Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Happy Straw Hat Day!

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Back in the days before the summer season was delimited by Memorial Day and Labor Day Mondays, May 15th was the traditional "Straw Hat Day", when you put away your felt fedora for the season and got out (or bought new) a boater or Panama.

Correspondingly, on September 15th, you were supposed to ceremonially put your fist through your summer straw hat and start wearing felt hats again. (This was back when the average city had a hat store right nearby, and average-grade hats, either straw or fur felt, cost only a few dollars!)

To hear my dad - who grew up in NYC in the 20s/30s - tell it, this was taken quite seriously by a big chunk of the large hat-wearing population! And the practice endured well in the 50s, when hats were still considered an everyday accessory.

Cool, huh? Anyway, I'm switching to my Panama this Sunday...

Richard

Familiar Face
my mother

who is a seniro citizen, says this is absolutely true and she remembers. also white shoes, not to be worn after labor day. she thinks it's really funny that ive taken to hats...

gandydancer

Familiar Face
Strange

I never hear of May 15 to Sep 15. It was always the traditional Memorial day to Labor Day, but then I was not around in the 20's and 30's.

BTW anyone remember when they changed it from Arbor Day to Labor Day?

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
When I was a Policeman, we would uniformally (is that a word?) wear short sleeves and straw hats on May the 15th. Sept. 15 we would change to long sleeves and felt hats. The dept. I was employed by wore Trooper style Stratton Hats.

SappySwami

Familiar Face
Man, am I glad. I have been wanting to wear my boater because of the warm weather lately, and didn't think I could make it until the end of the month!

PeeWee

One of the Regulars
That's interesting. I'm a retired city fireman, and we always went into long sleeve shirts on Sept. 15th and into short sheeves on May 15th. The tradition must have been passed down by hat dates.

bond

My Mail is Forwarded Here
About time the weather is finally warming up enough to wear a straw. Here is my new to me panama from a fellow lounger. I Put a vintage hook on over a thin ribbon and resteamed the crown to its present form. Nice hat for one with a fabric sweatband and the weave is very nice too, it's a good one for not having worry about wearing or taking any abuse from the elements.
34f3f97f.jpg

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

Straw hat day is traditionally today, but can be as late as Memorial Day. It's been so darn hot that I declared it to be Sedgwick County Straw Hat Day on May 1, 2012. Sorry, but I was sweating in the GOOD fedoras... It's o.k. in the Campaign hat and in the Resistol that's in BOP shape, but NOT in my Tumwater Seattle hat.

Later

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
It only just got warm enough up here. I kinda consider any time between now and Memorial Day to be an either/or season. If it's too warm before now, I go hatless. I won't even contemplate what happens if it's too cold after Memorial Day...

Dronak

Familiar Face
I got two modern straw fedoras around a month ago in preparation for the warmer weather. It's been warm enough here lately that I've been wearing these straw hats for a little while now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner