Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Greetings

buler

I'll Lock Up
HATCO said:
Oh I'm still here, I check in regularly...

Hello Mr. Range. Just wondering if there are any plans to open a Stetson museum? Seems like a product/brand that has become an eponym (I had to look that up) deserves such a tribute.

B

"An eponym is a general term used to describe from what or whom something derived its name. Therefore, a proprietary eponym could be considered a brand name (trademark or service mark) which has fallen into general use."

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
buler said:
Hello Mr. Range. Just wondering if there are any plans to open a Stetson museum? Seems like a product/brand that has become an eponym (I had to look that up) deserves such a tribute.

B

"An eponym is a general term used to describe from what or whom something derived its name. Therefore, a proprietary eponym could be considered a brand name (trademark or service mark) which has fallen into general use."
What a great idea!

buler

I'll Lock Up
One other question I don't think has been asked. Do you have any records/knowledge of Stetson making hats for private labels? Like Lee hats made the JCPenneys Marathons... etc.

thanks
B

HATCO

Vendor
My records only go so far back. Stevens hats which has owned the Stetson license since 1970 was bought by Hatco in 1986. I wouldn't be suprised if they did private label. Supposedly Cavanagh had certain hats finished here at the Resistol Factory back in the 30's under the Cavanagh name...

Midwest Boater

One of the Regulars
greetings , back in the 70s i purchased a straw hat western style Resistol brand , it was called jus' right im sure of it,i cant find it anywhere. net and ebay included i must have a replacement for that hat . please give me any info you can on it . btw it had a lower crown with a fedora kind of pinch.

HATCO

Vendor
I'll ask around but I doubt I'm going to come up with much information for you. There are a number of factors working against you.

Our database system has changed probably 2-3 times, so the records of what that hat was are probably either lost to time or a couple of bits of information on some magnetic tape that we keep in a safe for legal purposes. I'm not going to be able to get to those tapes though...

If you have a picture of the hat I might be able to figure out what kind of profile it is. That would help a lot.

marvelgoose

One of the Regulars
HATCO said:
Our database system has changed probably 2-3 times, so the records of what that hat was are probably either lost to time or a couple of bits of information on some magnetic tape that we keep in a safe for legal purposes. I'm not going to be able to get to those tapes though...

If you have a picture of the hat I might be able to figure out what kind of profile it is. That would help a lot.

More and more it looks to me like a business or cultural historian needs to get access to Hatco records.

Midwest Boater

One of the Regulars
if i have a pic of it it would probably be in an old album at one of my folks house , i wore it all the time there may be a shot of me wearing it to a pic-nic or something ill dig around cause i loved that hat , it was cowboy but also dress or business . the straw was protected with clear vinyl , the hatter said it was a new process at that time . thanks for the help this may take some time my father is out of state.
anyhow thanks again

HATCO

Vendor
It's a Resistol they are asking about, so Gary wouldn't be the right one to ask. I know who the right person is though.

HATCO

Vendor
A Stetson museum would most likely fall to the current owners of the Stetson brand. I'm not sure that we would have the rights to do such thing. I think a better idea would be a to get the Philadelphia Museum of Art to have a permanent display regarding stetson's rich history in Philadelphia while covering America's head until 1970

They already have some hats on display. Here is one.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
HATCO said:
A Stetson museum would most likely fall to the current owners of the Stetson brand. I'm not sure that we would have the rights to do such thing. I think a better idea would be a to get the Philadelphia Museum of Art to have a permanent display regarding stetson's rich history in Philadelphia while covering America's head until 1970

They already have some hats on display. Here is one.

I like the idea, but they'll need to get someone in there who knows something about hats. I felt like I was on ebay when I read their description of the hat.lol

Brad

cptjeff

Practically Family
Brad Bowers said:
I like the idea, but they'll need to get someone in there who knows something about hats. I felt like I was on ebay when I read their description of the hat.lol

Brad
Derby or not (very decidedly not), I want that hat. Beaver with a velor finish (?), and nice proportions for me too. Sweetness.

HATCO

Vendor
cptjeff said:
Derby or not (very decidedly not), I want that hat. Beaver with a velor finish (?), and nice proportions for me too. Sweetness.

IT BELONGS IN A MUSEUM!!!!!!

indiana_jones_wearing_his_hat.jpg

sorry, you set yourself up for it... hahaha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24