't roll off the tongue! No offence to any Fedora Lounge Habakkuks!

Other (nicer) family names include:
Mollie
Lily
May
Rose
Mary
for the girls - all cute but increasingly popular these days. Other less popular (because they're Welsh!) are:
Bronwyn
Aurona
Eira
Enfys.

Male family names (again getting more and more popular):
George
John
Jack
William

My great uncle was Beniah (Ben for short) which I've always thought was lovely and my husband has a lot of Aneurins in his family which is another name I love.

Last edited:

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
My mother is a Mollie Ann. :) I've always loved the name Mollie.

I've always liked Myrtle and Norma for girl's names. And there is always the option of naming a girl child after the months, May, April, June, etc.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

When picking a name for your child, one unfortunate task it to take the first name, middle name(s), and last name and make a decent junior high try at making something filthy out of it. An old friend's last name is King, couldn't name a son Richard or John (Dick and Jack). There were at least seven or eight more examples he gave. My son's name is Martin, the only thing we could come up with was "Fartin' Martin" which ain't that bad in the whole scheme of life.

Later

Some "vintage" names are lovely and others.......not so lovely! My family had a Habakkuk. Very biblical (if that's your thing) but doesn't roll off the tongue! No offence to any Fedora Lounge Habakkuks!

I always liked the name Nicodemus.

Adam Aston -- Nikodem (Nicodemus) (1933)

[video=youtube;z2VSR_4xFp0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2VSR_4xFp0[/video]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran