Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hair cuts

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
james-darmody-hair-boardwalk-empire.jpg

one of the first things i noticed about Boardwalk Empire's costume/styling was that Jimmy Darmody's hairstyle looked too modern. it was just about believable in the first (pilot) episode, then the undercut got more severe which made the long hair on top hang over it in a distinctly 1980s 'edgy' new-wave sort of way. i like the cut, but it's not a 1920s accurate cut.

Last edited:

Twill

One of the Regulars

one of the first things i noticed about Boardwalk Empire's costume/styling was that Jimmy Darmody's hairstyle looked too modern. it was just about believable in the first (pilot) episode, then the undercut got more severe which made the long hair on top hang over it in a distinctly 1980s 'edgy' new-wave sort of way. i like the cut, but it's not a 1920s accurate cut.

I completely agree.

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab

one of the first things i noticed about Boardwalk Empire's costume/styling was that Jimmy Darmody's hairstyle looked too modern. it was [I]just about[/I] believable in the first (pilot) episode, then the undercut got more severe which made the long hair on top hang over it in a distinctly 1980s 'edgy' new-wave sort of way. i like the cut, but it's [I]not[/I] a 1920s accurate cut.[/QUOTE]

I hear ya, HBK. But the same discussion came up on the Waldorf Barbershop [URL="https://www.facebook.com/Waldorf.Barbershop"]page[/URL] - and this comment is relevant to address your onjection:

[IMG]http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g290/mikisu/michaelpitthairstyle.jpg

Waldorf Barbershop ‎... there is a touch of 90s to it. I think the difference is the pscychobilly or neo-punk influenced cuts in the 90s had just the front bangs / fringe left long. The Darmody cut is long all the way to the back of the crown of the head.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up

Oh!!! is that so? Well herringbonekid .... we will have to agree to disagree in this one. It is very believable in my opinion.

To prove it here is the man Douglas Fairbanks Jr with an almost identical haircut. Is he having a 1980s "edgy" new wave too? :D:p

yactrhoatcrncarr.jpg

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
.... then the undercut got more severe which made the long hair on top hang over it in a distinctly 1980s 'edgy' new-wave sort of way. i like the cut, but it's not a 1920s accurate cut.

It's s a good thing you invented a new dictum herringbonekid ....

But you say it is NOT an accurate cut and I say it is .... I posted a photo of Douglas Fairbanks to prove it. You were wrong, were you not? Face it like a man will you please ?:p :D

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
sorry HadleyH, it's not the same cut. the Fairbanks has a more gradual fade and less long top.
nit-picky i know, but when it comes to men's style there's no such thing as too nit-picky, because we have such a reduced amount of options of dress and hairstyle (compared to ladies) the differences make all the difference.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
sorry HadleyH, it's not the same cut. the Fairbanks has a more gradual fade and less long top.
nit-picky i know, but when it comes to men's style there's no such thing as too nit-picky, because we have such a reduced amount of options of dress and hairstyle (compared to ladies) the differences make all the difference.

Then lets vote, shall we? we ask to all of the gentlemen (and ladies if they wish) here to express their opinion .... are the two haircuts almost identical? Yes or no. ( between Fairbanks and JD)

Last edited:

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
herringbonekid , with all respect, you are literally being a hairsplitter lol [huh] ;)

Unless Fairbanks can arise from the dead or somebody makes a clone out of him, nobody is going to have the very exact,same haircut!

Last edited:

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Then lets vote, shall we? we ask to all of the gentlemen (and ladies if they wish) here to express their opinion .... are the two haircuts almost identical? Yes or no. ( between Fairbanks and JD)

The cut is the same. The JD cut looks a bit different because he has straight hair. It makes a huge difference. We are used to seeing those cuts with wavy hair because it is more common, but get a period accurate cut with straight hair and that is the result.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ