Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

gunboats and jeans...can't do it

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Wolverine Wingtips

Wolverine just came out with a new 1000 mile boots called the Addison. A kind of wing tip pattern, way cool looking. I want a pair to wear on my motorcycles. No one will call me names because of the boots I am wearing!

Mav

A-List Customer
cptjeff said:
Florsheim002.jpg
That is a spectacular pair of Big, Brown Uglies.
Make and model? I want me some.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
cptjeff said:
Double sole? Looks to be a check.
No, and that's the defining feature of gunboats.
cptjeff said:
and what have you got against them anyway?) that kind of shoe looks great with jeans
No argument here....I love white buck wingtips.....[huh]

I wear these from Brooks Bros. Peal......Hardly gunboats......

untitled-13.jpg

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I still don't understand the problem. I didn't know the term gun boats before.
This shoes don't look so much bigger than others...do they?

Is it because the legs of the jeans are too narrow? Which kind of shoes would NOT look bigger then they are with narrow legs? Ok the sole is a little thicker but still ...

I have seen modern shoes with a strange long banana shape. I think the shown examples are harmless

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Mav said:
That is a spectacular pair of Big, Brown Uglies.
Make and model? I want me some.

Those are vintage V-cleat Florsheim Imperials I sold to Jeff some time ago. Solid shoes, for sure.

---------------

Flat Foot'; It's not just the double sole but also how it sticks out around the shoe upper, like the deck of a boat, see?

---------------

The thing is, some folks are new to and slightly uncomfortable wearing dress shoes (rather than the usual trainers or deck shoes) of any kind with jeans. I place 'gunboats' in with any wingtips or brogues, even some cap toes and refer to them all as 'dress shoes' just for the sake of this discussion.

To me, it's one of the ways I have fun with dressing. The jeans keep me from being accused of being too gussied up but I get a kick (ha!) outta' wearing nice, refined footwear and a vintage snap-brim fedora, even braces, vest or a Zegna shirt... with cheap denim.

I agree with the cuff notion, now and then at least. And the socks can be funky like argyll or a strong color. It makes the 'look' come off as intentional and not just that you don't know that you should only ( :rolleyes: ) wear sneakers with jeans.

The reverse would be David Letterman in the '80s or Ben Stein currently wearing sneaks with suits just to be funky. Personally, I like the high quality leather shoes with jeans bit better. :)

JimWagner

Practically Family
Interesting. I've never heard the term "gunboats" refer to a particular style shoe. I've always heard it used to refer to any shoe that made your feet look big, as in "that's quite a set of gunboats you've got there."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto