Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gray/Black/Charcoal Stingy Brim?

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
I’m wearing browline glasses these days, and it’s put me in kind of an early-1960s frame of mind. I have a nice old Stetson in green with a 2- or 2.5-inch brim that I really like, but I could use something in a gray/black palate. Any suggestions? Thinking equivalent quality to my Akubra Federations.

Thanks!

tealseal

A-List Customer
I’m wearing browline glasses these days, and it’s put me in kind of an early-1960s frame of mind. I have a nice old Stetson in green with a 2- or 2.5-inch brim that I really like, but I could use something in a gray/black palate. Any suggestions? Thinking equivalent quality to my Akubra Federations.

Thanks!
I have no experience with either, but I'd take a look at the Hampton and Trilby on Hats Direct. I imagine that they would satisfy your requirements for a decent price.

tealseal

A-List Customer
Yes, I think either of those would do nicely. Whew, though, I guess the Australian Dollar has gone up a bit since I last purchased. Thank you, tealseal.
Glad I could help. Please post a review of any of those you get here!! I get a stingy brim twinge once in a while but am hesitant to commit (btw I don't consider the two inch brim of the Saxon a stingy brim).
Indeed the AUD exchange rate isn't as good as it once was. It was even better when I bought my Fed in November of 2011. However, for the quality of felt you get with Akubra, IMHO it's still worth it. Best of luck! And, to invoke a catchphrase,, "Pics or it didn't happen!" :D

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
I'd also suggest keeping an eye on ebay. I see a lot of stingys on there for good prices (at least in my size).

Also, hatsdirect has the Akubra Whippet in addition to the Hampton.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo