Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Guess

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
In the very early '90s, I worked as a merchandiser and as an in-house packaging designer for Guess?, Inc. (Don't ask.)

Run by the Marciano brothers, a rather shady quartet from Morocco (and France), the company was famous for its highly derivative but very beautiful black & white advertising.

Ellen Von Unwerth, a brilliant photographer, took the pics ... but it was Paul Marciano, the company's advertising director, who "discovered" model Claudia Schiffer and propelled her to stardom. Simply put, Claudia looked very much like a young Brigitte Bardot. The key was putting Claudia in situations that resembled Brigitte's early movies (and paparazzi snapshots).

After Claudia Schiffer became too expensive for Guess?, several other models were toyed with; then Anna Nicole -- a kind of nouvelle Jayne Mansfield -- came along.

The Guess? ads today are nearly exact copies of the Guess? ads from the later '80s and early '90s -- which themselves were imitations of 1950s imagery. Guess? is knocking off its own knockoffs ... which doesn't surprise me one bit.

zaika

One Too Many
No offense meant to the models...but they aren't half as beautiful as Claudia or Anna. Especially in a 50's inspired shoot.

Just my opinion. Although, I do like the hair. :p

Smyat

One of the Regulars
"Hmm. A mindless idiot who will wear anything the ads convince him is cool, and then pay to perpetuate the privilege?"

"What?"

"Welll, your shirt says 'Guess'..."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou