Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Great Makeup Tutorials

Drappa

One Too Many
I've now watched four of her tutorials, and they are amazing! She does, Audrey, Marilyn, red lips, Pin-Up looks, etc.

[video=youtube;oPt8orN449g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPt8orN449g&feature=related[/video]

Drappa

One Too Many
[video=youtube;RAneUTr8mog]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAneUTr8mog[/video]

[video=youtube;M1sHwEZATpg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1sHwEZATpg&feature=relmfu[/video]

[video=youtube;fl-Ye52XDRA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fl-Ye52XDRA&feature=related[/video]

Cara Wheeler

New in Town
I loove her!! Have you seen pixiwoo's Marlene Dietrich tutorial? They have tons more under playlists and then "period looks". Another huge favorite.

[video=youtube;_0N0iyuYVNI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_profilepage&v=_0N0iyuYVNI[/video]

pineapplefruitcake

One of the Regulars
That's so crazy ! I discovered her not two days ago thanks to Lisa Freemont Pages and here she is again ! You're right though she has some wonderful tutorials !

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
I was only watching Pixiwoo's tutorials the last day myself (why oh why can I still not see YouTube video's when people post them here?!) and as much as I admire the artistry of all the different looks she does (she is very, very talented) I'm not sure I like that much make-up on someone. There is so much sculpting and shading etc. that it removes a lot of the person's own features - the amount of make-up used results in an almost mask-like effect.

But that's just my preference - I like quite light make-up but I would love to be able to do what she does (particularly the liquid eyeliner!) but perhaps tone it down a little....

pineapplefruitcake

One of the Regulars
Miss Golightly - I actually meant the Lisa Eldridge videos :)
I know exactly what you mean about it making a mask effect - I have freckles and if I put that much make-up on and completely obscured them it would look very fake and I definitely think there's a difficult line between making yourself look a little better than you do naturally and making yourself look completely different to the way you do naturally !

Plus, no matter how amazing the makeup looks I still think back to the girls in highschool who's makeup came through the door before their faces did - and that's unsettling. That being said they're still fun to look at - even if not the most practical :)

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Miss Golightly - I actually meant the Lisa Eldridge videos :)
I know exactly what you mean about it making a mask effect - I have freckles and if I put that much make-up on and completely obscured them it would look very fake and I definitely think there's a difficult line between making yourself look a little better than you do naturally and making yourself look completely different to the way you do naturally !

Plus, no matter how amazing the makeup looks I still think back to the girls in highschool who's makeup came through the door before their faces did - and that's unsettling. That being said they're still fun to look at - even if not the most practical :)

Oops! Well, I've seen Lisa Eldridge on tv but not her tutorials (for the last few months I can't see any video's posted on FL - there is just a black space - I have no idea why and I'm not that computer savvy but if someone could throw some light on this it would be much appreciated!). I think freckles are nice - I have some too - particularly if I have been on holiday (even though I wear SPF everyday all year round) and I think they are quite cute! I think make-up is there to enhance what you have got and not change completely what you look like! It's like everyone raving about Kim Kardashian's make up - I don't like it at all - far too much eyeshadow and lip gloss!

And I agree with you about girls in highschool with too much make-up on - it looks so bad - always too dark foundation and tide marks on their jawlines!!!!!

pineapplefruitcake

One of the Regulars
haha not to be mean but we used to call those high school girls oompa loompas since their skin was orange and their peroxided hair went green in the pool at swimming !

Drappa

One Too Many
I agree that she uses too much product in these, but I watched some of her other tutorials (Kristin Stewart) in which she uses much less. I'd like to know what she uses to get it all off again!
And I can't imagine who would like Kim Kardashian's make up - she looks like a high end hooker on any given day and you just know that she must be very insecure to do all she does to herself.

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
I totally loooovvve the Lisa Eldridge video she does on Marlilyn's style!!!!

I just watched the Marilyn one and she did an incredible job - followed by the Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast at Tiffany's one - superb to say the least! She is so informed and I really think she captured both looks perfectly. I liked the fact that when she did the Audrey one that she said to avoid bronzer and gloss - so many tutorials for this look include both and it's not accurate....

Miss sofia

One Too Many
I loved both the Marilyn and the Audrey. I love the fact she has done her research. I will certainly watch more of her tutorials. I don't know about anyone else but there are so many on Youtube i get flummoxed by all the choice.

Slightly off topic, but i did read somewhere Whitey used to put a very thin line of gold liner or pencil on top of Marilyn's eyeliner, to make her eyes really pop. I have tried that and it really does work well for evening makeup.

DigThatBeat

Familiar Face
I love Lisa Eldridge but her Marilyn tutorial is very inaccurate, all 1920s-50s tutorials are, but expect more from LE because she is a collector of vintage makeup. It's not her fault though, 'Marilyn's beauty secrets' myths have been floating around the web and magazines for a while, so that's probably all she found when she did her research.

DigThatBeat

Familiar Face
The end result is a very Marilyn look, but most of the process/technique and "facts" about MM's routine are made up.

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Slightly off topic, but i did read somewhere Whitey used to put a very thin line of gold liner or pencil on top of Marilyn's eyeliner, to make her eyes really pop. I have tried that and it really does work well for evening makeup.

There is one studio portrait of Marilyn that springs to mind where you can clearly see the gold liner - I can't find it at the moment but will try to get my hands on it. Also, there is a quote from Whitey Snyder in the new Marilyn book "Metamorphosis" where he describes how he made her up - it's a bit long but if I get a chance to type it out or find it on the net I'll post it.

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Ok - here is the whole quote from Whitey - thank goodness I didn't have to type it all out!!!!!!

"I can sit here and do the whole thing in my sleep. Put the base all over, lightly. The formula we used that perfectly matched her natural flesh tone was to mix a quart of Max Factor’s ‘sun tan base,’ a half cup of ‘ivory’ coloring, and an eyedropper of ‘clown white.’ Then, highlight under her eyes. Pull the highlight out over and across the cheekbones to widen. Highlight her chin. Eyeshadow was toned, and that also ran out to her hairline. Then the pencil on top. I’d outline her eyes very clearly with pencil, but I’d make a peak right up-say almost three-sixteenths of an inch- above the pupil of her eye, and then swing it out there. And from there on out was where we put eyelashes. Also, the bottom line was shaded in with a pencil to make her eyes stand out fully and good. Her eyebrows came out to a point at far as I could get them to widen her forehead. So I’d bring them to a peak just outside the center of her eyes and then sweep down to a good-looking eyebrow. You couldn’t go out much farther than that or it would look phony. Shading broke the bones underneath her cheekbone. I just brought a little line down there, a little darker shadow, so that it helped her stand out. Lipstick, we used various colors. At first, we had a hell of a time with Cinemascope- no reds photographed anything but auburn. We had to go to light pink."

-Allan “Whitey” Snyder

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner