Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Has anyone tried Aero factory visit/tour?

high-maintenance

One of the Regulars
D1_Coat-4_B (1).jpg
*Grenfell clothing reversible nappa leather harrrington jacket*

Hi, loungers!

I am planning on visiting London / Scotland next year and the idea of visiting my favorite leather brand struck me...

Has anyone done Aero factory visit?

Is it worth visiting?

And can you buy their in-stock apparel directly from the factory? (I suppose there is a showroom?)

+ Can you get there by train and on foot? (I don't want to rent a car...)

Thanks a million in advance!

Reactions: SJC

GHarris

New in Town
View attachment 84351

Hi, loungers!

I am planning on visiting London / Scotland next year and the idea of visiting my favorite leather brand struck me...

Is it worth visiting?

And can you buy their in-stock apparel directly from the factory? (I suppose there is a showroom?)

I visited earlier this year. It's very accessible by train, as long as you don't mind travelling all day. In my case it was a long day - electrical failures on the line near Doncaster gave us a 2 and a half hour delay getting home... this worked to my advantage, though, as it meant my expensive train ticket was entirely refunded! Go to Edinburgh first and then across to Galashiels. It's a very easy walk to the factory/shop from the train station. Print a map or use a smartphone, but it isn't very difficult.

They do have a showroom. They won't always necessarily have your size in stock - I was expecting to be measured and to just place an order - but in my case they did and I went home wearing a lovely Irvin.

I didn't ask for a tour of the factory but I've heard you can do so. It isn't a huge place and they don't seem to be at all precious about letting visitors look around. I had to walk through the factory floor to get to the gents!

I'd say it's worth a visit.

Harris HTM

One Too Many
View attachment 84351

Hi, loungers!

Is it worth visiting?

I visited in April 2016. There is a train from downtown Edinburgh to Galashiels, then it is 10 mins walking.
It is definitely worth visiting. You won't forget the smell.
There is a showroom with many jackets. If you're lucky enough you can find a jacket that suits you.
After visiting the showroom on the ground floor, we were given a tour of the factory on the basement.

high-maintenance

One of the Regulars
I visited earlier this year. It's very accessible by train, as long as you don't mind travelling all day. In my case it was a long day - electrical failures on the line near Doncaster gave us a 2 and a half hour delay getting home... this worked to my advantage, though, as it meant my expensive train ticket was entirely refunded! Go to Edinburgh first and then across to Galashiels. It's a very easy walk to the factory/shop from the train station. Print a map or use a smartphone, but it isn't very difficult.

They do have a showroom. They won't always necessarily have your size in stock - I was expecting to be measured and to just place an order - but in my case they did and I went home wearing a lovely Irvin.

I didn't ask for a tour of the factory but I've heard you can do so. It isn't a huge place and they don't seem to be at all precious about letting visitors look around. I had to walk through the factory floor to get to the gents!

I'd say it's worth a visit.

Thanks for your detailed answer.

I am thinking of leather/shoe pilgrimage. 'Lewis leathers' -> Regent street -> North Hampton factory shop -> 'American Classics' -> 'Real McCoy' -> 'Aero leathers'

Dan ke schoen

high-maintenance

One of the Regulars
I visited in April 2016. There is a train from downtown Edinburgh to Galashiels, then it is 10 mins walking.
It is definitely worth visiting. You won't forget the smell.
There is a showroom with many jackets. If you're lucky enough you can find a jacket that suits you.
After visiting the showroom on the ground floor, we were given a tour of the factory on the basement.

Thank you,

I am feeling excited already!

eugenesque

One of the Regulars
Was thinking of visiting during the weekend of a possible work trip to London but I understand it's closed during weekends. :(

Cooper A-2

Practically Family
Can only highly recommend to go there.
Travelling in UK (or whats left of it....) is a bit different if compared to French or German standards ( TGV/ICE..)
But all in all travelling is OK and you will meet a lot if very niceand genuine people.
Aeroleather people are extremely nice and helpful.
They are the top and crown of your trip and journey.
Please go there and enjoy the ride plus all great jackets/products/service/people.

high-maintenance

One of the Regulars
Can only highly recommend to go there.
Travelling in UK (or whats left of it....) is a bit different if compared to French or German standards ( TGV/ICE..)
But all in all travelling is OK and you will meet a lot if very niceand genuine people.
Aeroleather people are extremely nice and helpful.
They are the top and crown of your trip and journey.
Please go there and enjoy the ride plus all great jackets/products/service/people.

I sure will. Excited already!

Oh yeah, go. Not only was the drive there (from Durham, UK) amazing, we got to stop in some neat smaller towns like Kelso, etc. and shop. The Aero factory is easy to drive by but is certainly worth going to - I grew up in a place/time where we had field trips to places like Bethlehem Steel, Corning glassworks, etc. to see how things were made. I love going and seeing how and who makes things.

I went in 2011 for my 25th anniversary. While the current (in 2011) management couldn't be bothered to meet me, I picked up my very first truly custom jacket there and got a tour from the son of the now-gone manager.
Got to see all the neat hides, went to the basement and walked around - the building itself is old and I love that too.

While the jacket itself turned out rather unflattering on me, it was an amazing experience, and I'd like to go back again one day. For sure if I'm anywhere near there, I'll go back.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
And if you do get to Walker Slater, definitely pay a visit to Mellis, a fantastic cheeseshop, next door.

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
I visited long ago and met Ken. Very nice visit. I also visited flight suits ltd. Their main spoke person Dave Marshal, was very cool and took me around their workplace. He has a very personal and fruitful relationship with workers. It was clear to me that those two places were a nice place to work for.

Harris HTM

One Too Many
Oh yeah, go. Not only was the drive there (from Durham, UK) amazing, we got to stop in some neat smaller towns like Kelso, etc. and shop. The Aero factory is easy to drive by but is certainly worth going to - I grew up in a place/time where we had field trips to places like Bethlehem Steel, Corning glassworks, etc. to see how things were made. I love going and seeing how and who makes things.

I went in 2011 for my 25th anniversary. While the current (in 2011) management couldn't be bothered to meet me, I picked up my very first truly custom jacket there and got a tour from the son of the now-gone manager.
Got to see all the neat hides, went to the basement and walked around - the building itself is old and I love that too.

While the jacket itself turned out rather unflattering on me, it was an amazing experience, and I'd like to go back again one day. For sure if I'm anywhere near there, I'll go back.
I (luckily) never had any dealings with the old management there but I can assure you that Denny made us feel really welcome and didn't hesitate to go once or twice to the basement to look for different sizes. I'd really love to visit them again.

SJC

Suspended
View attachment 84351

Hi, loungers!

Is it worth visiting?

When you do, please post a lot of pictures!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner