Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

hair extensions

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I'm in the mood for longer hair! Have any of you ladies tried extensions? How did you like the results? I noticed at Sally Beauty Supply that they have them there...it was really hard not buying them :p

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The kind that I got at Sally were the kind that have to be weaved in. I didn't see any ones with clips at the store we have here. I of course wasn't told this by the sales girl, and they are not returnable. I couldn't weave them into my hair myself so I just threw them out.
I have a clip on "fony tail" by Scunci that I love. It is great for when I want to wear a snood and need more hair to fill it out, or just want to have that long hair feeling. Only downside, they don't have too many color options.
I hear now that extenstions can be heated or melted directly into your hair. I don't know how good it is for your hair, but it is supposed to be much more reliable than the weaved kind.
When I was looking for hair extensions on line, I found a ton of websites that had all different kinds, at much better prices than Sally. I don't have the links handy, since it's been a while since I looked at them, and I just lost all of my bookmarks. But, just do a search on Yahoo or Google for Hair extension. I was amazed at how many sites that sole them and also the great amount of sites with different information and directions for the many different kinds out there.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I also have the clip in ones, kind of like a pony tail. If you check Wig stores they'll often have them, or know of places you can get them in variety of colors. There's a place by me that sells them for aobut $28 for the really really long ones, and they're GREAT for doing earlier periods because you can braid and loop them up and around like a large chignon- especially good for Victorian stuff. The only problem is, now I have around four of the things because I have to get a new one every time I change my hair color lol

I've heard extensions that you melt or weave in ruin your hair. I've seen stylists on TV having to cut girls's hair down to a pixie cut just to salvage the little hair they have left that's not ruined. As tempting as it is to have long hair on the double, I think it may be better to wait for it to grow out (says she who wish her hair would grow faster.. :rolleyes: )

BonnieJean

Practically Family
I have a lot of Toni Brattin's hair pieces. You can get them from HSN. Some were clipped on and some have a stick-like thing that just sticks down in your hair. Some even are attached to a elastic thing that you can put around a pony tail. I have several longer versions and my sisters-in-law that were beauticians couldn't tell where my hair ended and the fake stuff began. But now I've gone down a shade in my haircolor and I probably won't use them much. They're great for thin hair. If you go to the HSN website you can check out all the styles--they even have customer reviews. Sometimes they have specials if you can get the HSN channel. (The infomercials are interesting) I agree with the others, don't go the extensions route unless you don't mind a pixie cut. (I had those growing up and don't miss them!)

Daisy Buchanan

Thanks for the info Bonnie. I've been looking for some hair pieces that clip on easily. The ones I had required too much fuss. I have shoulder length hair that is thick, but thins out a lot if I let it get too long. So, adding a few hair pieces helps me get a longer look that isn't too thin. It's fun to have a totally different hair style every once in a while.

Daisy Buchanan

Tourbillion said:
I've used extensions in the past. Clip in. Also falls.

You don't have to use glue. They can be sewn in or with micro-rings.

Go here for more info:

http://www.doctoredlocks.com/store/index.html look for the "linkies."

They have everything you would need. Check out their tutorials.
OOh, just checked this site out. Thanks for the link. i wish I hadn't tossed the extensions I bought, but i became so frustrated with them because I couldn't put them in. For some un-known reason, they just kept sliding out. This site has a lot of good info.

skinnychik

One of the Regulars
I've had extensions added professionally before, and they sewed them in and dropped a touch of glue to the connection to strengthen it. They aren't all that fun to sleep on, especially when they're new. They have little knots that dig into your scalp when you lie on them, and they pull your hair when they're fresh...think: really tight french braid headache. Another negative: the hair that grows out beneath the extension tries to dread. You have to keep having them tightened to prevent this, and there's that headache again.

On the other hand, they LOOK GREAT!
Waist-length, super-straight, flowing locks are a real eye-catcher. Still...they're like fake nails. If you get them, they require a lot of upkeep, of they'll turn to crap and damage what you once had naturally.

ITG

Call Me a Cab
So when you get extentions sewn on, is it real or synthetic hair. If it's synthetic, wouldn't it melt when drying your hair or trying to flat iron your real hair portion?

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
The sewn in kind doesn't sound like fun! I'm all for comfort yet looking fabulous ;) I bought some of the clip kinds from Sally Beauty Supply. I got so frustrated putting the darn things in that I threw them in a drawer and haven't tried it again :rolleyes: The clips were just not staying where they were supposed to :rage: At Walgreens, there's the kind that comes in a pontytail, that gives you the appearance of having really long hair. This I can manage very easily. It was inexpensive (only $15) and REALLY easy to put in the hair.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I've never even considered extensions, but after reading this thread I think I'm going to look for one of the clip-in ponytail things to fill a snood. I used to have a hairpiece from my Irish dance days, but I got rid of it a couple of years ago. It saved me a *lot* of time and effort!

So for the purpose of snood-filling only, what should I look for? The ponytail kind? I don't have enough hair to pull into a bun or ponytail - my hair is about chin-length now. Will that matter?

ITG

Call Me a Cab
fwgal, go to Sam Moon's in Dallas (or the Frisco store, which is further) so you can color match to your exact hair color, and the clips will just clip in your hair like this:
istockphoto_1213638_hair_clip.jpg

The hair is weaved into a cloth and the cloth is wrapped around the clip so you can't see the clip. If I wasn't so busy with wedding stuff, I'd offer to go with ya on a Saturday.

Daisy Buchanan

I love my fony tale. It clips in so easily, and it stays in all day. The one I have isn't of the highest quality, so I do need to take the time to brush it out a few times a day. I got mine at Walgreens too, it's probably the same one as some of you ladies have. It's made by Scunci. Only bad thing is they don't have a huge color selection.
I just purchased some wefted extensions and extension tape. This is supposedly the easiest way to do extensions yourself. Luckily I read the directions first and bought a good glue remover too. Supposedly the tape is super sticky and quite painful to take off without the removing oil.

Rosie

One Too Many
Okay, Daisy, DON'T USE THE TAPE!! This isn't good for your hair at all and may pull your hair from the roots leaving bald spots. Even with the removal oil it isn't good. The best way to do a weave is either with clips or getting it sewn into your hair. Admittedly, hair on clips isn't the best grade of hair but is cool for putting in extensions from time to time. If you want extensions long term, the best hair to get is remy hair and have it sewn in. Remy is VERY expensive but, will last longer if you intend to use the extensions over a longer period of time. After that, the best grade is 100% virgin which is a pretty good grade but if worn every day, will have to be changed every few months. If you can sew a buton on, you can sew tracks into your hair, you just need to have a few braids braided into your hair. Also, you can use a crocheting like needle and crochet hair onto braids on your hair, but, this must be done with her that isn't on a weft. I will elaborate more tomorrow, I'm a bit tired now.

ITG

Call Me a Cab
I have a question...somewhat related somewhat not. When I wash my hair, I feel like I could be making my own hair extentions that I could tape/glue to my other strands. I have hair that actually comes out, maybe at least 30 strands each time I wash my hair. Is this normal? Lately it seems like it's been more consistent and I'm thinking maybe I'm just more stressed with the wedding stuff or could there be something medically wrong or just a summer shedding of dead hair?

BonnieJean

Practically Family
and the clips will just clip in your hair like this:

Toni Brattin has a lot of hair clips that work like this. You can also get combs with the hair attached or the ones with elastic bands. Here's an example of one of the clips.
http://www.hsn.com/cnt/prod/default.aspx?webp_id=2157251&web_id=2157251&sf=bs&attr=1952&prev=hp!sf!161!1952

Sometimes it's on sale and sometimes they may not have all the colors available for each style. Her stuff may cost a little more than what you find locally, but the hair looks very real and if you can get a good color match, its hard to tell what is real or fake.

If anyone is a medium blonde, I'd be willing to pass along a piece or two. I've got a box full of these--different styles--that are just sitting around. I've since darkened my hair a tiny bit and also not using these much anymore. They're great for getting up and heading out the door without much fuss over your hair. If you can pull your hair back even into a tiny pony tail, you can wear the clips. I saw ladies with pretty short hair on their infomercials that were wearing them. They even have combs that can be combed and clipped together. There are a lot of ways to wear these things. I had a lot of fun playing around with them. The bigger clips with the longer hair have a lot of hair on them and some people don't like the "weight" when wearing them. But I found I quickly got used to it.

I think I missed my calling--I should of been a beautician because I love playing around with hair. I can see it now...I'd decorate my shop in a 40s - 50s style....

texasgirl

One Too Many
ITG said:
I have a question...somewhat related somewhat not. When I wash my hair, I feel like I could be making my own hair extentions that I could tape/glue to my other strands. I have hair that actually comes out, maybe at least 30 strands each time I wash my hair. Is this normal? Lately it seems like it's been more consistent and I'm thinking maybe I'm just more stressed with the wedding stuff or could there be something medically wrong or just a summer shedding of dead hair?

I took the cosmetology courses in high school and I remember that it's normal to lose up to 100 strands a day. It's more noticable on longer hair of course. You may be losing a bit more than usual due to the wedding stress, but I wouldn't start worrying yet! Some of the hair stylists may know more about this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy