Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Goodwill Hat

Lon Goval

Familiar Face
Two of my favorite thrift stores are Goodwill and Salvation Army (especially the Boutique). I find the best quality stuff at Goodwill as a general rule. Both also have a "senior discount" and Goodwill is open on Sundays.

This was my "find" last Sunday at Goodwill. It was hanging on a hat rack and was tagged at $3.99!!! MADE MY DAY even though the wife gets to wear it!! Gotta keep her happy!!

PA220002.JPG
PA220003.JPG

There were three hats locked in the showcase, but they were all wool, $15 and all western.

Ralph

carter

I'll Lock Up
BRAVO! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
Good eye and a real find! I'm certain that keeping your spouse happy was the 1st thought that crossed your mind when you spotted that hat. :rolleyes: ;) :)

Lon Goval

Familiar Face
My Size - NOT!

Carter, I usually figure that any hat I see is too small. Being a 7 1/2 LO, I don't expect to find anything that fits me. I'm sure you know what I mean since you are in the larger size category. The wife is a 7 1/8 LO so I give her the hats that range from 7 to 7 1/4. She has way more hats that fit than I do. Plus I wear a hat anytime I leave home so I trash hats regularly. That's what the beaters are for.

Now I need to get rid of the hats that are smaller than 7 to make room for the ones we are keeping. I'm stuck with several stingy brims in my size since I'm finding out I like larger brims from 2 1/2 on up. My last 2 western conversions I went with a 3 inch brim and I'm happy with that size. It might not be the perfect width for my head/body type, but I like it.

Ralph

pplepic

Familiar Face
Thrift store hats

Wow! Beautiful hat. I haven't had luck in thrift shops (so far), but have picked up some really nice hats in antique shops as well as at flea markets. I deplore today's method of offering new hats in only small, medium and large. I understand that in real cheapies, but I see sites offering Borsalinos, Stetsons, Dobbs, etc. in only those choices. Maybe I'm an old grouch, but even if a small, medium or whatever fit well, I wouldn't own it.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Thrift stores are being discovered in a big way these days, what with the hard economic times. Small, local stores are still the best place to score real bargains. Goodwill's CEO brings in 900,000 bucks per year, last I heard. Salvation Army gives generously to local community folks who are needy, so I shop there, despite the relentless religious rock pouring from speakers throughout the store. Maybe that's their way of keeping the number of shoppers below the fire marshal's limits.
:eusa_doh:

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Shopping at Goodwill is like looking for a pearl in a pile of poo. But with persistance you do find a pearl now and then. I've found an awesome Borsalino, a Stetson 25 Open Road and a nice Resistol. But thats after 100s of visits. But it's great fun to look. Here in Eugene we have have numerous Goodwills, Salvation Army and St. Vinnies to cruise.

fedoralover

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Halifax is great for thrift shopping. A lot of students and a lot of old people, with not as much in the middle as other places, it seems, which means a lot of good vintage, and a lot of neat trendy stuff with not so much of the '70s and '80s garbage you usually run across.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner