Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Grey Fedora Sought...Vintage Borsalino?

Dayonfire

New in Town
Hello Fellow Lidders,

Dayonfire here...of Panama-throught-a-wedding-ring-myth fame.

I am in the market for an elegant grey fedora. I have heavily considered Borsalino for the name recognition, but posts on this site about how the quality isn't what it used to be has made me reluctant to drop a packet on a Como or Allesandro Packable.

I have found this on eBay, and am considering it: <snip>

It says bowler, but looks rather like a hat simply in need of a proper blocking. Can someone speculate on quality of this item and whether it is worth the $200 asking price? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Edit: active ebay auction link removed. --AlanC
Dayonfire

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I am guessing that you are looking at that Bulgarian guy by-way of Washington State w/ so very many lovely, albeit teeny-tiny, borsos on BIN format auctions. (Why BIN format auction links should be banned is beyond my ken, BTW. I cannot figure how exactly this differs than placing a link to a retailers website, a craigslist listing or an online vintage clothing shop w/ a specific item... issues for greater minds than mine...) They sure look great & I know a couple of the fellas here have purchased from him in the past. He is charging a premium price, but he knows what he has, obviously. As an alternative, seeing as how you are willing to drop a couple of c-notes, why not look at some of Johnnyphi's auctions? Those hats are beyond reproach and just as pristine & as lovely as the day they rolled off the line!

Dayonfire

New in Town
Apologies

Sorry, Alan.

Didn't realized posting the link was bad. I don't post here regularly.

Dayonfire

Rick Blaine

Another Possibility

HORNET HATS out of the UK will build a made to order fur felt in any of 16 colors & 21 styles for about $140 DELIVERED! I have recently come into possesion of a couple of lids from them & I must say, although not vintage, they are as close as I have seen in a modern production hat. The felt is fantastic & you just are not going to beat that price.

Ande1964

Practically Family
Hornet!

Thanks for the tip on Hornet, Rick. I just placed an order for the foldable fedora. I'll let you all know what I think when it arrives!

Best,
Anj

feltfan

Ande1964 said:
Thanks for the tip on Hornet, Rick. I just placed an order for the foldable fedora. I'll let you all know what I think when it arrives!

Best,
Anj
Did you note that the foldable comes in a Christy's tube?
Look carefully at the photo.

At those prices, the felt is Chinese or Czech, and most likely
the former, right? No info on sweatband, etc.

Rick Blaine

feltfan said:

Gee, who peed in your cornflakes this morning, feltfan?
While I have no idea of the point of origin of the felt used, these are the same Christys' of London hats that Village Hat Shop and others sell for twice as much... of course the shipping is steep at 40 USD, but still a substantial savings, eh?

I got the ADVENTURER (what, another Adventurer?) and the foldaway and I couldn't be happier with them, the foldaway (grosgrain sweat, BTW) is as light as a butterfly's wing and the Adventurer, with its radically dimensional brim (2.5" sides almost 3" front & back) swoops low over your face and (IMHO) has the Akubra Federation beat hands down, though the Christys' doubtlessly are not as resilient when used as bush hats.

Ande1964

Practically Family
feltfan said:

Egads! I've been had!

Yeah... I saw it, and decided it's still worth a shot. I've looked high and wide for a decent packable. It's one of the few things my collection lacks, and I think the Hornet is a good gamble.

I'll let you know if it pays off.

Anj

Rick Blaine

Ande1964 said:
Egads! I've been had!

Yeah... I saw it, and decided it's still worth a shot. I've looked high and wide for a decent packable. It's one of the few things my collection lacks, and I think the Hornet is a good gamble.

I'll let you know if it pays off.

Anj

foldaway.jpg

OK, I'll bite. What am I missing?

feltfan

Rick Blaine said:
Gee, who peed in your cornflakes this morning, feltfan?

I didn't have cornflakes this morning. Did you?

I didn't make a value judgement either way. Not sure
why you seem to have interpreted my comments negatively.
If you'd like my opinion, I think Ande1964 isn't risking much,
so what the heck.

Just pointed out what I thought was an interesting detail
and speculated on the source of the felt (since they don't say).
As you say, probably a deal. Interesting that they don't
make note of the Christy's name.

Rick Blaine

feltfan said:
I didn't have cornflakes this morning. Did you?

No, toast & coffee.

feltfan said:
I didn't make a value judgement either way. Not sure
why you seem to have interpreted my comments negatively.
If you'd like my opinion, I think Ande1964 isn't risking much,
so what the heck.

Understood.

feltfan said:
Just pointed out what I thought was an interesting detail

That is what has eluded me... what is the detail?

Ande1964

Practically Family
Rick Blaine said:
foldaway.jpg

OK, I'll bite. What am I missing?

I assume feltfan was just talking about the fact that this may be a Christy's hat. I don't think that's a big deal. Other vendors carry the Christy's packable a little or a lot more, depending on the exchange rate, but not in the color choices offered by Hornet. That's why I pulled the trigger. I want a light crushable in a light color.

Anj

Rick Blaine

Ande1964 said:
...the fact that this may be a Christy's hat...

Oh... [huh]
yeah, I think that is all they carry, are Christys'... never mind.

I DO think you will like this, though. I have had both the Akubra & the Lagomarsino "crushable" fur felts & this Christys' is my hands-down favorite. I have also had a few "featherweights" but this is really, really remarkably lightweight. Almost wearable in a Tennessee summer... almost.

charlie farley

One of the Regulars
Rick Blaine said:
HORNET HATS out of the UK will build a made to order fur felt in any of 16 colors & 21 styles for about $140 DELIVERED! I have recently come into possesion of a couple of lids from them & I must say, although not vintage, they are as close as I have seen in a modern production hat. The felt is fantastic & you just are not going to beat that price.

Thanks for the info on hornetshats it will save me a bundle on my first lid.:D

charlie farley

One of the Regulars
Rick,
I forgot to ask, what lids did you get from hornets?
I like their first Fedora and the Knightsbridge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn