Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hair cuts

Wild Root

Gone Home
Hahaha, for a second there, I thought you were talking to your self or that Lauren was signed on as you by mistake.;)

It's hard when there are more then one member with the same first name!

=WR=

Daniel Riser

A-List Customer
That's what you think... isn't that right Daniel? It certainly is Daniel

*taken away by white clad men with plastered hairstyles and no personality

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Daniel Riser said:
Daniel you're not going to believe it. I was determined to take the pics. I pulled out the camera, took them then realized the cable I bought was 4 pin and my camera is 5 pin!!! I couldn't believe so I have about thirty pictures (including that Wal Mart shirt material I've promised to you for ages) on my camera. They have been taken and the new cable is gonna get picked up in the morning.

SO SORRY! [huh] :eek:

Yeah, yeah. Every Joe has a sad story to tell.;) :rolleyes:
I guess I'm going to have to change my screen name.:rolleyes:
How about you go by Daniel and I'll take the moniker of Dan.:)

Cheers!

Dan

Ken

A-List Customer
Daniel Riser said:
Daniel you're not going to believe it. I was determined to take the pics. I pulled out the camera, took them then realized the cable I bought was 4 pin and my camera is 5 pin!!! I couldn't believe so I have about thirty pictures (including that Wal Mart shirt material I've promised to you for ages) on my camera. They have been taken and the new cable is gonna get picked up in the morning.

SO SORRY! [huh] :eek:

Alternativly the haircut is sooo bad, he dioesnt want anyone to see it ;)

Ken

JD Boswell

New in Town
For those who want to maintain a flatop the best stuff I found to hold a good top is a mixture of 1/2 beeswax and 1/2 beef tallow. Keeps a great hold and washes out with shampoo. All natural with no petroleum crap to ruin your hair.

Real simple to make:

Beef tallow= rendered beef fat.

Yeah I know its beef fat but so is the major ingredient in soap.

Homemade Butch Wax Receipe:

1. Go to the butcher and ask him for some beef fat. He'll give it to ya for free most likely.
2. Cut out any stray pieces of meat.
3. Cut it into cubes, place in a double boiler (I use an old coffee can placed in a pot of water) (Don't use direct heat as this stuf is flammable at high temps)
4. Heat under a high heat until the water starts to boil then reduce the heat until it lightly boils. Render (melt) the fat and scoop out the hard chunks.
5. When it is all melted pour off the clear liquid into another coffee can or glass canning jar. Discard remaining chunks/gristle and cloudy liquid.
6. Take the can of tallow and place it in the double boiler.
7. Measure the depth of the tallow in the can with a scrap piece of wood.
8. Add beeswax (Not parafin!!) to the tallow and reheat. Add enough beeswax until the level is twice the original tallow level.
9. Once the mixture is all liquid pour into a small tin with a lid or 35mm film canister.
10. Let cool overnight.
11. Store left over mixture in a can with a lid so you can make some later.
12. Apply to hair and rub in. Comb hair up and it stays all day!!

(Note: the butchwax is generally uncented but you can add a fragrance to the mix if you want to.)

Salv

One Too Many
Blackgrass said:
As far as slicked up styles here is what works for me. I have it short on the sides, faded/taper cut in the back and long on top (It reaches the end of my nose when I pull it down in the front). After washing and towel drying my hair I put in about a tablespoon of Brylcream and work it through my hair....after the Brylcream I add in about half as much Groom and Clean. I comb my hair and it stays in place all day. The Groom and Clean is a great product and washes out easily. I have used all sort of pomades and waxes and the Brylcream and G&C combination works really well...for me atleast. I slick my hair back everyday and have been wearing it this way for about a year with a slight pomp in the front.

Sounds just like my haircut, but I have it clippered on the sides and back with bare blades leaving just stubble fading into the longer hair on top, and I use a slightly different mix of pomades. I have it cut every two weeks to keep it looking neat. After washing I dry my hair with a hairdryer then work some Black & White in, which gives a very good hold. This is a little too stiff though, so I damp it down with a little dab of Sweet Georgia Brown Red. This softens it just enough to let me brush and comb the hair into the right shape, plus it adds a nice gloss and a scent that the girls go wild for (according to the barber that introduced me to it...:rolleyes: ). This holds all day, then I top it up the next day with more Sweet Georgia Brown.

CoffeeDude

One of the Regulars
After reading an article in the Seattle PI I've decided to change my barber. Here's the scoop: Capelli's Gentlemen's Barbershop "The dark wood, overstuffed leather chairs and large plasma TV reek masculinity. In the waiting area, the magazines are male-oriented: Forbes, Maxim, Cigar Aficionado and Cargo" and the capper for me "most popular service is the $35 signature haircut, which includes a scalp massage, haircut, styling and a hot-towel neck shave with a straight-edge razor". Sign me up. :cool:

Genetics is the limitation for me, I have always had baby fine hair.

Baby fine, which is not conducive to any styling that will "Hold" inspite of any assistance of better living thru chemistry.

So now it's a number three on the top and a number two on the sides and back.

Those electric clipper sets you see usually at Sears are mostly Wahl brand, which is (was) the same company that made Wahl and Wahl-Eversharp Pens!

BTW I just got an Eversharp Symphony Fountain pen in great shape for $16 including shipping from ebay, it doesn't even need a new ink bladder! It's late 40's early 50's, I think.

Phog Allen

Familiar Face
Morning gents. I'm sure this has been mentioned by others but don't overlook the Pashana line. Their hair tonics are INCREDIBLE. Especially for blonde haired guys like me. You have to be most careful with blonde hair. Anything heavy with oil or wax can make your hair look filthy. For those wanting more hold, the Pashana's are almost all available with oil as well. The Blue Orchid fragrance is my favourite in the line. I have the lotion and the brilliantine (w/oil). The other two fave scents are Eau de Quinine and Eau de Portugal. I use the Pinaud brand in those scents. They do not contain oil. Also check out George F. Trumper for hair dressings. Most have oil so are fairly heavy. The Eucris scent is intoxicating. I have the cologne but not the dressing because it's described as " a medium hair dressing with oil". I've been to scared to fork over the dough for the bottle only to discover that it may be too heavy. http://www.trumpers.com/ Try www.qedusa.com for Pashana products in the U.S. Try this vendor in UK. They ship here too. http://www.gentlemans-shop.co.uk/

Todd

Rigby Reardon

One of the Regulars
Where are Dan's pics?

Sorry to bump a month old thread, but it seemed best tacked on the end of this one rather than start another.

I pushed the girl who cuts my hair into doing something she didn't want to do again...but she's glad I did - my haircut came out pretty good. I like it anyway, and I've gotten a few compliments - but I was wondering if I went far enough for it to pass for a 30s cut/style. Here's the pics...please don't laugh TOO hard. :rolleyes:

Sorry for the crazy faces...it's late. :p

The neat part is some of the compliments I got recently were from rather elderly men I ran into out and about. I figure if an 80-year-old guy says, "I was just noticing your hair - I like your style!", that's probably a good sign that I'm on the right track. :cool:

That's trimmed w/ a #2 up the sides, high and tight, only slightly wider at the top. NOTHING off the top, just blended.

On the pomade/slick discussion...I tried something from Redken call Wet Wax, which says 'pomade' on it, and I wasn't too happy w/ the results. Flat and limp, no real hold. Probably accurate and would work if I were just coming back flat, but that's not me...and I want it to STAY PUT. So I'm using a modern product...it's blue, and goes in like GLUE. And the name only embarrasses me slightly...'ShortSexyHair'. Arf. Can't believe I typed that. Get's worse, the specific one I'm using is called...double-arf...'Hard Up Gel'. :p Guess it's apropo... :rolleyes:
http://www.joybeauty.com/products/shortsexyhair/10226.asp

But trust me, this stuff HOLDS like CEMENT. You could bounce a tennis ball off my pompador if I don't push it through... :rolleyes:

Commence mocking, ;)
J

Wild Root

Gone Home
Looks more late 40's to me.

Here is what the 30's thought was a proper cut.

dick-powell-sized.jpg

Cooper_Gary_3.jpg

eehorton3.JPG

It has a lot to do with how you comb it.
=WR=

PS. Looks good nevertheless!;)

Rigby Reardon

One of the Regulars
hahah...thanks for being kind, folks! Wolf - Dillinger? hahaha...that made me laugh, thanks. ;)

Root, in retrospect (pun unavoidable), yep, this is definitely more of a 40's look I've got now. I just found Wingnut's pics of his cut over in another thread, that's what this reminds me of. Looks good in a flight uniform!

Holly, IOU a lemon drop. ;)

FredDairy

Familiar Face
I just got a great haircut here in Chicago at the Belmont Barber Shop. The problem is a lot of the old guys are dying or retired. The guy at the Belmont Barber shop seems to be younger and very into the aspect of bringing back the old barber shop feel.

I've tried all brands of pomade Murray's being the hardest to wash out. I've always liked v05 hairdress but that stuff never holds, so now I'm onto Royal Crown Hairdress, holds better than V05 but not as easy to wash out, but easier to get out than most pomades.

291352325_l.jpg

293208079_l.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner