Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hairy baby? On a magazine?

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
Just got off the phone with my mother. She said that apparently her aunt is on the cover of a magazine, but she doesn't know which title. The lady was born in Feb 1935 and was profiled in an article, due to the fact that she was born with hair all over her face. The article is supposed to tell of the medical procedure to remove it and stop it from growing back. Weird. Anyway ... she evidently had the before photo put on the cover of said publication. Her name is Leona Stone.

Is it ringing any bells with anyone? Sure isn't for me. I'm assuming it's a news or medical magazine.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
It sounds like something that might have turned up in "Look," which came along in 1937 and featured a lot of "impossible but true" tabloid type stuff until it became more respectable. They regularly had things like "See the amazing man who can smoke a cigarette with his eye!" -- a hairy baby would fit right in.

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
That was my first thought too, Lizzie. My mother swears it would have been the year her aunt was born, 1935. I think it has to be 36 or 37, due to the procedure having to take place and then the article written, etc.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Well, it definitely isn't Look -- I've just reviewed every cover from the first issue in 1937 to the end of 1939 (which you can do here) and there's some pretty bizarre stuff on some of them but no hairy babies. Doesn't mean she might not be on an inner page though.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
There's also "Pic" magazine, which came along in late 1937 and was even more tabloidy than Look -- if Look was the Enquirer of its day, Pic was the Midnight Globe. There aren't a lot of Pic covers online, but it's a title worth further research.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo