Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Grindhouse

Feraud

Bartender
Well I said I wouldn't watch Planet Terror based on how horrible death proof (the film doesn't desvere capital letters) is.

I got crazy this weekend and watched Planet Terror..and it was excellent! It had a story, action, Rose McGowan, gore, guns, zombies, etc. :eusa_clap

Cricket

Practically Family
Feraud said:
Well I said I wouldn't watch Planet Terror based on how horrible death proof (the film doesn't desvere capital letters) is.

I got crazy this weekend and watched Planet Terror..and it was excellent! It had a story, action, Rose McGowan, gore, guns, zombies, etc. :eusa_clap

So Planet Terror is good?
I was so worried about renting it because I hated death proof. I wish they would have put both movies in one collection at the video store, but it was in different selections.
death proof seemed to have too much worthless dialogue to me. I enjoyed the chase scene but that was about it.
I think I will rent Planet Terror on my next trip.:)

Feraud

Bartender
Cricket said:
So Planet Terror is good?
I was so worried about renting it because I hated death proof. I wish they would have put both movies in one collection at the video store, but it was in different selections.
death proof seemed to have too much worthless dialogue to me. I enjoyed the chase scene but that was about it.
I think I will rent Planet Terror on my next trip.:)
PT is very good! I was worried about seeing this film because death proof was soooo bad and the two films were lumped together under the Grindhouse banner. I will say all of the dialogue in dp was worthless.

CAL-NOIR

Vendor
'Does what it says on the tin '

Personally i think both films are great , exactly what i expected from the people involved , i didn't go in expecting a Frank Capra movie !

In the U.K. i believe these films were separated in theatres & that infuriated Tarantino & Rodriguez ...undestandably . The whole concept of the 70's grindhouse double feature was that they were exactly that... a DOUBLE feature with trailers inbetween ! I think the distressed print , missing reel ( it's a joke people) & the fake trailers were fiendishly humourous little nods to the original grindhouse movies.

There was a rumour that they are actually thinking of making a movie based on the success of the 'Machete' trailer !

Coming to your screens very soon is another knowing 'homage' to an old genre , Tarantino is producer on a movie called HELLRIDE which is a Hell's Angel Biker Movie .

Edward

Bartender
I loved them too. Missed both in the cinema, and finally saw them in a reruns place (the infamous Prince Charles Cinema here in London) a few months ago when they had several screenings of them as a double feature as was intended. I loved them both - Planet Terror has the edge for me as I do love a good Zombie film, but I genuinely enjoyed Death Proof as well. Over this past weekend I picked up Planet Terror on DVD, and it certainly holds up on its own. The DVD release has the Machete trailer at the front end.

For what it's worth, there is a Japanese release of the DVDs which comes as a six disc box set, including everything that is on the separate DVDs, plus a disc which has the full Grindhouse content on it that can be watched as per the original cinematic release. I'll certainly pick one of those up at the right price - alas, I can't find it cheaper than GBP60 / USD120 or so as of yet. :eek:

Feraud

Bartender
What happened to Machete?
The imdb page is gone..
I was looking forward to this.
machete-poster-big.jpg

Pilgrim

One Too Many
I went to the pair of films with my wife and 19-year-old daughter. Halfway through Planet Terror, they walked out - just too gross and violent for them. I have never seen either walk out on a film before. Frankly, I thought that the gore was overdone and rather tasteless, but I wanted to wait it out and see what happened. It was tolerable but not very enjoyable for me. Neither of them saw Death Proof, and I doubt they could be persuaded to. I found it more enjoyable than Planet Terror, as it was less gory and more of a morality play. I didn't see any point to Planet Terror.

I thin Tarantino just gets carried away sometimes and falls into bad taste.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass