Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Greetings

HATCO

Vendor
barrowjh said:
Hatco - I am curious about felt, and maybe you can get an answer for this without having to get specific about your felt-

Is there a preferred single fur for hatmaking (ignoring cost as an issue), or is there an advantage from blending furs (different fur brings different attributes to the table)?

If cost is no matter, Fur from the beaver's belly is the best.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Douglas, those hats are amazing. It'd be great to see something like that on the market. I wonder if there'd be demand.

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I wonder if there would be too Dman, it seems this type is a cross between a fedora and a western type. The Boss Raw Edge is the hat that started me on serious collecting.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Douglas ,that hat is old. Probably turn of the century.
I'm sure that hat was made with beaver or nutria. Wanna sell it??

Steven

DOUGLAS

Thanks for the info Steven, Not on your life. In the twenty years or so of buying hats seriously I have only seen three of this type. I have two.

deanglen

If there is no demand, there should be. Those hats are absolutely perfect from my p.o.v. Why the heck couldn't they reproduce the style, if not the nature of the materials?

dean

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Douglas, This is spooky! Somebody gave me this hat five years ago.

P1040072A.jpg

P1040072B.jpg

P1040073.jpg

P1040074.jpg

P1040075.jpg

Do you suppose they made it, off and on, for many years; or did they revive it for a brief run, not so many years ago? Maybe Mr. Range could help.

DOUGLAS

Cool looking hat J.T., I have similar hats that were made in the Seventies and Eighties.

hatflick1

Practically Family
Welcome to the Lounge.
Any chance Hatco might make Resistol fedoras? I only find western hats from that old respected brand.
And I also agree with fellow Loungers who have requested classic vintage styles from all companies Hatco represents. Hats are back. At least in LA.
When I wear a vintage Stetson or Dobbs around Hollywood, I can't tell you how many (much) younger people ask where I got it. Enthusiam fades when they learn from Ebay auctions. So they go on buying those dinky Britney Spears/J-Lo fedoras.
Perhaps Hatco copuld consider a "Heritage Collection" as offered by Akubra.

Seeking enlightenment...one hat at a time.

deanglen

hatflick1 said:
Welcome to the Lounge.
Any chance Hatco might make Resistol fedoras? I only find western hats from that old respected brand.
And I also agree with fellow Loungers who have requested classic vintage styles from all companies Hatco represents. Hats are back. At least in LA.
When I wear a vintage Stetson or Dobbs around Hollywood, I can't tell you how many (much) younger people ask where I got it. Enthusiam fades when they learn from Ebay auctions. So they go on buying those dinky Britney Spears/J-Lo fedoras.

Took the words right out of my mouth! I second your ideas, Hatflick! Terrific concept!

dean

Rick Blaine

INDEED!

hatflick1 said:
Perhaps Hatco copuld consider a "Heritage Collection"...

Four iconic Stetson hats:

1. Stratoliner

2. Whippet

3.Playboy

4. (open crowned) Open Road

That is what I would go out of my way to buy, if the felt were decent. The Akubra made Stetson Open Road that I have recently acquired, said to be 10-15 yrs. old, has felt that is certainly (to my eye) comparable to my Vintage Stetson Royal Deluxe Open Road that must be 50 yrs. old. I would, without hesitation, drop a C-note for a comparable contemporary Stetson in all of these iconic designs. Heck, I'd buy one in each color, even!

The Outlaw Kyle

One of the Regulars
I second that Rick. A whippet in my size, in nice plyable felt, from an American company would be worth at least $150 to me, slightly more if it was beaver. From a market standpoint it seems like this would be do-able. HATCO would just need to position itself in price some where between Akubra on the one end($75-$100), and a custom on the other(+$300). If Adventurebilt can make a hat for $175, with out a large production line, it would seem like HATCO could make a similar or better hat for the same price or less. I might be wrong here, I'm just talking.

HATCO

Vendor
DOUGLAS said:
Mr. Range, any information on these two hats would be greatly appreciated.
Both hats have a similar style,including the ribbon and bow. neither has a liner and I don't believe they ever did. They both have real reeding as part of the sweat band even though the sweats are different. Any info is helpful.
Thank you.

As BESDOR says those are turn off the century hats. As far as giving them a specific date of manufacture, in my research I was unable to come up with a conclusive answer, so I really have to give you a time frame. I can tell you that we have some of those stamps like the number 1 quality from way back then. Those are hats to be treasured. We have a number of vintage hats that we keep in a very safe place. I will try to take some pictures and post them when I have time.

HATCO

Vendor
hatflick1 said:
Welcome to the Lounge.

I'd never say never, but the reality is at this moment we would be cannibalizing our own sales in Stetson and Dobbs dress hats while incurring new costs in creating a dress line of Resistol hats. I am in the process of making people here aware there is a market for "heritage" style dress hats. We will see what will happen in the coming months.

warbird

One Too Many
HATCO said:
I'd never say never, but the reality is at this moment we would be cannibalizing our own sales in Stetson and Dobbs dress hats while incurring new costs in creating a dress line of Resistol hats. I am in the process of making people here aware there is a market for "heritage" style dress hats. We will see what will happen in the coming months.

Most excellent.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
I know that Paul Lavoy , the president of Stetson is very passionate about reviving the Stetson dress line. We had quite a few discussions in my store about this. The problem is that most of the people on the lounge understand quality and will pay the price to get it. But the average guy will faint if the prices are any higher than what they are now. Many retailer now are having a big problem as we all received a large price increase this year. I would not be suprised to get another one next year as well.

Steven

DOUGLAS

Thanks for the info Mr Range. A general time frame as to when that type was produced is fine.I always thought that every major hat company would have kept a least visual record (if not the hat itself) of the styles it made just as a reference. I would very much like to know where that very safe place is. I need a few more hats to complete my Stetson collection.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic