Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

H A T D O O D L E S !!!!!!!!!

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
HarpPlayerGene said:
I hope others keep contributing to this thread. I like seeing all types of artwork.

Thank you for the compliments. I have enjoyed doing a series of these style of portraits of my favorite Blues artists. I do use photographs for reference. The watercolor of SRV is out of the style of the rest but was fun to do. The B&W ones are black ink and laundry bleach on grey paper. I can't remember exactly how I arrived at that technique; I think alcohol was involved. :p

Totally amazing Gene, that is top notch art work! I've never heard of anyone using bleach on gray paper, that's really creative. But, your technique is out of this world. I love how you replicated the hot spot (photo flash?) on the guitar and behind the hand. Too cool.

cptjeff

Practically Family
Chuck Bobuck said:
Totally amazing Gene, that is top notch art work! I've never heard of anyone using bleach on gray paper, that's really creative. But, your technique is out of this world. I love how you replicated the hot spot (photo flash?) on the guitar and behind the hand. Too cool.
That would be why he's the professional and we're just toying around with it.

It's indeed amazing work.

I have a few hat doodles I remember doing in the margin of a notebook during class. I don't feel like trying to find them, especially as they weren't really that interesting. Doodles in the truest sense of the word.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
ThesFlishThngs said:
And maybe a crown is pushing it a bit....

2546447615_d05e9dabef_o.jpg

I LOVE it!!

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
buler said:
Hey Gene, have you by chance done the famous Robert Johnson photo?....

Naw, although that is a cool image. Too cool as is if you know what I mean. The hang up I've got about doing more of these is that most times the photos are well known and absolutely perfect 'art' already so my adaptation seems gratuitous. It's off-topic (hatless) but my favorite one of these I did was of Clapton (below), because I shot my own photo reference while he was checking gear before a show at the Omni in Atlanta c. 1992.

Eric.jpg

buler

I'll Lock Up
HarpPlayerGene said:
Naw, although that is a cool image. Too cool as is if you know what I mean. The hang up I've got about doing more of these is that most times the photos are well known and absolutely perfect 'art' already so my adaptation seems gratuitous. It's off-topic (hatless) but my favorite one of these I did was of Clapton (below), because I shot my own photo reference while he was checking gear before a show at the Omni in Atlanta c. 1992.

Eric.jpg

Another masterpiece Gene! How about Hubert Sumlin?

My old guitar instructor is very good friends with Hubert and I've been dying to try a "hat swap" with Hubert. I'll have to bring that up with Jeff.

B

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Chuck Bobuck said:
I used to love to draw, but it's been years since I have. My dad used to draw, but his brother Clarence was considered the artist of the family. I found this drawing, by Clarence, in a photo album. I believe he passed away around 1939 at the young age of 21. It's not a doodle, or my own art work, but it seems like a good place for a vintage drawing of a man in a coat and hat.

Clarence_art_man_fedora_crop-4.jpg

Great post sir; I enjoyed it as your avatar as well.

buler

I'll Lock Up
djgo-cat-go said:
Great doodles!! Gene, your a master at work :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

selfportrait.jpg

selfportrait

Woah, great job Cat!! :eusa_clap

We have some real talent here.

B

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Saints Alive!

Awesome posts, and oceans of talent. (Gene: Sheesh, something of yours should be hanging in the White House gallery.)

I can't draw a bath, but my nephew painted my avatar when he was a high school kid. He hates it and criticizes all its flaws, but i treasure it.

Super idea for a thread. Clap Clap Clap, Head Bow, Head Bow

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran