Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Has anyone tried Aero factory visit/tour?

Edward

Bartender
I heard that but couldn’t spot him. Was it actually him in full makeup or just a likeness?

A likeness. Very close to centre, on the left of the screen if memory serves...

pennywise-it-tim-curry-20008001.jpg

Better shots of it in the film - the costume and everything is correct.

GGinMP

New in Town
My visit to Aero was on September 19. On Monday, October 9th, my jacket left Scotland and yesterday (Oct. 11th) it arrived at my house in California! I cheated a bit by placing my order online a couple weeks before my trip, but indicated that I would be visiting and making final decisions then. The order was a place-holder to get in the queue. Still, extremely fast turnaround time and delivery.

The 30’s Premier Half Belt looks great, and it was made by Judith Leitch (boy, she does a lot of work!). The weathered Gordon wool lining looks superb with the dark seal Vicenza leather. Super thanks to Denny (I think that was the gentleman’s name who helped me that day; is that Ken’s son?), Judith & the Aero team. They even returned a St Andrews ball cap I forgot at the shop when I visited!

Pictures to follow this weekend when the smoke clears from our skies (raging fires near us).

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
My visit to Aero was on September 19. On Monday, October 9th, my jacket left Scotland and yesterday (Oct. 11th) it arrived at my house in California! I cheated a bit by placing my order online a couple weeks before my trip, but indicated that I would be visiting and making final decisions then. The order was a place-holder to get in the queue. Still, extremely fast turnaround time and delivery.

I did exactly the same, and will most likely again in future. I actually had to postpone my original planned trip a couple of months, so they really were exactly ready to go at that point; it arrive a week later. Great stuff. It was a lot of fun to go there, try things on, discuss the details with them and even pick out the exact hide with which my jacket would be made. Great for peace of mind that a new style will definitely fit compared to other ones one might own.

Doylum

New in Town
Howdy folks,

I flew in to Edinburgh from Copenhagen last Friday and drove down to Galashiels to visit Aero. I'm looking to get a nice battered tan August and maybe a Blue Vicenza Board Racer...

On arriving at Galashiels I popped in to Tesco to grab a bite to eat for lunch.

Left Tesco and drove 2 minutes to the showroom, only to remember that Aero closes at 12 noon on a Friday and it was now around 13:45. Talk about totally fucking up. However, we tried our luck and my wife rang the buzzer to see if anyone was still around. After what seemed like an eternity the door opened. We explained our situation to the girl, she said they were now closed. :( Then (Murray?) the leather cutter arrived at the door too. Again, we explained the situation, he was so positive and helpful and invited us in right away.

Inside, all the staff had gone home for the weekend. Wow! It was like being in Santa's Grotto. Murray showed us round the showroom and the workshop. He explained everything, and I mean everything about the leathers, linings, options and dished out so much advice. I also got a few leather samples and linings from him too. His enthusiasm was amazing, just intoxicating.

Long story short. I left the place totally bamboozled and happier than a Cheshire cat. I have to give an outstanding shout out to Murray, he made my day.

I've spent the last 5 days researching and noodling over his suggestions. And tomorrow I drive back up the the workshop to make my choice. I can't wait.

Aero are the best. I just love how they let their work and expertise sell their jackets. No pressure whatsoever.

Excited!

Doylum

Last edited:

Mich486

One Too Many
Howdy folks,

I flew in to Edinburgh from Copenhagen last Friday and drove down to Galashiels to visit Aero. I'm looking to get a nice battered tan August and maybe a Blue Vicenza Board Racer...

On arriving at Galashiels I popped in to Tesco to grab a bite to eat for lunch.

Left Tesco and drove 2 minutes to the showroom, only to remember that Aero closes at 12 noon on a Friday and it was now around 13:45. Talk about totally fucking up. However, we tried our luck and my wife rang the buzzer to see if anyone was still around. After what seemed like an eternity the door opened. We explained our situation to the girl, she said they were now closed. :( Then (Murray?) the leather cutter arrived at the door too. Again, we explained the situation, he was so positive and helpful and invited us in right away.

Inside, all the staff had gone home for the weekend. Wow! It was like being in Santa's Grotto. Murray showed us round the showroom and the workshop. He explained everything, and I mean everything about the leathers, linings, options and dished out so much advice. I also got a few leather samples and linings from him too. His enthusiasm was amazing, just intoxicating.

Long story short. I left the place totally bamboozled and happier than a Cheshire cat. I have to give an outstanding shout out to Murray, he made my day.

I've spent the last 5 days researching and noodling over his suggestions. And tomorrow I drive back up the the workshop to make my choice. I can't wait.

Aero are the best. I just love how they let their work and expertise sell their jackets. No pressure whatsoever.

Excited!

Doylum

Excluding the Tesco bit (lol), it seems like you had a fun and productive day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cooperson

One Too Many
Doylum - Nice story, thanks for sharing - you’ll love the revisit when it’s all going on. It was back in 2014 when I last visited, a very long drive for me but well worth it - it’s very rare these days to be amongst true crafts people at work. Enjoy and please report back.

SJC

Suspended
That showroom just looks amazing.
I think being an English has a lot of perks... in terms of clothing/shoes/tea and numerous other things to enjoy...
Almost everything I like is from England...
Me too . I'm a Horticulturist and that the gardening capital of the world . When I visit royal botanical gardens I want to take the same tour to buy a Aero jacket . Do you think people from Aero monitor this site ?

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Not monitor, but do they pay attention to what's said here because it's probably the first stop after Aero itself for people looking for info about buying one of their jackets.

nightandthecity

Practically Family
I just hope Tesco isn’t monitoring this thread.
I visted in September to order a Royale when on my way up to Skye. Nearly ended up in Tesco but found a proper cafe down one of the side streets that lead to Tesco. Phew! We went from Edinburgh on the re-opened Borders railway, the fare was cheap, the journey quick, the scenery great. The showroom was pretty overwhelming to be honest - definitely jacket overload! Fortunately I already knew the leather I wanted and had the lining down to a choice of two, so I just went zen and let Denny do the rest! I definitely recommend it, and I'll probably go again for the next one....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner