Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gordon and Ferguson M422a

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have owned this size 42 G&F jacket since last year but have just got round to posting some pics. IMO G&F made some of the most stylist M422a naval jackets and they are, as most know here, highly collectable. This one from a 1943 contract is in really superb condition. The goatskin is soft without any issues. The lining is perfect. The previous wonder added an original label, which shows more wear than the rest of the jacket. The knits have largely escaped moth attacks. The mouton is beautifully fresh and lush. The original Talon zipper functions perfectly. It's a really comfortable, smart jacket to wear.

Measurements: Pit to pit: 22", Shoulders: 19", sleeves: 26", front (along the Talon zipper): 24" and back (from base of collar to bottom of waistband): 26.5".

005_zps85e19698.jpg

012_zpsca8817b5.jpg

011_zps6f3ef8c0.jpg

010_zps6e3d9967.jpg

008_zps66fea3a2.jpg

016_zpsd1a3d37e.jpg

015_zps0521b99b.jpg

014_zps3ec07b50.jpg

Buco

Familiar Face
Stunning coat and great fit, looks immaculate considering its age and im guessing its worth a pretty penny.

I have a G&F Transport Coat from 1942 and it is stunning also, im certain mine saw plenty of action judging by its worn condition, would love to have known the history behind it

AviatorBRZ

Familiar Face
Beautiful jacket. :eusa_clap
It's amazing how people can keep it brand new for almost 70 years. I'm wondering, how many jackets each aviator/or officer received in those days, to be able to storage one without use.
The only problem with have this kind of jacket is not have courage to wear it. (I'm one of those)

"Today I'll go out with my 1943 jacket........ NAH! Gonna put the E(AS) from 70's again" :D

PS. Those kind of tags/labes are pretty fragile, hun!? I always see them with the gold/yellow letter faded

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
The 422, G-1, and ANJ jackets have always been more comfortable and user friendly than the A-2 because of the bi-swing back and gusseted underarms. The mouton collar provides significant warmth in cooler weather. This jacket is a nice case in point.

too much coffee

Practically Family
The 422, G-1, and ANJ jackets have always been more comfortable and user friendly than the A-2 because of the bi-swing back and gusseted underarms. The mouton collar provides significant warmth in cooler weather. This jacket is a nice case in point.

Well put Fanch....and let's not forget the Naval series jackets have a 50% increase in number of pockets with their larger capacity.

Regards,
coffee

Aerojoe

Practically Family
Hey Andrew, very nice G&F :) I specially like that smaller collar.

I'm wondering, how many jackets each aviator/or officer received in those days, to be able to storage one without use.

I think they had only one jacket when they finished at the flight academy.

However, when leather jackets were replaced for cotton B-10s and then for nylon jackets like B-15, there were a lot of private purchases. During the Korea war a lot of pilots still wore A-2s and m422/G1s. On this web there are plenty of pictures;

http://navypilotoverseas.wordpress.com

FAFOO68

Familiar Face
Hello Andy,
Very nice jacket, it's an idea or this G&F seems fit you more like a "wartime / military fit" jacket than the BK Willis & Geiger you showed us in summer ?
Regards,
Fab

FAFOO68

Familiar Face
Andrew,
Sorry to "nickname" you Andy , we didn't have the opportunity to drink some beers together! mea culpa.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80