Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Great British television.

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
Lately my cable has been out.The bill is in my girlfriend's name and she decided that whiskey was more important for a few months. As there is virtually no non-cable reception in NYC anymore (our transmitter went down with the WTC and has never been properly replaced) I have been forced to visit the local video store more then I'm used to.
I've found some great stuff to rent, some of which you all are probably aware of, but is new to me:
THE OFFICE - This is my favorite sitcom of all time. The neatest thing about the whole thing is that the 12 episode run and additional two specials work to tell a incredibly moving story while seemingly going nowhere. Anyone who has ever worked in an office or large business or even gone to high school could surely relate to this show. However, those who are not cynics or fans of grim humor should stay away from this.
TINKER, TAILOR, SOLDIER, SPY + SMILEY'S PEOPLE - Wow. Very dry, slow-moving, no action spy thrillers that somehow I find myself riveted to. Alec Guiness's underplaying of George Smiley is divine dreariness. All of the actors in these series shine. The life of a British spy as not seen through the eyes of Ian Fleming. Mudane details. I've never seen Patrick Stewart deliver a better performance, and he has not a line to speak.
CRACKER - Great, great detective soap opera starring Robbie Coltrane as an arrogant, alcholic, gambling-addicted criminologist/shrink. This shows starts off slow but builds into an unbelieveably complex drama committed to realism at it's ugliest, and is also very funny, studded with future stars and suberb writing and acting all around. Both LAW AND ORDER and especially THE SOPRANOS rob this show blind.
Anybody have any other rental suggestions?
Irish? Scots? Brits? Help...

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
Check out "MI-5" that's what "Spooks" is called here in the States.
I believe it plays on A&E and a few series available here on DVD.
Loads of great actors and good intrigue and plots.

As always,
The Wolf

macawber

Familiar Face
My favourite British comedy series is "Dad's Army" it is easily available and was made in the late 60's or early 70's. I remember the first time I saw it I liked it immediately. I have the series in VHS and was going to watch an episode today, but something came up. It is still as fresh as when I first saw it, and I am devoted too about anything that shows on our public broadcaster that is British.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
The Office...

...is one of my all time faves. You're right- anyone who has worked in an office can surely relate to the atmosphere, politics, inane management, subtle and not so subtle flirting. Cringe-making and moving modern British comedy at its best.

I've heard of an American version too...

'The League of Gentlemen'? Did you get this in the US? Bizarre, cruel twisted British comedy...

B
T

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
BT..."THIS forum is for looooocal people.."

BellyTank 'The League of Gentlemen'? Did you get this in the US? Bizarre said:
"BT, you aren't from around these parts are youuuuuu? This forum is for loooooocal people, like me and Tubs!" Just love it..!!!!

Witless Evil

New in Town
Danger UXB

One of the best shows I remember seeing from British television was "Danger UXB." It showed on PBS only once that I recall even though it was made in the 70s?? What I remember of it was a very suspensful well done series about bomb defusers working in London during the early part of WWII. This is one show I would like to catch again.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
The Office was great stuff, very funny, and it gets funnier if you see it more than once.

Paddy's right, the very twisted League of Gentlemen is also a riot. (Now get back to polishing your precious things, Mr. P.)

Little Britain is also worth a look-see, though it is a little bit derivative of TLG.

Three drama series that leap to mind as being of possible interest to Loungers are:
Brideshead Revisited; set in the GE and really very much about nostalgia. Also one of the all time great television series from anywhere.
The Singing Detective; Dennis Potter's take on the detective story. much better than the Americanized film of the same name.
Pennies from Heaven; also by Dennis Potter and also beter than the Hollywood film. This has Bob Hoskins in the Steve Martin role.

I can think of a lot of other great British television, but I don't know whether the rest would interest others here, so for now, that's it.

PS Cracker is really good television, fantastically well written and performed. If you haven't seen it, take Mud In Yer Eye's advice and rent it.

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
How about "The Prisoner" and "The Avengers" (the original 60s episodes)? Also liked "Dave Allen at Large". Dave Allen would end each show with a great monologue. (delivered while smoking a cigarette,glass of booze in hand...a wee bit drunk..).

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Awww. I'm the only one who doesn't seem to like "League of Gentlemen!" A little too twisted for me. But I do like Monty Pyton, Black Adder, Keeping Up Appearances, Fawlty Towers, and Are You Being Served.

Mycroft

One Too Many
Nick Charles said:
I like the Granada Sherlock Holmes seris with Jeremy Brett, its wonderful.

I agree with that.

Here my list (not in order)

-The Avengers
-The Prisoneer
-The Saint
-The Persuaders
-The Thin Blue Line
-Black Adder
-Monty Python

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
The first British show I can remember watching as a kid was Monty Python, which probably explains a lot! :p Then, by the early 1980s, Dr. Who was my favorite.

A couple of years ago, my wife got me hooked on "As Time Goes By," starring Judi Dench and Geoffrey Palmer, to the point where we ended up collecting the complete series on DVD. That's the first series we've done that with. Beats any American sitcom hands-down, and it's good clean fun! My wife says I'm just like Geoffrey Palmer's character, Lionel. I guess that's a compliment, but I'm really not sure. :confused:

Brad

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for reminding me, Sefton

I use to Dave Allen a lot. Also "The Two Ronnies", "The Goodies" and "Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin".
Every once in a while I'll hear someone here say they don't like "British comedy" and I wonder what they mean.
Alec Guiness? Peter Sellers? Monty Python? Dave Allen and Benny Hill were quite different from each other. It seems like there is quite a variety.

As always, confused,
The Wolf

David V

A-List Customer
My favorites that have not already been posted:
Secret Agent
the Hercule Poirot mysteries
the Miss Marple sieres with the late Joan Hickson

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member