Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hair cuts

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
I wish I could post a pic, unfortunately I only own one antiquated digital camera which saves the pics on a floppy disc and my current computer doesn't have a floppy drive!

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Actually, I go down to chinatown for my haircuts. They do a similar very tight fade w/o even asking. I love it. Theyre very nice & vaguely amused when I walk in.
Then I hide from my mom for a week cuz she always complains that ITS TOO SHORT!
;)

Hmmmm.... Looks more 30s than 40s to me. From my family photo album, most men have it short on the sides and long on top---not bald on the sides. There was clearly a certain amount of loathing for Hitler in this country and men certainly didn't want to have a "Hitler cut" when they were fighting his forces. The GIs, or course had it short all over.
Young kids and men too old or infirm to fight had hair that was short ont he sides. My father mentioned that it was not supposed to cover the ear in anyway or you were going "Hollywood" or had a "Hollywood haircut." Your parents would probably want to kill you and the schools were next in line. :p
I will see if I can dig out a few photos from my father's yearbook. There are some guys in there that had a BIG Pompador with all the slicking and such that was more popular later in the 1950s but there were ducktails and the like before the 50s.
By the way, my father graduated from high school in 1948.

Regards to all,

J

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
I'm letting my hair grow out after about ten years of shaving it. But I'm actually going for a more Victorian Style. I'm letting my sideburns grow out too, I've not decided it I'm going to go with Mutton Chops. Kinda like this guy.

With this guys moustache.

MissQueenie

Practically Family
Hi Vlad -- quick question for you and the other fellas. How long does your hair usually have to be before you can get a really nice 30s or 40s cut?

~ Queenie

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
I am not sure how long it actually has to be, but my hair is normally wavy/curly so I need it quite long in order to slick it back or to the side. Right now it is probably about 4-5 inches long on top.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Vlad, you know what I would do if I were you, go to an antique shop, find a vintage year book from a year you like, take a look through it and find a hair style that you like on a kid in there that has hair like yours. You should style it accordingly to your hair type. If you have wavy hair, don't slick it! Put some Royal Crown or something in it yes, but let it do what it wants to do with reason. It should be long on the top about maybe 3"-4" long but, you'll find that most guys in those days cleaned up the sides and used what is known today as a number 2. Men in those days had sharp clean cut hair styles. Nice short sides with some what long hair on top is the way it was done. Comb it back but, don't try and get the wave out! Let it stay! it'll look really old fashioned if you do!

Best of luck!

=WR=

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
I actually have a 1938 University of Texas yearbook, the very school I am attending now. It has some great pics and has given me some cool style ideas.

The problem I have with my hair is that I basically look like Kramer if I don't do something to it. I am serious, it will stand up like 3 inches on top of my head. I guess I got sick of dealing with it and started using Murray's. Slicking it back doesn't work perfectly well, so I usually slick it back and to the side, at about a 45 degree angle which seems to work better.

Dismuke

One of the Regulars
Vladimir Berkov said:
The problem I have with my hair is that I basically look like Kramer if I don't do something to it. I am serious, it will stand up like 3 inches on top of my head.

You could, of course, let it grow long and then go out and get an afro like they did back in the 1970s! :p

Wild Root

Gone Home
YOU HAVE CRAMER HAIR? Dude, that is so cool! I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢m serious!

There were men in the 30?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s and 40?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s who had to deal with that same type of hair. They let it do their own thing some what.

Let it stay wavy! I think it looks super Art Deco!

20.jpg

Rigby Reardon

One of the Regulars
Hmm...wish I'd heard this a few weeks back...I'd gone from completely shearing my head last spring :eek: to letting it grow completely out this fall, but finally gave up before it could all get to one length...just wasn't working w/ the hairline. But oh the wave! I woke up every morning with a total Einstein (old wacky cool Einstein, that is).

I would have left more of the top for a few weeks if I'd realized it would work for the QM...rats. ;)

Thanks for the information, fellas...guess I'll start letting the top out again. Shearing w/ a 2 on the sides is no problem - doesn't look bald, but your barber/stylist better know how to blend that into the top. Or is it just a clear delineation, shaved to a point and then immediately 5 inches long? Sounds a bit too Crispin Glover for me.:rolleyes:
MissQueenie said:
Here's a great ref. page for vintage hair enthusiasts.

http://www.slickville.com/

~ Q.
Okay, that site only scared me a *little*. ;) Reminds me of Connery's hair in Dr. No...best scene, he pops up out of the water, and with three quick sweeps of his hand, he restored his hair style - a sweep on each side, and the pompadour. Continuous take, on screen. Amazing. :cool:

Wild Root

Gone Home
I used to blend it but now, I step it! I just get a 2 on the side and then just leave it some what long on the top. I have seen this style so many times in old movies from the 30's. I think it's really cool and it is a true period cut.

You guys all know me, the more 100% I get, the happier I be!

=WR=

cpaige770

New in Town
That haircut is the one my grandfather used to get in the 1930s, he called it a "two line". I have my hair cut the same way all the time it looks better when you are dressed up vintage.
If you go to a barber today and said " Two Line" I am sure he would have no idea what you are talking about. When I get it cut I try to explain it as a low blend. But the best thing to do is take a pic. of what you want.
It took me about three cuts without having the top even trimmed before it started to look right.
The only problem I have with it is it falls in my face all the time like Young River pheonix's did in Last Crusade. So I use spiking glue to hold it down. My Grandfather had it cut every two weeks, I try to but it usually goes about three before I make it back...Remmi

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
Check out these handsome gents' cuts...

Let's not forget...

I thought I remembered Shemp with one of those real High and tight fades with really long hair on the top, but I couldn't find a pic.

Why I oughta'....

MissQueenie

Practically Family
Quigley Brown said:
That is one weird site...guys showing off their greasy hair with their faces blurred out. ewwwww.

Gah! Not at all what I remember it to be! I think I was remembering the brylkeen collection and that's about it. Sorry! This is me sneaking back off to the powder room now...Really hope no one was scarred for life!

~ Queenie

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot