Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Grooming Set...Anyone Familiar With this One?

flyfishark

Practically Family
I just picked up this grooming set (well, actually my wife did). I understand it consists of two clothes brushes, a shoe brush, and a comb. I'm don't know anything about this. Anyone know the maker, what it is made of, or approximate age? Thanks for any info.
16lyclt.jpg

675x8m.jpg

15bqk8.jpg

Lucky Strike

A-List Customer
That looks like a very well-made set from beween, say, between the mid-thirties and the mid-fifties. Looks like wood with sterling silver fittings? Any hallmarks or other markings? The fact that the metal is used so sparingly points to sterling.

To check for silver, take it to a a good jeweller/goldsmith, they'll be able to acid-test it.

Quick and dirty option: just hold the metal in your hand, find some sterling silver, brass, and steel, and try to gauge how quickly the various metals pick up the heat from your hand and turn warm. Silver is a very good heat conductor, and with a little training, you'll literally be able to tell silver from plate (which is mostly brass or copper) with your eyes closed, from the way the metal picks up your body temp. It's easier than it sounds. I've "impressed" numerous people doing this, when valuing silver where I work, - I almost always call my own bluff and tell them the trick afterwards, though.

Have you got any close-ups of the coats-of-arms? They look well engraved, with correct heraldry for a German/Northern European family coat-of-arms. The helmet escutcheons were typically used by the lower/untitled ranks of the aristocracy. Most crests etc. can be looked up online with a bit of google-fu and some time, - it helps if you look up the various heraldic terms first.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I may be wrong, but aren't those actually hair-brushes? I believe there was a time in the 20s and 30s and 40s, when, to get that slicked-back men's hairstyle, you would put your hair-product onto your scalp and you'd work it in with the brushes by placing them on your temples and pulling them back to smooth the product through the hair and get the slicked up look at the same time.

Or maybe I'm dreaming and they really are clothes brushes. But if that's the case, why are there two of them? I reckon they're hair-brushes...

--- --- --- ---

Done some research.

Unless I'm VERY wrong, that's a comb, a pair of hairbrushes and probably a clothes brush (like a lint-remover) all in a neat little set.

Last edited:

flyfishark

Practically Family
Thanks Lucky and Shangas. This really hurts. After a great deal of discussion, I almost had my wife convinced that these were clothes and shoe brushes. This is another in a long line of "doh" moments for me lately. Thanks so much for setting me straight.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
That is a gorgeous set! I wouldn't mind if my "doh!" moments left me holding a great vintage collection! They usually leave me locked out of my car or with a flavour of potato chips I hate...

Last edited:

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Lucky and Shangas. This really hurts. After a great deal of discussion, I almost had my wife convinced that these were clothes and shoe brushes. This is another in a long line of "doh" moments for me lately. Thanks so much for setting me straight.

Very glad I could help. Now get a haircut and find yourself some Kreml, Brilliantine or Brylcreem and get to work on that perfect 1930s gentleman's hairstyle.

Warbaby

One Too Many
Beautiful grooming set! And yes, those are definitely hair brushes. I remember my grandfather using a pair of hairbrushes, one in each hand, alternating strokes. Back in the day folks didn't wash their hair as often, and a few minutes with a pair of brushes would fix the worst case of bed-hair.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I remember brushes such as those from old films and from stuff like "Poirot" or "Jeeves & Wooster". I believe there's a scene in one of the J&W episodes with Bertie Wooster sorting out his hair and he uses brushes similar to those to comb back his hair and give it that slicked-back look.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Two fisted hair brushing. Saves time, and sells more brushes. ;)
That is a top quality set from the 30's by the looks of it, and looks also to have never been used. The comb and brush bodies are bakelite, and the bristles are hog hair. Stiff but also fine to eliminate the stringiness that pomade/haircreme buildup can cause. The metal parts might be nickle plate steel? Hard to say from photos.
A very nice find indeed. Looks like a top quality set. I've seen a few at my local antiques places, but they were not as well made.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Hey guys,

I come with news. Seeing this thread reminded me of something that I've had in the house for years and which we've never used. Years ago, my dad bought a pair of brushes which he was CONVINCED were shoebrushes. After seeing this thread, I went and dug those brushes out of the cupboard. They haven't been used in at least ten years and even before then, only sparingly. here they are:

Brushes.jpg

I'm convinced that they're a pair of men's hairbrushes, similar to the ones displayed in this thread. So which of us is right? My dad or me?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I vote hair brushes due to shape and handle finish. And a dedicated leather case for shoe brushes seems implausible.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Exactly what I thought. Thanks for the opinion, Tomasso. The brushes are in near-mint condition. I've given the whole set a bit of a wipe-down and dust-off and they're now on my bathroom vanity-ledge. I agree. A dedicated box for shoebrushes sounds a bit farfetched...

The brushes in their case:

Brushes2.jpg

Done some detective-work on my brushes. Using a VERY powerful magnifying glass, I was able to read the engraving marked into the brush-handles.

"PURE BRISTLE (KENT) MADE IN ENGLAND"

And at the end of each handle is...

"EG28
EBONY"

I did some research and found this: Kent Brushes, since 1777.

This confirms that they are a set of men's hairbrushes (Yay!). I wonder if it's possible to figure out how old they are? EG28 is the model-code, but I can't find it listed anywhere.

Last edited:

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Well it took a while, but I finally got a reply from Kent brushes. This is what they had to say:

Further to your recent e-mail. We have looked through our archives and have found the EG28 men’s military hairbrush which we think was manufactured in the 1930’s. Please find attached a copy of the descriptions.

Their "attached copy of the descriptions" says that the model No. EG28 corresponds with the following description:

Oval Convex Black Ebony Back - Measurements: 4-3/4 by 2-5/8 inches - Rows of Bristles - 11 - Bristle-length - 3/4 inch - Bristle Colour - White.

Brushes.jpg

What do you think? Do we have a match? If so, then we have an authentic vintage 1930s set of men's hairbrushes...pretty neat, huh?

The attatchment also has the following description:

KENT of LONDON - MILITARY and SPECIAL HAIR BRUSHES

"Handsome, vigorous-looking brushes, strongly executed in traditional masculine styles by Kent of London craftsmen - the finest in the brush world - and as fitted to their purpose as any nicely balanced tool. Masculine dignity is flattered by the posession of these fine quality accoutrements for hair and scalp health and for suave grooming."

Last edited:

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
what it is made of, or approximate age? Thanks for any info.
16lyclt.jpg

This set I've seen pieces here and there at antique shops... nice set! This set dates to about 1933 or 1934... No later than '36 is my opinion on the overall style. It looks to be aluminum with a painted wood grain. The hair is most likely horse hair. The long center brush was for brushing shoes or clothes, the two small ones were optional for those who liked them over the comb. These pieces may have originally come in a leather like case and had a bottle for aftershave and other small grooming items. Also, it could be complete as a dresser top grooming set.

I've tried using those brushes in my hair and ya know, they work great to get a very even, smooth look!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner