Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Guns and shooting advice?

DeaconKC

One Too Many
Kitty, what you describe is not uncommon with many shooters. Shooting a revolver "single action" is far easier than "double action" due to the amount of travel and the difference in trigger pull. Take your time and watch your sights. There is no magic formula, just lots of practice.

DocMustang

One of the Regulars
KittyT said:
I was hoping to avoid this topic, but here it is - I would consider taking their safety course but I will never become a paying NRA member because I just flat out don't agree with their legislative agenda and do not want my dollars supporting it.

Point of correction for the record. There are 2 separate and distinct missions the NRA supports. The first and most important is the promotion of safe, responsible firearm ownership including skill development and competition. NRA dues cover the publication of their magazines, safety and marksmanship courses, and competition.

The second is the "legislative agenda" as you put it.

The first mission is handled by the NRA. For the second the NRA has a PAC (political action committee) all political activities of the NRA must be handled through the PAC by law. An ordinary NRA membership does not support the PAC. Funds for the "legislative agenda" are raised separately. (However NRA members routinely receive requests from NRA PAC for donations)

Please note I am not advocating for one position or another. You are free to make whatever choice your concience dictates. I only write to inform and not to persuade.

warbird

One Too Many
DocMustang said:
Point of correction for the record. There are 2 separate and distinct missions the NRA supports. The first and most important is the promotion of safe, responsible firearm ownership including skill development and competition. NRA dues cover the publication of their magazines, safety and marksmanship courses, and competition.

The second is the "legislative agenda" as you put it.

The first mission is handled by the NRA. For the second the NRA has a PAC (political action committee) all political activities of the NRA must be handled through the PAC by law. An ordinary NRA membership does not support the PAC. Funds for the "legislative agenda" are raised separately. (However NRA members routinely receive requests from NRA PAC for donations)

Please note I am not advocating for one position or another. You are free to make whatever choice your concience dictates. I only write to inform and not to persuade.

Actually I need to correct something here. It is true the NRA membership dues are mainly used for the purpose of the publications and general office requirements.

The NRA Foundation handles a great deal of the training, competitions and education programs, the women in shooting and child safety programs.

The NRA ILA- Institute for Legislative Action is the branch of the NRA which handles legislative and political matters. The ILA is not a PAC, though it does have one for the purpose of election efforts, it is a 501 (c)4 organization, solely funded by contributors to that org. It like many c4 groups in DC does have a PAC and they do solicit money for election efforts for that PAC as well as for ILA itself.

A c4 for those who may care is a lobbying organization but non-profit. C4's are not tax deductible, c3's which are foundations, schools, charities etc are tax deductible. A c3 cannot participate in politics, a c4 can. A c5 is a union and a c6 is a business association. These by the way are all IRS tax code designations outlined in part 501 of the code, hence the names. More info than you probably cared to ever know, but hey what can I say.

I think your main point is that people can be members of the org w/o necessarily supporting financially a political agenda.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
KittyT said:
The main problem that I had was that my hands are very small and my fingers are short, so it was hard to find anything comfortable. I had a fair amount of trouble getting a smooth trigger pull (except on the semi-auto) so for the revolvers, I got a much better shot shooting single-action. The other big problem that I had was that I kept breaking at the wrist and slightly dropping the muzzle after pulling the trigger, so I was always hitting low. I was able to compensate for that in my aim, but I know it's something to work on.

Once you find the grip on a pistol that works for you just practice, practice, practice. I went through boxes of ammo until I had found the way that worked best for me. I also have found most people put too much finger on the trigger and it tends to knock your aim off, too.

DocMustang

One of the Regulars
warbird said:
I think your main point is that people can be members of the org w/o necessarily supporting financially a political agenda.

Thank you for explaining this in greater detail. The information provided by the various NRA magazines as well as supporting the administrative costs of all those nifty classes and competitions (apart from your tuition and entry fees of course)

No one says you have to go around with an NRA window sticker, a bumper sticker that mentions something about cold dead hands and one of those tacky ballcaps with NRA in giant yellow letters. Shoot you don't even need to carry your membership around.

I look at the NRA the same way I look at the AMA or AARP. I may not agree with everything they stand for but the discounts sure are nice.:D

DutchIndo

A-List Customer
Call your nearest indoor Shooting Range most Ranges have "Ladies Day" where they offer breaks on rentals. I taught my ex-wife how to shoot out in the Desert. She loved it she started out with a 9mm and .22 rifle . For self defense I would suggest a revolver they tend to be "Murphy Proof". If you do buy one practice with them get to know your pistol inside and out. My friends who are Professionals practice "drawing" them in front of mirrors, empty of course. Nothing worse than a new gunowner who buys one and throws it in a drawer.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
KY Gentleman said:
I also have found most people put too much finger on the trigger and it tends to knock your aim off, too.

This is most definitely one of my biggest shortfalls (is that an oxymoron - biggest shortfalls?).

Anyway, when I was qualifying for my ccw, we had to shoot a certain percentage at varying distances. I tended to shoot low and to the left, and it was quite frustrating because it was so consistent. I thought for sure my sights were off and when I commented to the instructor that I needed a screwdriver to fix the sights, he only needed to take one look at my grip. It seems my hands are slightly too large for the S&W K frame on my 686; so in otherwords, I tend to wrap my finger around the trigger.

Now it's all in the tips! (Oh delicious puns!)

DeaconKC

One Too Many
Print this off and try it out.

analysistarget.jpg

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
DocMustang said:

Thanks so much for the information. I actually really appreciate it!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
KY Gentleman said:
Once you find the grip on a pistol that works for you just practice, practice, practice.

thanks! Unfortunately, in MA I'm limited in what I can try by the fact that I cannot rent at a range and really only have access to firearms brought to practice by other 2AS members. I would definitely consider the short trip to NH though, where I would be able to rent and try a wider variety of firearms.

My dad has a Browning .22 semi-auto pistol that I think I'm going to try, and he also has a Browning 9mm semi-auto with quite a small grip on it that I think might work for me as well. We're going to see about going to a range here this week (I'm in Eastern WA state at the moment), and ranges here can rent, so I'll take the time to try to experience a little variety there as well.

My dad apparently has quite a large number of rifles (I had no idea really) and I would love to try those (as well as his shotgun! I REALLY want to try a shotgun), but unfortunately, there's no way we would make it out of the house with a bunch of rifles and go unnoticed. My mom would throw a temper tantrum if she caught us lol

52Styleline

A-List Customer
warbird said:
What WH1 said. If possible start with a .22 and a rifle at that. It will train you to pull the trigger and not flinch. They are also accurate and you will acclimate yourself to it quickly.

I fully agree. I used to be a rangemaster and instructor. I taught hundreds of people to shoot and I always insisted that they start with a 22. Building up muscle memory is vital to accuracy and if you start with a larger and louder caliber, you will almost invariably learn to flinch. For a lady, I always recommended a 9mm as the weapon to buy after they learned the basics. 9mm ammo is cheap, has reasonable stopping power, and there are many smaller frame weapons available in that caliber. I particularly like the kahr line as they make a wide variety of sizes and weights in 9mm plus they are double action only and inherently safe.

If your father's Browning 9mm is a HiPower that, next to the 1911 45acp, is my absolute favorite handgun....however, the HiPower is single action and many are uncomfortable carrying a cocked and locked weapon. That is why I suggested a double action pistol.

Enjoy your range time and shoot safely.

Flinch and anticipation.

Actually, most of the best shots in the world started with .22 calibar psitols and rifles. Because of the lower noise and little or no kick, one can concentrate on the fundimentals as to sight alignment breathing right and squeezing the trigger without developing any "flinch" so you will have better shot placement. If you learn on larger calibers the tendency to flinch is higher and it is harder to unlearn stuff than learn it. Also some people develope dropping the muzzle down in fighting the recoil and their anticipation has to unlearned. Again muzzle rise is greater with larger calibers.

Start with a 22 and learn all of the good habits then move up from there.

DeaconKC

One Too Many
A few years ago I broke a bone in my [dominant] shooting hand and had to relearn to shoot. My S&W 22 ran through several bricks of ammo as I relearned. There is nothing more fun than a good 22 and some old soda cans!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
All right, time for show and tell!

First firearm used was a Smith and Wesson 63-3 .22 long rifle 6 shot revolver. The shots that are more off-mark were shot double-action.
12-20-SW22rev.jpg
<p>
12-20-SW22rev2.jpg

Second was a Smith and Wesson .357 6 shot revolver, I didn't note the model number. A little too much gun for me this early in the game.
12-20-SW357.jpg

Last, a Smith and Wesson 22A1 .22 long rifle semi auto
12-20-SW22semiauto.jpg
<p>
12-20-SW22semiauto2.jpg

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Now that you tried the handgun..

Congrats on the shooting. I agree that the .22 is the best choice for all new shooters, ...you don't want someone's first experience to be a bad one with excessive recoil, noise, and pain.:eek:

Now that you have done the "poke holes in paper" with the handguns...maybe someone will take you to a trap or skeet range and you can try the shotgunning sports. This is a LOT more fun than target shooting paper bulls eyes.

I find shooting clay targets (moving, flying left and right) is far more challenging than "regular" target shooting. Now, the handgun sports with metallic silhouette targets, knock down, and moving are far more fun.

Check out some great web sites for many tips and resources!
I really enjoy "Shooting USA" on our TV channel...the Outdoor Life Network.

http://www.shootingusa.com/

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
KittyT said:
All right, time for show and tell!

Second was a Smith and Wesson .357 6 shot revolver, I didn't note the model number. A little too much gun for me this early in the game.
12-20-SW357.jpg

Although I can't see the image (it's blocked at my worksite) I would guess it's a 686; one of the most popular contemperary .357 models.

That's my first and favorite gun of all time. Pity it was too much for you. Then again, it does have some kick. ;)

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Undertow said:
Although I can't see the image (it's blocked at my worksite) I would guess it's a 686; one of the most popular contemperary .357 models.

That's my first and favorite gun of all time. Pity it was too much for you. Then again, it does have some kick. ;)

It's something that may just take some getting used to, and the grip on the .357 I shot was a little too large for comfort . I shot my dad's Browning Hi-Power 9mm today, it felt pretty comfortable, and my accuracy was better than with the .357, so I think part of it just might be practice. I only shot 6 rounds with the .357 and I got about 30 today on the 9mm, which gave me more time to settle into how it felt to use a higher power gun.

Erik

One of the Regulars
Congratulations on your venture into the world of firearms. You've helped remind me that efforts aimed at exposing and educating non and novice shooters are well worth while.

Best,
Erik

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters