Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hair cuts

REDKNIGHT1775

New in Town
If you want the classic look ask for a low taper fade with a trim on top, I prefer the high fade. Let him know you want it long enough to comb it on top. Also let the barber know how long you want your side burns... It's a nice look and you'll feel more comfortable.

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
Vladimir Berkov said:
Shave it. Go for the Yul Brynner

yul.jpg

Works for me!

FredDairy

Familiar Face
El Colorado,

I'm going to have to disagree with you. Royal Crown Hairdressing is the EASIEST of all the "pomades" to wash out. Althought techinically it's not a pomade, I consider it one. The key to washing that out is putting the shampoo in your hair before it is wet. It'll wash right out! But, if your comparing it to water soluble pomaded then I guess it's kinda tough to wash out.

I've tried a crap load of pomades lately as to I'm trying to grow my hair out one last time before it all falls out. :eusa_doh:

murray.jpg

Murrays Superior doesn't wash out very easy, but it can be washed out with dishwashing detergent. This one gets hard in your hair and is really hard to comb, I like being able to recomb my hair throughout the day, so I don't use this one often.

103400.gif

I used to use Murray's Superlight all the time, I just haven't lately because I wanted to try something different. This one washes out easier than Murray's Superior, but not as easily as Royal Crown Hair Dressing. It's also got a great coconut smell.

dax_pomade.JPG

I used to use Dax about 3 years ago, it's got a crap load of ingriedents in it and it's green. But, washes out easier than Murray's Superior, doesn't have to great of a hold.

dixiepeach.gif

Dixie Peach supposedly is what Elvis used at one point in his career, this has a similar hold to Murray's Super Light, and washes out with about the same effort.

nunile.jpg

I just got a tin of Nu-Nile. This stuff is pretty thick, its almost as hard as Murray's Superior but it's not as thick, and I dunno how well this is going to wash out. But I like it a lot so far.

royal.crown.dressing.jpg

Royal Crown Hairdressing is my favorite, it's got the most shine, washes out fairly easy, and has a decent hold. I'm mixing it up with the Nu-Nile, and the two seem to go together really well.

Your milage may vary with all these pomades...

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Nu-Nile is NOT going to wash out. None of the wax based pomades will without alot of work. I've been combing baby oil through my hair now, then washing it with a clarifying shampoo. I just shaved my head, but prior, I'd been doing that routine once a week.

Wild Root

Gone Home
I'm a Royal Crown man. Palmade gives a great shine and holds well and doesn't make your hair hard or stiff but... it's a pain to wash out and it's hard on your hair and scalp. It's not healthy but, oh well.lol

=WR=

FredDairy

Familiar Face
flat-top said:
Nu-Nile is NOT going to wash out. None of the wax based pomades will without alot of work. I've been combing baby oil through my hair now, then washing it with a clarifying shampoo. I just shaved my head, but prior, I'd been doing that routine once a week.

Chicken! lol

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
FredDairy said:
Chicken! lol
Nah dude. I've had a big mop of greasy hair forever. But last year for the first time I buzzed it all off (like the kid in my avatar) and loved it. So now I do it every so often..and I always grow it back!

FredDairy

Familiar Face
flat-top said:
Nah dude. I've had a big mop of greasy hair forever. But last year for the first time I buzzed it all off (like the kid in my avatar) and loved it. So now I do it every so often..and I always grow it back!

Wasn't butch wax used in flat tops back in the 50s?

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Royal Crown is no longer available around here - unless someone knows somethign I don't. That is sad.

I use Murray's Superior. The secret is heat. Heat the can up in hot water or with your hair dryer and apply it before the shower steam disipates. I comb my hair frequently through the day and have no problem with it being overly gluey or solid.

Yeah, it doesn't wash right out at the end of the day, but that means you only have to apply it twice a week! Now that's economical.

I use Wildroot, Olive On, Lucky Tiger Three Purpose With Oil or sweet nothing at all on the days I don't add Murrays - depending on the humidity. I like shine (and hold) - I don't like when my hair product melts and my hair falls into tendrils like an aloe plant... or like this dude:

main_pirates2.jpg

FredDairy

Familiar Face
I just washed my hair about an hour ago and it looks like I got most of the Nu-Nile out. By putting twice the amont of shampoo as normally needed and rubbing it into the hair prior to getting the hair wet. Then just getting your hands wet and working the shampoo into a strong lather. Like I said most of it is out...enough not to ruin my pillows.

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
I don't know if I chimed in yet, but I want to put in a vote for NuNile and Royal Crown.
I use Royal Crown daily. It holds well enough but gives me that young aviator/scroundrel look when my bangs fall down. I don't know about the rest of you, but Royal Crown washes out fine for me the next morning. If I put it on after a morning shower and then sleep in it that night, it has worn down enough to wash out with Head and Shoulders the next morning.
NuNile is a bit stiffer and gives great hold, but I like it when the most when it relaxes.
I have two tins of Murray's at home- I never ever use them except for theatre, in which case, it's usually another actor that has to suffer the residual effects of Murray's Superior. It doesn't come out for like two days. A good mix is Murray's for hold, and then add a little bit of Brylcreem to break up the chunks (of hair stuck together) and give the hair a little more shine.

Powerhouse

One of the Regulars
That pic sort of reminds me a barber shop I used to go to when I lived in midtown. They would use hot lather and a straight razor to do the fine trimming. Occasionally I would get a shave and a haircut - 2 bits. I couldn't resist the 2 bits, hahaha. It only cost about 20 clams.

I use Royal Crown and Vitalis, Shave with a Rolls, straight razor or sometimes a 1939 Sunbeam, aftershave with either aqua velva or pinaud.

I found a can of 1930's royal crown in an antique market. My friend bought it, but I used it before I showed him the can. It was still good!

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Ew.

Wax. Chunks. Grease.

Mine is long on top, below my chin in front if I let it hang down. And short on the sides and back. For me, the key to getting a period looking haircut was to shave my hairline up much higher in the back. I shave the back of my neck now every other shave, using two mirrors.

But I like my hair to be soft and natural. I try to just use enough stuff to make it semi-behave.

I'm curious about the stuff you guys use, but the three words above kinda creep me out...

Wild Root

Gone Home
I recall years back I was at my then girl friend's house and I was leaning against the wall, I left a grease spot on the wall in her room.... thought she was going to kill me! lol lol lol She had also just painted in there! Ooooooooooops! lol She'll have a hard time forgetting me, I guess you could say I left a lasting impression! lol lol lol

=WR=

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points