Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Guys and the bathtub

LizzieMaine

Bartender
When I was born, my folks lived in a true "cold water flat" -- no bathtub, no running hot water -- so they had to bathe in one of those portable fold-out camping tubs from Sears, using water heated on the stove. Me, they bathed in the kitchen sink.

Not, from what I understand, a fun way to live. I've gotta have both a tub and a shower, and lots and lots and lots of hot water.

Serial Hero

A-List Customer
jamespowers said:
Yeah, I said the same thing and never heard a word after that either. The idiot's wife was using the garden hose to wash the kitchen floor! :eek: New flooring was definitely in the future. :eusa_doh: The whole renting experience has brought down my opinion of my fellow man's intelligence. I just had to sell it or I would think 90% of people were morons. lol

Regards,

J
You mean having to deal with people in your normal daily life hasn’t convinced you of that?lol

Really I don’t think the numbers that high. More like 80% to 85%.lol

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
jamespowers said:
Yeah, I said the same thing and never heard a word after that either. The idiot's wife was using the garden hose to wash the kitchen floor! :eek: New flooring was definitely in the future. :eusa_doh: The whole renting experience has brought down my opinion of my fellow man's intelligence. I just had to sell it or I would think 90% of people were morons. lol

Regards,

J
oh the stories we could tell!!:D It was about 2 years ago we were seriously thinking of selling ours as well...due to the 'animal lady'....I literally cried when I saw the mess.
back on topic...I think you'll be fine with just a bath tub, though if at all possible, add a shower...believe me, it is doable! You'll have to give us updates on the place! Be sure to take before and after pics..it's so much fun to look at later!

mysterygal said:
oh the stories we could tell!!:D It was about 2 years ago we were seriously thinking of selling ours as well...due to the 'animal lady'....I literally cried when I saw the mess.

Animals!? Oh no! Fish were the only pets I allowed and that was with considerable trepidation and an agreement that they fix the water mess were it to happen. :eek:
Why is it that many "personal zoos" that I have seen were in rental property?[huh]

Regards,

J

WEEGEE

Practically Family
As far as pets and baths

When i was a baby we had an alligator living in the bath tub...late sixties...Buffalo, New York. A gift from an uncle in Florida eventually it
moved to the basement then to the zoo (a matter of 6-months time).

As far as getting clean i do the shower 99.9% of the time while my wife
does the opposite (bath).

I am not a tall man though i never find bath tubs size of current time worth the dip...love swimming fresh water and salt...not the tubs of the time.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
jamespowers said:
Why is it that many "personal zoos" that I have seen were in rental property?[huh]

Probably because with having to buy food for the menagerie, they couldn't afford to buy. "I'm going to be a little late on my rent this month - but look at this cute little stick with a feather on a string I bought for Mr. Snuffles! It only cost me $39 at Petsmart and he was so bored with the one I bought three days ago!"

Or if they were the ones having to replace the reeking filthy carpets out of their own pockets, they'd lose the pets in pretty short order. And if you didn't know - videotape once and then go back and videotape a second time with a blacklight and if there's any question about "pet smells" that'll vividly show EVERY spot there's been an "accident" should you have to go into court.

I'm an animal lover, but I've also seen what tenants have done to friends' and clients' properties, and it's just staggering at times. And as you say, the laws are all written to benefit the tennants. Some jackass sued a friend for refund of his security deposit. It was withheld because the carpet was put in just before the tennant moved in. A year later he moves out and he couldn't understand why the landlord was saying the carpet was ruined and that the tennant should pay for it - doesn't everyone spill oil when doing an oil change on their motorcycle in the living room when it's cold outside in the garage? We're talking a 4-5' circlular stain of oil & black grime on sand-colored carpet...

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
like....duh!

You mean the living room carpet is not a place to change oil?lol
I know a lot of people who rent and take VERY good care of their place also though. The two sets of families we have now are awesome...they take good care of the place, pay their rent on time, and hardly ever hear from them. We actually give them a yearly bonus for being good tenants!

Blackgrass

One of the Regulars
I lived in a place with a claw foot tub at one time. I have always been a shower guy but the tub really didn't bother me. I used to wake up in the morning and start filling the tub with hot water while I made coffee and got a few things together. Relaxing in the tub first thing in the morning was always a nice way to start the day. I used to keep a big cup by the tub to use as a final rinse with fresh water before I got out. I sort of miss it actually and don't think I have had a bath since......but many showers! ;)

mysterygal said:
You mean the living room carpet is not a place to change oil?lol
I know a lot of people who rent and take VERY good care of their place also though. The two sets of families we have now are awesome...they take good care of the place, pay their rent on time, and hardly ever hear from them. We actually give them a yearly bonus for being good tenants!

If I had tenants like that I would give them a yearly bonus as well. :eek: Alas I never met with one that didn't make a mess out of something. [huh] I think the guy who changed the oil in the living room was my last tenant. :p

Regards,

J

Roger

A-List Customer
Your going into a business

The most important thing to remember is that you are going into a business. Yes, there are going to be jerks for renters, but then there are jerks who come into any business. Take pride in your rentals. Don't think you can just sit back and collect a rent check and expect good tenants. Good tenants are earned not given. I have a tri-plex in Providence RI and whenever someone moves out the place gets repainted. Those who complain about someone painting the place; big deal! Did he charge you? I know plenty of owners who are pigs and renters who take better place than people who own. For instance; these parents down the street bought a house for their son who got married. They didn't want him to have to struggle. Yeah, the brat never pulls the weeds, the roof sags and his cars leak oil down the street.
In this instance; it sounds like you ought to just fix the place up sell, get a nice profit and go into another rental. Try a duplex rather than a single family dwelling first.:D

Roger said:
Those who complain about someone painting the place; big deal! Did he charge you?

What if he painted it purple with pink polka dots? :eusa_doh: The tenant certainly doesn't do you any favors there. They should pay you for that kind of defacing. :rolleyes:
The colors they choose are ridiculous at times. That is why there should be a white only or as rented color scheme in the contract right off the bat.

Regards,

J

Serial Hero

A-List Customer
I just bought my first condo last year (just like renting, but you have to repair everything yourself). Before that I’ve been renting since ’97, and I’ve always left the place in better shape than when I moved in. Made sure it was clean, even repaired a couple small holes in the wall, mainly because I didn’t want to look at them. I’ve always gotten my deposit back without question. So just to show that there are good renters out there, but most of them are slobs.

Serial Hero said:
I just bought my first condo last year (just like renting, but you have to repair everything yourself). Before that I’ve been renting since ’97, and I’ve always left the place in better shape than when I moved in. Made sure it was clean, even repaired a couple small holes in the wall, mainly because I didn’t want to look at them. I’ve always gotten my deposit back without question. So just to show that there are good renters out there, but most of them are slobs.

Maybe I need rental property out in Arizona. ;)

Regards,

J

Serial Hero

A-List Customer
jamespowers said:
Maybe I need rental property out in Arizona. ;)

Regards,

J
I don't know if I would go that far. From my experience, for every good renter, there are 5 or 6 that change there oil in the living room (or something similar).

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Painting: the problem is some people get these crazy ideas of what they think looks good. To prevent me from having to spend a whole day priming and repainting a room...we ask that they would be so kind as to show us the color they were thinking of painting

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass