Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gustin Jeans Selvage Denim made in SF

winterland1

Practically Family
Is russning some type of denim pleasure I don't know about?
Hope you can't catch anything from doing it.
Well sounds like you do. ;)

winterland1

Practically Family
I am wanting to get some type of new shirt. I have to say I love a few of the Iron Hearts shirts. Way too much money for me though.
I like this one. IH_BLK_01_02.jpg
I do see they have a Japan Charcoal Oxford back up for sale on Gustin.
Anyone have one?
gustin oxford.jpg

I do see the signup/purchase bonus did go to $5. $5 is better than nothing. Sign up and buy a belt, wallet, shirt, jeans whatever and get $5 on account.
https://www.weargustin.com/invite_from/6029

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
I went to dinner tonight with my Heavy Americans on. Throughout the night I was apparently russning my hands on my jeans. There was a gal I had never met at our table who looked at me funny about 2hours into the event. Her face was priceless. She had seen my hands and it looked like I had low blood oxygen or something. My hands were blue! LOL
The waitress came up and said "I have that problem too" and I discovered she was a denim freak too. We all laughed pretty hard. But I was surprised as I have washed these three times now, the last time in hot extended. So, they will bleed some even after a few tumbles. Washing again tonight. I love clean, crispy jeans. :)

Theoretically this will continue until the jeans are white. Since the jeans gets lighter and lighter after wash, it means it looses color. It just becomes less apparent. I think its a good think that the color sticks like that.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
For years, I wore Levi 505 jeans but in recent years have switched to Bill's Khakis 5 pocket jeans that has fabulous construction and has been the gold standard for me for some time now. Sizing of Bill's jeans is a bit funky, and a size 36 Bill's has a waist measurement of about 38 inches, whereas my recent size 38 Gustin American measures a bit over 38 inches. I would have ordered a size 37 Gustin if that size had been available, and Gustin recommended that I not order a size 36.

Gustin also recommended not washing for at least several months so that the jeans can develop "character" with creasing, fading, etc. At this point, my Gustins fit more or less OK but not tight anywhere, so that stretching should be minimal. When I wash my Bills's jeans, I wash on COLD and then let air dry on a hanger for a couple of days. My question: What effect would a HOT wash and then placing in the dryer on HOT have on my Gustins? Has anyone done that? :eeek:

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
It will result in more color loss and some shrinking. You will have to work harder to get fades after this. The amount of shrinking depends alot on the fabric. Mine got some trimmer in the legs but not much, but the waist got alot snugger.

when I get mine, I think I'll soak them in Vinegar before the first wash- I like mine to stay dark as long as possible. I remember this used to work with black jeans.

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
40c and hanging warm to dry usually dont give me any shrinking that wont stretch back out in the waist and no shrinking in length that I can see.

60c Makes the jeans shrink and if the legs are on the edge of being too short, they will now be too short unless you stretch them hard before hanging to dry.

We have like a room where it is warm and it takes about a day for the jeans to dry. I never use the tumble dryer for clothes I care about, and havent used it for 20 years - its for towels, socks and older boxers for me. I cant really say what it will do to jeans but I suspect more color loss and even more shrinking.

Washed mine in cold/warm/hot/warm/warm.
Minimal shrinkage, but tight until you wear them a couple hours.
Hang dried on my AGA oven.
I'm experimenting with these. Don't care about "fades". Just like comfortable, well fitting jeans.
If I were 25 I might think otherwise. I'm not wearing unwashed jeans period. I have a few "pre faded" pairs that will do fine for that "look".

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I wouldn't mind it if the length was reduced since in inseam is a couple of inches too long (I don't like to roll up cuffs on the bottom) when I wear shoes. However a 36" inseam is about right when i wear western cowboy boots.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Scott, what temperatures do you use to wash and how do you dry? I would like to shrink everything a bit, mainly inseam

Last edited:

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
Different fabric will behave different. But I have washed new raw sanforized selvedge in 90 degrees and had minimal shrinkage. Remember theese are sanforized so I just dont think its worth it to try and shrink inseam. Just hem them 0.5" longer then you want - wear - wash in 40 when dirty.

Unsanforized on the other hand are crazy, my Levis STF went from way to long - to - too short after a warm soak! :eek:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Different fabric will behave different. But I have washed new raw sanforized selvedge in 90 degrees and had minimal shrinkage. Remember theese are sanforized so I just dont think its worth it to try and shrink inseam. Just hem them 0.5" longer then you want - wear - wash in 40 when dirty.

Unsanforized on the other hand are crazy, my Levis STF went from way to long - to - too short after a warm soak! :eek:

Thanks, Griff. I recall growing up way back when and inseams on my Levis would shrink several inches over time - rolled up when new but "stork legs" by the time knees wore through. I just noted for the first time the denim of my Gustins is Sanforized! :eek:

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
I put in for two - super heavy slubs and I was second to last person in on the natural indigo's that ended half an hour ago. The jeans I wear right now measure up as 33" and they're slightly loose on me. I ordered the size 31, at 31.5" thinking they will loosen up to 32"-32.5" in time and hopefully fit perfectly. Think I judged that properly?

KyleK

One of the Regulars
Kylek,

I've used a place in NYC called "DenimTherapy", they are online, you create a work ticket, detailing what you want, print it out and then mail your jeans to them. I got mine back in about 2 weeks for $25 plus shipping.

The only thing I would recommend is to give the jeans a soak first to get out the tiny bit of shrinkage, then measure the inseam

A few days late in response but, thanks, Boyo! That's good to know. I found a selvedge denim manufacturer here in Philly, Norman Porter Co., that offers chainstitching for $20. I'm going in this Saturday - hemmed while you wait!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails