Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Grindhouse

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I have no interest in seeing this - Tarantino's alleged "style" leaves me cold.

But am I the only one who thinks that the idea of a leg-prosthetic machine gun was essentially *stolen* from the hilarious Scotsman character (voiced by the great John DiMaggio, aka Bender) of the excellent "Samaurai Jack" cartoons of a few years ago? He had a machine gun for a leg - and he knew how to use it!

I couldn't find any large images, but you can sort of see it in some of the small screencaps here:

http://www.auntiemomo.com/samuraijack/episode11.html

Live-action ripping off TV cartoons - geez, isn't that today's film industry in a nutshell?!?

Feraud

Bartender
Doctor Strange said:
But am I the only one who thinks that the idea of leg-prosthetic machine gun was essentially *stolen* from the hilarious Scotsman character (voiced by the great John DiMaggio, aka Bender) of the excellent "Samaurai Jack" cartoons of a few years ago? He had a machine gun for a leg - and he knew how to use it!

I couldn't find any large images, but you can sort of see it in some of the small screencaps here:

http://www.auntiemomo.com/samuraijack/episode11.html

Live-action ripping off TV cartoons - geez, isn't that today's film industry in a nutshell?!?
You are not the only one! I remember The Scotsman. :)

Beer Baron

New in Town
I had forgotten all about the Scotsman in Samurai Jack, that is a bit of a rip off but Grindhouse will still be cool. And to reach back to Kill Bill, I always viewed that as 2 separate movies in almost two genre's; Kill Bill 1 was a Kung Fu movie and Kill Bill 2 was a western very much like the film and tv show Kung Fu.

Trampilot

Familiar Face
Don't get me started on Tarantino!

I'm constantly having to defend my position that Kill Bill 1 and 2 are both utter tripe. 1 is the only film I've ever truly thought about walking out on - and I sat through Nell. 2 started off better but became worse than the first one. Why do I think this? Well I've seen nearly everything Tarantino referenced in his "homage" and all the films bar none are better than his. I knew from the moment I saw it a huge slice of the audience would leave thinking it was the greatest film ever made. I hated it and it ruined any feeling of happiness I have for his films.

The difference with PFiction and RDogs and to a lesser degree with JBrown is that he used his film references in a very creative way and told a story and in the case of RDogs used them for the main structure of the film. He also gave his characters a heart and soul and made them speak like poets. Kill Bill is empty. There are no beautiful monologues by Christopher Walken or scenes with two men in a warehouse talking about what went wrong. All you have is a bunch of cartoon characters killing each other. Dull and unimaginative.

I think the crescendo of my hatred was the use of the Green Hornet theme tune to accompany a plane landing. My heart sank to levels I've never before experienced in a cinema.

Despite this I will be going to see Grindhouse. I must be out of my mind!!

Chanfan

A-List Customer
LizzieMaine said:
This film has caused quite a bit of grumbling among projectionists -- it's intentionally printed to look like it's been dragged thru the distribution chain for months, complete with dirt, grime, scratches, bad splices, sloppy cue marks, and even a "missing reel." Tarantino might think he's being all hip and ironic here, but those of us who work in booths are absolutely dreading the complaints from the audience, and hot-shot art punks trying to impress their dates by hollering rude know-it-all comments upstairs.

Hmm, well, if it gets you down, just watch Cinema Paradiso! That should pick a projectionist right back up! Well, except that it makes me cry, so perhaps not…

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Doctor Strange said:
I have no interest in seeing this - Tarantino's alleged "style" leaves me cold.

Me too. They all start out great within the first 30 min, but after than, its an hour and a half of jumping the shark :eusa_doh:

MrBern said:
You cant beat DuskTilDawn.

You cant beat the first HALF of Dusk Til Dawn. The rest I Can do without.

LD

VivianRegan

One of the Regulars
LizzieMaine said:
This film has caused quite a bit of grumbling among projectionists -- it's intentionally printed to look like it's been dragged thru the distribution chain for months, complete with dirt, grime, scratches, bad splices, sloppy cue marks, and even a "missing reel." Tarantino might think he's being all hip and ironic here, but those of us who work in booths are absolutely dreading the complaints from the audience, and hot-shot art punks trying to impress their dates by hollering rude know-it-all comments upstairs.

I say... GENIUS. You folks in the silos of American culture, NYC and LA, may have the opportunities to see original grindhouse fair at art houses, but we in the middlelands can only imagine. Tarantino & Rodriguez (et. al.) will give us a peek.

I see the Kill Bills as chick flicks. Really good, violent, chick flicks. They aren't like Pulp Fiction. That was intended as an homage to its namesake. Kill Bill is a kung fu movie, with a little bit of Sally Fields' Not Without My Daughter mixed in. Also, it's about Tarantino's love for Uma's feet.

When one reach's a level of success as Tarantino (and Rodriguez) have, the work becomes so much ego-stroking that happens to bring in big box office. Haven't we learned this with the over-hyped, yet prosaic, Spielberg?

Maybe, in its purest form, that is what the auteur theory is all about. "Eff you, I can do whatever I want. Let it reflect my personality, literally," says every director lumped under the auteur label.

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
I typed a whole big thing about this flick then my computer went on the fritz.

Bottom line:
I'm aching for Grindhouse. :D

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
VivianRegan said:
I say... GENIUS. You folks in the silos of American culture, NYC and LA, may have the opportunities to see original grindhouse fair at art houses, but we in the middlelands can only imagine. Tarantino & Rodriguez (et. al.) will give us a peek.

I think thats the point. These are not 'real' as you say, grindhouse fair. They are these directors modern version of said genera. They are taking what they think it looks like (ie Lizzies comment) and building that into the film when that was just a happenstance of the technology of the time.

It just leave me numb. I see nothing thought provoking, deliciously evil, or menevolent in the movies other than explosions, explosions, blood, bloody explosions, and the like. But what am I saying, the movies are going to do great because lots are gonna see them because of name attachment alone. So good for them, making movies they want to make. But the paying homage to a past genera, that I can not agree with.

Wanna see real modern Grindhouse esque fair, see Rob Zombie's 'The Devils Rejects', that was awesome!

LD

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Lady Day said:
I think thats the point. These are not 'real' as you say, grindhouse fair. They are these directors modern version of said genera. They are taking what they think it looks like (ie Lizzies comment) and building that into the film when that was just a happenstance of the technology of the time.

It just leave me numb. I see nothing thought provoking, deliciously evil, or menevolent in the movies other than explosions explosions, blood, bloody explosions, and the like. But what am I saying, the movies are going to do great because lost are gonna see them because of name attachment alone. So good for them, making movies they want to make. But the paying homage to a past genera, that I can not agree with.

Wanna see real modern Grindhouse esque fair, see Rob Zombie's 'The Devils Rejects', that was awesome!

LD

I agree completely. I think This new grindhouse fair by Tarentino and company is like trying to make a farce of what was a wickedly up front type of movie. They aren't really emulating the pics seen in the days when theaters had b movies... they are turning b movie ideas into 'A' production value homages, and that just takes away the fun. It's like remaking Evil Dead -- again (ecsept this time with a different actor).

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Lady Day said:

It just leave me numb. I see nothing thought provoking, deliciously evil, or menevolent in the movies other than explosions, explosions, blood, bloody explosions, and the like. But what am I saying, the movies are going to do great because lots are gonna see them because of name attachment alone. So good for them, making movies they want to make. But the paying homage to a past genera, that I can not agree with.

LD

Agree. Agree. Agree.

For my money Tarantino was never as good as the hype he got. His films amount to cover versions of other films, and they have been getting less and less impressive with every outing.

Rob Zombie's trailer is the best thing about this Grindhouse.

A side note: as a troubled and troublesome teen I ran away from home and spent my first night away in a grindhouse-type cinema. I dozed off now and then but managed to see the three features a lot of times before I dragged myself out of there into the morining. There were two films I can't recall but every frame of this little gem is burned into my mind:

49188.1020.A.jpg

funneman

Practically Family
LizzieMaine said:

Anyone remember Woody Allen's "Zellig"? Rumor had it that allen took a dinner fork to the print to get that scratchy, grainy look. Plent of sloppy edits, etc. That was a very funny movie.

RBH

Bartender
I have just returned from seeing this flick. Let me tell you it was a hoot!!!:eusa_clap
Death Proof had me on the edge of my seat and Planet Terror was equally as good.
For what its worth I give it 14 thumbs up!
OK OK some of those thumbs I got from the Grindhouse :rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana