Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hair cuts

shamus

Suspended
Daniel Riser said:
I think the first post had it. If not. Here is the link:

http://www.dererstezug.com/GermanHaircut.htm

Don't be afraid of the Nazi reference. As our own Matt Deckard pointed out:

"This style has been around before the Nazis and it has been around after the Nazis"

I always thought of this cut as the Hitler Youth cut. Although this cut will remain, the Nazis did ruin a facial hair style forever...

Daniel Riser

A-List Customer
One very interesting thing about the Hitler mustache is that it was not his original look! Hitler originally had handlebars and then twirled ends but it was when he saw Charlie Chaplain's film "The Gold Rush" that he switched to the shorter, smaller mustache he has so defamed.

Another interesting bit about Hitler is that he idolized Charlie Chaplain and was deeply saddened when "The Great Dictator" came out because of Charlie's obvious dislike for the furhur.

Hitler was also a fan of Henry Ford, and Henry Ford a fan of him. Both men kept framed photographs of each other on their desks. Hitler admired Ford for the invention of the "assembly line" and Ford admired Hitler for his ability to maniuplate an entire nation to do his bidding.*

*It is obvious that Daniel Riser, as a child, was only allowed to watch the History Channel

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
of bald heads

I found it odd that Astaire was bald early and kept wearing a toupee when he was an old man when it would be acceptable to be bald. At least he had a white toupee.
I like that Bogie would wear a toupee for a movie and go to premiere with his natural head showing. Sean Connery does the same thing.
Another great bald pate from the golden age is James Gleason:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0322299/

Dave O'Brien, who played Captain Midnight in a serial and was in Reefer Madness, wore a toupee. I believe he loses it for comedic effect in a Pete Smith Specialty.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

Daniel Riser

A-List Customer
Marc,

Yes Chaplain was Jewish but I believe it was unknown to Hitler at the time.

Another irony of Chaplain's portrayal is that Chaplain himself was the most totalitarian director in cinema history.

The man brought two actresses to a nervous breakdown over the simple handling of a rose. He insisted on over 1,000 takes and recasted the role three times. He changed the set, the costumes, the rose! Nothing satisfied him until I believe something like take 1,010. He proclaimed to the exhausted cast and crew that it was "perfect." In the final cut he ended up using the fourth take of the first actress.

green papaya

One Too Many
clippers_asian_edit.gif

I like my hair full on top and really clean around the ears and neck

this guys hair cut looks like a good example of the style I like

Ken

A-List Customer
So this may be a silly question but what is the absolute strongest product available out there for slicking back hair? I have tried loads of modern stuff - gel, clay, putty, gum... and how long does your hair need to be? Is there anything you can do to fight genetics if thats part of the problem?

Ken

Daniel Riser

A-List Customer
With enough palmade you could slick back an afro!

ah... I see Marc got his own handle, well hopefully lovely Veronica won't become a stranger to FL now. I salute both entities!

Daniel Riser

A-List Customer
That's a pain...

...and ridding your hands of the stuff so you can finish dressing without getting layers of it all over your trousers.

Marc did you guys get my PM?

Wild Root

Gone Home
The Nazi style:

In the early to mid 30?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s as the Nazi party started to gain power, the hair styles among other styles that the Nazi population liked were very strong, crisp, clean and sharp styles. The Nazi culture was all about new and modern ideas. They took Art Deco and made it their own. Hair was also cut to emulate this style! Exactness was their M.O. and they wanted to have the sharpest look. I for one love the Nazi cut because it is so clean and well styled. I don?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t like the Nazi life style or beliefs, but they sure new how to dress and groom! This style of cutting hair was every where in the US and a crossed Europe in the late 20?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s and early 30?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s. This cut was a standard hair style for men as well. Don?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t be afraid to try it out! I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢ll tell ya, people will not connect it to the Nazi party or that part of German history if you wear this style. Only if you wear a WWII German uniform will you get called a Nazi!

The Germans had style in those days! To bad they had such an evil agenda. Also, Charlie Chaplin was a communist! He wasn?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t an orthodox Jew or a very faithful one to my knowledge. He was born into the Jewish faith but, a non practicing Jew. I could be wrong as I some times am but, that?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s what I understand about it.

Hair styles of the 30?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s and 40?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s were all very clean cut! No long hippy hair existed in any towns. Men were men, women were women! Got to love that! WWII was a war that had good hair! Men weren?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t required to chop off all their hair! Look at old photos of your parents and grand parents and see how well groomed they looked in a uniform!

=WR=

Daniel Riser

A-List Customer
Yep Chaplain was definitely unorthodox. I'm not sure how communist he was. It seems convenient that Hollywood always stepped into to point at his communism since Hollywood DID NOT like Chaplain. It wasn't until 1977 that the hatchet was finally burried by giving him a lifetime achievement award during that year's Oscar ceremony.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home

Funny thing ... my father, who was a kid in WWII, can't stand the way SS uniforms look. Mind you, he's a pretty tough guy. But to him, anything that looks "Nazi-like" is just evil. Years ago, whenever I saw an image of an SS officer and said, "He looks cool", my father would reply, "That's a sick thing to feel. That uniform represents death."

Truth be told, I admire the strength of his conviction on this matter -- and I'm ashamed to have had less of it than he does.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
cpaige770 said:
That haircut is the one my grandfather used to get in the 1930s, he called it a "two line". I have my hair cut the same way all the time it looks better when you are dressed up vintage.
If you go to a barber today and said " Two Line" I am sure he would have no idea what you are talking about. When I get it cut I try to explain it as a low blend. But the best thing to do is take a pic. of what you want.
It took me about three cuts without having the top even trimmed before it started to look right.
The only problem I have with it is it falls in my face all the time like Young River pheonix's did in Last Crusade. So I use spiking glue to hold it down. My Grandfather had it cut every two weeks, I try to but it usually goes about three before I make it back...Remmi

That is the look I shoot for... short on sides and long on top... very young Indy and a bit Jeff Bridges as Preston Tucker.

p8_1_bg.jpg

Ken

A-List Customer
So what is the palmade/pomade stuff you people speak off and where does one obtain such stuff? And its really that strong it could slick by an affro?!

Ken

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Most supermarkets and pharmacies will carry it. Look in the area (usually next to the shampoos and conditioners) that sells hair gel and Brylcreem. The stuff comes in jars and the labels usually have pictures of African-American hairstyles. I believe the generic name for such products is "pomade" or "hair relaxer".

And yes, it is that strong. Imagine a cross between Vaseline and beeswax!

Ken said:
So what is the palmade/pomade stuff you people speak off and where does one obtain such stuff? And its really that strong it could slick by an affro?!
Ken

This stuff would likely be something like Murray's products: http://www.murrayspomade.com/beeswax.html
http://www.murrayspomade.com/products.html
Those things are strong and you have to wash your hair with dishwashing soap or car degreaser to get it out. :eek: :p Getting it in your hair is a problem too. In the tin you can heat it up but in the other plastic stuff you have to use a hair dryer or something. Make sure you want that hair style for a week or two as well. ;)
I prefer to steer a more moderate course and use this:
http://www.americancrew.com/home.htm
I have noticed that they reformulated the pomade though. It is has more hold than it used to. The one I started using was clear. It is now sort of waxy in color. It holds fine. In fact, this morning I forgot to comb my hair down after massaging it in. My wife didn't see because I threw my hat on and left. I noticed after about an hour at work. It looked kind of spiky and all over the place. I wonder if they thought I was going for a "younger look." :p
Well it came back to normal as fast as I could find a comb. :p
I am sure other will recommend the many other brands out there as well.

Regards to all,

J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW