Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hair cuts

Ken

A-List Customer
Thats interesting. so how does one apply it? I mean presumably its malleable enough at the time of application that you can comb it into shape and then you would let it set or set it with the hair dryer, right?

Does this also prevent hat hair as well then?

Ken

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If you're gonna use thick stuff like Murray's, you'll have to melt it down. It's too thick to spread easily. And, I actually think it would make hat head WORSE, as pomade stays "moist"!
flat-top

Wild Root

Gone Home
Matt Deckard said:
That is the look I shoot for... short on sides and long on top... very young Indy and a bit Jeff Bridges as Preston Tucker.

p8_1_bg.jpg

Jeff Bridges combed his hair.:p LoL.

=WR=

Mycroft

One Too Many
Marc Chevalier said:
It's versatile, too. Looks relaxed and casual, but can be spiffed up with some Wild Root ;)

Of course, to have this kind of cut, you need to have a lot of thick hair in the first place.

My hair is plenty thick, that is one think I know for sure.

Zach R.

Practically Family
Ken said:
Thats interesting. so how does one apply it? I mean presumably its malleable enough at the time of application that you can comb it into shape and then you would let it set or set it with the hair dryer, right?

I still haven't gotten this technique down, either. Usually I do it when my hair is pretty damp, comb it, and forget about it. I've tried the hair dryer, but for my hair I think it is best if I just leave it to dry on its own.:p

I also prefer Wildroot to most pomades, it doesn't have that crunchy feel that pomades have. Also, after it dries it relaxes a bit and, since my hair is both thick and wavy(and also a bit prematurely grey), my hair gets a really cool style, very similar to the picture of the young Bogie posted earlier.

Blackgrass

One of the Regulars
As far as slicked up styles here is what works for me. I have it short on the sides, faded/taper cut in the back and long on top (It reaches the end of my nose when I pull it down in the front). After washing and towel drying my hair I put in about a tablespoon of Brylcream and work it through my hair....after the Brylcream I add in about half as much Groom and Clean. I comb my hair and it stays in place all day. The Groom and Clean is a great product and washes out easily. I have used all sort of pomades and waxes and the Brylcream and G&C combination works really well...for me atleast. I slick my hair back everyday and have been wearing it this way for about a year with a slight pomp in the front.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Wild Root said:
The Nazi style:

In the early to mid 30?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s as the Nazi party started to gain power, the hair styles among other styles that the Nazi population liked were very strong, crisp, clean and sharp styles. The Nazi culture was all about new and modern ideas. They took Art Deco and made it their own. Hair was also cut to emulate this style! Exactness was their M.O. and they wanted to have the sharpest look. I for one love the Nazi cut because it is so clean and well styled. I don?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t like the Nazi life style or beliefs, but they sure new how to dress and groom! This style of cutting hair was every where in the US and a crossed Europe in the late 20?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s and early 30?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s. This cut was a standard hair style for men as well. Don?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t be afraid to try it out! I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢ll tell ya, people will not connect it to the Nazi party or that part of German history if you wear this style. Only if you wear a WWII German uniform will you get called a Nazi!

The Germans had style in those days!

Hair styles of the 30?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s and 40?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s were all very clean cut! No long hippy hair existed in any towns. Men were men, women were women! Got to love that! WWII was a war that had good hair! Men weren?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t required to chop off all their hair! Look at old photos of your parents and grand parents and see how well groomed they looked in a uniform!

=WR=

Quite right Root! They did have style and flair. I've been trying to describe the hair cut to my sister-in-law (since she's a hair dresser) without saying anything about Nazi's. But, yes, they did have some great crisp style, from their hair cuts to their clothing. Too bad their politics went south.
Now, as far as the hair cut goes, I think she may have acheived it for me this last trimming. I still need a little more growth before the next cut. When I get it I'll post some pics.

Cheers!

Dan

Wild Root said:
Hair styles of the 30?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s and 40?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s were all very clean cut! No long hippy hair existed in any towns. Men were men, women were women! Got to love that!

=WR=

Hmmmm, well maybe. If one disregards entirely the bohemian movement.

Funnily enough, i believe everyone here who wears forties suits/hats, drives vintage cars etc. are now officially considered bohemian :p

Rejection of societally prescribed mores (such as the ease and comfort of NOT wearing a suit or hat) is a time honoured pastime of sections of society
:cheers1:

Thusly spake the longhair ...

HWood4.jpg

bk

Baron Kurtz said:
Hmmmm, well maybe. If one disregards entirely the bohemian movement.

Funnily enough, i believe everyone here who wears forties suits/hats, drives vintage cars etc. are now officially considered bohemian :p

Rejection of societally prescribed mores (such as the ease and comfort of NOT wearing a suit or hat) is a time honoured pastime of sections of society
:cheers1:

Thusly spake the longhair ...

HWood4.jpg

bk

Hmmm.... I think some Murray's could get that back tight enough so that you would never notice. :p ;)

Regards to all,

J

Daniel Riser

A-List Customer
Hey Daniel. I've got lots of pics to post tonight. I am going to post the wal mart shirt materials I've found, ties, some suits, and my new haircut! I promise. TONIGHT!

vintageredhead

New in Town
I have those hair clippers!!!

I collect old men's barber equipment-I worked in a barber shop for a while and just loved all the old stuff! Whenever I travel, I always go into small towns to see the barber shop- they are usually stuck back in time and have lots to look at!!!
Love the cut-wish all men had enough style to wear a cut that LOOKS like a man's cut!!
Karen aka vintageredhead

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Daniel Riser said:
Hey Daniel. I've got lots of pics to post tonight. I am going to post the wal mart shirt materials I've found, ties, some suits, and my new haircut! I promise. TONIGHT!

Well Mr. Riser, sorry I haven't been around for a few days. I'll be sure to check out what you have to show. Has Lauren shown you the material yet or is she hoarding to herself?;)
BTW, which thread did you post the pictures at?

Cheers!

Dan

Daniel Riser

A-List Customer
Daniel you're not going to believe it. I was determined to take the pics. I pulled out the camera, took them then realized the cable I bought was 4 pin and my camera is 5 pin!!! I couldn't believe so I have about thirty pictures (including that Wal Mart shirt material I've promised to you for ages) on my camera. They have been taken and the new cable is gonna get picked up in the morning.

SO SORRY! [huh] :eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21