Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Greetings

HATCO

Vendor
Hello,

I work at HATCO. I've been observing the board for almost a year now. I thought it might be a good time to register and announce myself. If you aren't familiar with HATCO, we manufacture the Stetson. Dobbs, and Cavanagh brands of Dress Hats as well as Resistol and Charlie 1 Horse Western hats.

Why am I here? Basically I will do my best to clear up any discrepancies or misinformation in regards to our hats or hats in general. If I do not know the answer, we have 3rd and 4th generation hatters here who are very knowledgeable. There may be certain questions I will be unable to fully answer regarding vintage hats as the people with the exact knowledge have since passed on. In any event I will try to give as complete an answer as possible.

As far our new hats we make, I know that we do not have the greatest reputation on this board, and I aim to change that.

Though we had some initial mis-steps when we moved our dress facilities to Garland TX, we have made great strides since.

I hope that with our improvements, and your constructive input, you will give us another chance to sell you a quality hat proudly made in the USA.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Welcome! It is indeed great to have you here - I think you will find many questions, lots of great ideas, some combativeness, and a very deeply genuine desire to help HATCO in any way possible to make the best production dress hats in the United States!

carter

I'll Lock Up
Originally posted by HATCO

As far our new hats we make, I know that we do not have the greatest reputation on this board, and I aim to change that.
Though we had some initial mis-steps when we moved our dress facilities to Garland TX, we have made great strides since.
I hope that with our improvements, and your constructive input, you will give us another chance to sell you a quality hat proudly made in the USA.[/

Welcome aboard Hatco, I live just a few miles from your facility in Garland. Is it possible to visit your facility either individually or as a group of interested FL participants?

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Welcome HATCO!

I'd like to welcome HATCO to the Lounge!
As someone who is a big vintage hat enthusiast,
I want to say I believe you guys can still make great
hats if you want to, and a better product will find
a better market! I am very curious to hear what you
make of the discussions on this list, the designs created
by Art Fawcett and others, and the market for production hats.

I have an almost infinite number of questions regarding
vintage hats and prospects for affordable, quality hats from Hatco.
Here are a few off the top of my head:

- Any chance you'll start production on a fedora with a
"mode" or "Cavanagh" edge?

- Do you plan to produce a fedora of the sort vintage fans here
would like to see, with these attributes:
+ high crown
+ wide brim (2.5" or 2.75" brim)
+ sold open crown with felt good enough to hand form/bash
+ quality soft roan sweatband
+ minimal stiffener
+ stands up to rain with no tapering or loss of color

Think 40s Whippet or Stratoliner.

Historical question for your 3rd and 4th generation hatters:

- Can you describe the processes that made "Nutria Quality",
"Clear Nutria", and "Clear Beaver" Stetson felts?

I am forcing myself to stop here. My apologies if I ask too
much already. You will be a real asset to this board and I
think this board will be (and perhaps already has been) a
real asset to you. Thanks in advance.

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
What a delight to welcome you here. I live about 80 miles from you. My wife and I were in your Outlet Store, last Saturday. I have to compliment your guys on the floor. They know their product! And, once you select a hat, they cheerfully offer to brush and shape it. They do this with great care, for which they will accept a tip, but will in no way demand one. Thanks for what you do in Garland, and for coming on board, here. :)

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Welcome HATCO, it is an asset to have you aboard. I look foward to many questions being asked and answered. Even though there have been strong words about HATCO's production hats, at the end of the day everyone here in interested in having a well made hat that can last. Any discussion about that will only bring us closer to that end.

You may want to send out a memo to the older gents at HATCO. They are about to be inundated with dozens of questions.

HATCO

Vendor
Beat me to the punch

carter said:
Is it possible to visit your facility either individually or as a group of interested FL participants?

You beat me to the punch. I was going to announce that later on. Yes I would be willing to show members around the plant as long as they don't mind seeing a majority of western hats though the hat finishing process is very similar. The only caveat I will give you is that the tour will be 45 minutes to an hour. A bit longer if you would like to see the straws being made as well. The reason being is sadly, I have a lot on my plate. I can take groups of 3-4 at a time so if you can plan accordingly I would be more than willing to show you around a hat factory thats been around for almost 8 decades.

feltfan said:
I'd like to welcome HATCO to the Lounge!
As someone who is a big vintage hat enthusiast,
I want to say I believe you guys can still make great
hats if you want to, and a better product will find
a better market! I am very curious to hear what you
make of the discussions on this list, the designs created
by Art Fawcett and others, and the market for production hats.

I have an almost infinite number of questions regarding
vintage hats and prospects for affordable, quality hats from Hatco.
Here are a few off the top of my head:

- Any chance you'll start production on a fedora with a
"mode" or "Cavanagh" edge?

- Do you plan to produce a fedora of the sort vintage fans here
would like to see, with these attributes:
+ high crown
+ wide brim (2.5" or 2.75" brim)
+ sold open crown with felt good enough to hand form/bash
+ quality soft roan sweatband
+ minimal stiffener
+ stands up to rain with no tapering or loss of color

Think 40s Whippet or Stratoliner.

Historical question for your 3rd and 4th generation hatters:

- Can you describe the processes that made "Nutria Quality",
"Clear Nutria", and "Clear Beaver" Stetson felts?

I am forcing myself to stop here. My apologies if I ask too
much already. You will be a real asset to this board and I
think this board will be (and perhaps already has been) a
real asset to you. Thanks in advance.

I second all of this and welcome you. I have an infinite number of questions but most center around increasing quality centered on colorfastness of hats and quality of materials used.
Any examples of new styles that are currently in production that might exhibit vintage style and quality?

Regards,

J

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Question about my new hat

I bought this in your outlet, last Saturday. I asked the floor man if he had any others like it. He said it was a salesman's sample that got thrown into the inventory. Can you provide more info? Obviously, Borsalino now has a COLOMBIA facility. Is this now, or is it about to become part of the HATCO empire?

P1040046.jpg

P1040047.jpg

The liner says, "Made in Colombia," and the sweatband says, "Licencia Colombiana."

P1040048.jpg

P1040049.jpg

By the way, I love the hat! And my wife likes it even more than I do. It's good fur, with just a little bit of stiffiner in the crown. The brim has an obvious stiff layer between two layers of felt. The shape is slightly more Western, or Australian than fedora. Most of all, it looks good and feels good!

HATCO

Vendor
J.T.Marcus said:
I bought this in your outlet, last Saturday. I asked the floor man if he had any others like it. He said it was a salesman's sample that got thrown into the inventory. Can you provide more info? Obviously, Borsalino now has a COLOMBIA facility. Is this now, or is it about to become part of the HATCO empire?

J.T.Marcus said:

I can unequivocally say no. There could be a number of reasons for that hat being there. It could have been bought to see the quality of the felt, as we like to keep up on our competition or it could have been a sample that a salesman brought to our attention.

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
Greetings Hatco

I was just wondering what position you hold with the company. I read through your posts so far, and you really don't say. The makers/sellers of quality hats on this site are very above board with who and what they are.
While it would be wonderful to have an insider at Hatco, that could listen to our wants and needs, I would just hate to see someone take advantage of the great people here at the FL.
If I missed it or it was mentioned elsewhere, I'm sorry for asking this question.
I hope no one takes this in a wrong way.
Colby Jack

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Welcome to the Lounge, Hatco!

It sure is encouraging to see you here. I think it saddens a lot of us here to have to tell newcomers how great Stetson hats once were, but to avoid the newer ones and go vintage or elsewhere. It would be great to be able to confidently suggest a new Stetson (or one of the other Hatco brands) to a friend interested in getting into hats. The fact that you're here and listening is a very good sign!

Regards,
Tom

Snrbfshn

A-List Customer
Add me to the welcoming committee...

As you are the keeper of the most famous brand in hats, it's great to have you in the Lounge. For most all of us, what has gone on at HATCO, and what has happened to your famous brands, has been a mystery.

If your goal is turn the spotlight once again on fedoras, you've come to the place where the torch burns brightest.

Glad to have you belly up to the bar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24