Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

H?ºckel Hats

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
I paid a visit to my "Hat Honey Hole" today and I found a black Hückel fedora in my size. I do not know much about this brand, but the hat is VERY pliable and soft. As we all know, it is hard to photograph a black hat, but I will try some in the daylight and post when I can. The dimensions are as follows brim 2 5/8ths crown 4 3/4 with a center bash and dents. Are there any other that have a Huckel in their collections?

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Bud-n-Texas said:
I paid a visit to my "Hat Honey Hole" today and I found a black H?ºckel fedora in my size. I do not know much about this brand, but the hat is VERY pliable and soft. As we all know, it is hard to photograph a black hat, but I will try some in the daylight and post when I can. The dimensions are as follows brim 2 5/8ths crown 4 3/4 with a center bash and dents. Are there any other that have a Huckel in their collections?

I know of at least 5 Loungers who have one, and this thread has pictures of one owned by Orgetorix on page 3 of the thread. Each of them has expressed appreciation of them. They're pretty well made for the price!

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=12878&page=3

dean

analogist

One of the Regulars
Huckel Hat

I own two of them. Both are very soft also and are velour finishes. They have brims of about 2 1/4 inches. I got them from my hatter here in Brooklyn where he found them in their catacombs.

If not mistaken I think they have blended fur felt by Tonak in the Czech Republic. They are very Euro looking, and I even have a Badger bristle "feather" on the blue one.

Perhaps Besdor could give us some more info on this brand which at the least are very interesting and comfortable.

analogist

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
Dean, somehow I missed that the hats at BCF are Huckle's. My "Honey Hole" is an antique / junk store here that has a vintage clothing section. I have picked up several of my vintage hats there including a Strat and a Borso. If the BCF hats are even close to the quality of the hat I picked up yesterday, they are bound to be nice hats.

deanglen

Hi Bud!
Perhaps the owners of those hats could post pictures and commentary on their hats' qualities. My guess is not all the fur felt BCF hats are Huckels, but Tonaks, and some are "Addams & Spire" I picked up two of the "Addams and Spire" and found them very nice, with a leatherlike sweatband and no liner, though. The felt was not as nice as the Huckels, but not as rough as some of the other hats, like the one I sent to RBH.

dean

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
Here are a few quick shots of the Huckel.

MVC-695F.jpg

MVC-694F.jpg

MVC-696F.jpg

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
I normally shy away from hats that are tapered, but this caught my eye. I was amazed at the felt in this hat, it is much nicer than several of my Stetsons. It may not be quite as thin a felt as my Borso, but feels every bit as nice. My wife feels that black is the best color on me. What keeps Nana happy, keeps Pop happy.

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
Now that is a great shot! Here's a picture title: "That's MISTER Bud to you, fella!"[/QUOTE]

lol lol I guess I do not look very friendly there. My eyes are very light sensitive and that is one reason that I wear a hat. I guess i could smile a bit more and that would help. :D

BigDawgBarkin

New in Town
deanglen picked up a couple of hats at BCF for me, one is a Huckel and one is the Adams and Spire he mentioned. Just like he said, the Adams and Spire is nice but not quite as nice as the Huckel. The felt is a little stiffer and not quite as smooth and no liner. The sweatband is also a little nicer on the Huckel. Both of them are great buys. Hopefully I'll get some pictures and be able to post them soon.

Thanks again deanglen!

BDB

deanglen

Bud-n-Texas said:
Now that is a great shot! Here's a picture title: "That's MISTER Bud to you, fella!"

lol lol I guess I do not look very friendly there. My eyes are very light sensitive and that is one reason that I wear a hat. I guess i could smile a bit more and that would help. :D [/QUOTE]

Don't say that! ;) You look fine. Look at DOUGLAS in his shots. He doesn't worry about smiles and he is wonderful Lounger to know, just like you, Bud.

dean

deanglen

BigDawgBarkin said:
deanglen picked up a couple of hats at BCF for me, one is a Huckel and one is the Adams and Spire he mentioned. Just like he said, the Adams and Spire is nice but not quite as nice as the Huckel. The felt is a little stiffer and not quite as smooth and no liner. The sweatband is also a little nicer on the Huckel. Both of them are great buys. Hopefully I'll get some pictures and be able to post them soon.

Thanks again deanglen!

BDB

You're welcome! Can'r wait to see the pictures! Good to hear from you, BigDawgBarkin'. How have you been? You need to post more so I can PM you!

dean

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Huckel hats are decent for the price . We sell their velor and suede finishes . They actualy make hats for other companies but thats a trade secret that I cant talk too much about . The hats that analogist bought from us were vintage fron the 1950's . You could never copy that quality .

Steven
Bencraft Hats:eek:

ideaguy

One Too Many
Bud! The hat looks great- you've taken probably the best photo of a black hat
I've seen lately-exposure/background/sky all just right.
And don't smile. Douglas doesn't. I posted an avatar kinda smiling and my wife
fell down laughing- "boy-it's a good thing those folks don't know you. Get that grin off that mug and change that picture!!" next avatar was the gorilla.
I don't smile. 'cept at little kids & dogs, unless they're wailing or barking.

Don't smile. (when you do, people are so shocked you can get away with
anything)

peace, ya old grump bucket.

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
Steven I purchased the hat second hand, so have no idea as to the age. The liner was stained, faded and was crumpled so I have removed it, I will be replacing the sweat. Even with the repairs, I am quite happy with the hat. I can see myself taking the taper out while replacing the liner and sweat.

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
ideaguy said:
Bud! The hat looks great- you've taken probably the best photo of a black hat
I've seen lately-exposure/background/sky all just right.
And don't smile. Douglas doesn't. I posted an avatar kinda smiling and my wife
fell down laughing- "boy-it's a good thing those folks don't know you. Get that grin off that mug and change that picture!!" next avatar was the gorilla.
I don't smile. 'cept at little kids & dogs, unless they're wailing or barking.

Don't smile. (when you do, people are so shocked you can get away with
anything)

peace, ya old grump bucket.

LMAO from one GOF (Grumpy Old Fa__) to another :D

DocBob345

Familiar Face
Huckel hats...

Following dean's lead, I just this afternoon at lunchtime purchased a black Huckel fur felt at BCF. Their selection was actually quite nice outside Chicago here, but the sizes were hit or miss. I had to buy a 7 1/2 rather than my 7 3/8 but it still fits pretty well.

Never understimate the pleasure a new hat brings, whether custom, vintage or "off the rack". I really like this new lid. Thanks dean and bud, for showing your own acquisitions so that at least a few of us may follow.

Best,
Robert

Brinybay

Practically Family
Is there on online source that has a good selection of lower-end Huckel hats? My local BCF has a piss-poor selection of hats, let alone Huckels. I've tried googling it but I only get very limited results.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails