Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Has this ever happened to you? Or do I need a MRI?

GWD

One Too Many
I was walking in the mall this afternoon wearing my Dobbs Milan Porkpie when all of the sudden my head started to feel all tingly and I got really dizzy. I thought for I moment I was going to need to sit down and find my wife to take me to the hospital. This lasted all of about 30 seconds then it went away.

I don't think this feeling was because I was wearing a hat but I haven't got a clue as to why I felt the way I did.

I'm going to see if I can see my doctor tomorrow because it did kinda scare me. But I just wanted to see if anyone else has had this experience.

Thanks,

flylot74

One of the Regulars
Actually, yes. For me it was low blood pressure. I had been given medication to lower my blood pressure and was given too large a dosage. Checked with the doctor, and indeed my bp was a bit too low. The amount was halved and I have not had the experience repeated and my bp is now fine.

But then again, wearing a porkpie in Orange County would make anyone dizzy..... :rolleyes: ( oh, just couldn't resist that one :D )

GWD

One Too Many
flylot74 said:
Actually, yes. For me it was low blood pressure. I had been given medication to lower my blood pressure and was given too large a dosage. Checked with the doctor, and indeed my bp was a bit too low. The amount was halved and I have not had the experience repeated and my bp is now fine.

But then again, wearing a porkpie in Orange County would make anyone dizzy..... :rolleyes: ( oh, just couldn't resist that one :D )

Thanks for the info! As to the Porkpie in Orange County, I've had an overwhelmingly positive reaction from the general public regarding my hats! But I'm definitely in the minority in my efforts here.

carldelo

One Too Many
Was your vision affected? Opthalmic migraines have similar symptoms with tunnel vision, no pain, nothing really dangerous happening, but it takes a battery of tests to rule out the scarier stuff - good luck....

GWD

One Too Many
carldelo said:
Was your vision affected? Opthalmic migraines have similar symptoms with tunnel vision, no pain, nothing really dangerous happening, but it takes a battery of tests to rule out the scarier stuff - good luck....

No, my vision seemed okay, at least I didn't notice anything strange, but I was concentrating on staying on my feet.

Stoney

Practically Family
See a Doctor without delay

This has nothing to do with your hat. The cause is medical in nature.
It could be something as simple as low blood glucose or lack of sleep or as deadly as an aneurysm or other cause of stroke. Most likely nothing major but don't take any chances. You should see your doctor as soon as you can.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
As others have said - see your doctor. It's probably nothing, but it could be nothing or it could be something very major, and with most medical conditions, early diagnosis and treatment makes all the difference.

mtechthang

One of the Regulars
Yes- Probably nothing

Mike in Seattle said:
As others have said - see your doctor. It's probably nothing, but it could be nothing or it could be something very major, and with most medical conditions, early diagnosis and treatment makes all the difference.

Most likely explanation is nothing. (Given the time of year, any chance you took an new anti-histamine?) :) Truly it is likely that nothing is wrong- just a fluke. But don't let it slide. It is a little troubling that you stated it started with tingling first. That sounds like some kind of hypoxia (low oxygen) and there is a small chance it could be important.

Best.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I had a dizzy spell once that lasted an hour. Could not get past it or get my heart rate down. ER tests showed nothing. Stress test same thing - flying colors. Tests went on for months, and I got sicker and sicker, dropped weight, could eat almost nothing but turkey and melon.
Finally found the right Dr., who spent all of 30 seconds with me and said "gall bladder." Sure enough, that was it. Chronic gall bladder disease. Had it out, and no trouble since (except an irregular heartbeat, but that's another story) ;)

DrQuest

Familiar Face
GWD said:
I was walking in the mall this afternoon wearing my Dobbs Milan Porkpie when all of the sudden my head started to feel all tingly and I got really dizzy. I thought for I moment I was going to need to sit down and find my wife to take me to the hospital. This lasted all of about 30 seconds then it went away.

I don't think this feeling was because I was wearing a hat but I haven't got a clue as to why I felt the way I did.

I'm going to see if I can see my doctor tomorrow because it did kinda scare me. But I just wanted to see if anyone else has had this experience.

Thanks,

Ive had some similar sensations, but it's usually when I stand up too fast, and it just goes away within about 10 seconds. Still, I would suggest you get it checked anyway, just to be safe.

By the way, GWD, just wanted to say the hat in your avatar really suits you well. (no pun intended.) It looks like it was custom made for you. And has anyone ever told you that you bear an uncanny resemblance to actor Gregg Henry? He is the guy who was Craig Wasson's buddy in "Body Double" who ended up being the bad guy, and he was also Mel Gibson's pal Val Resnick in "Payback", who also ended up being a bad guy.

Hmmm. I hope that's not an omen.........(just kidding)

LaMedicine

One Too Many
DrQuest said:
Ive had some similar sensations, but it's usually when I stand up too fast, and it just goes away within about 10 seconds. Still, I would suggest you get it checked anyway, just to be safe.
This dizzy spell is most probably orthostatic hypotension, caused by the time lag of your body adjusting the blood pressure with the change in posture/physical position to keep the blood flow in your brain at a constant level.

GWD's dizziness sounds more like vertigo. This can occur due to several reasons, some serious, some not. You may not need to have an MRI done, but you may need some tests done, so it's best to be examined by a dr.

GWD

One Too Many
I went to the hospital last night just to be safe. They did an EKG, C.T. Scan and tested my blood sugar. Everything is normal. I'm going to see a E.N.T. today to see if is my inner ears are okay.

Thanks for all your remarks!

Gary

jfellrath

New in Town
Could be stress

Hi there, hope you don't mind a newbie to this forum throwing out a possibility. I once had similar symptoms (sans chapeau) and thought I was having a heart attack (at 32!).

I went to the doctor, they ran some tests, and the doctor asked me what was going on in my life. Well, at the time I'd just broken up with a long-term-thought-we-were-gonna-get-married girlfriend, my work life was not stimulating and I was afraid that I'd get laid off since there wasn't enough work to keep my busy, and a number of other things going on. He told me I needed to do something to get rid of stress. Exercise, primarily, but also eat better and the whole nine yards.

Not saying that's what's happening here, but I thought I'd help if I could.

GWD

One Too Many
jfellrath said:
Hi there, hope you don't mind a newbie to this forum throwing out a possibility. I once had similar symptoms (sans chapeau) and thought I was having a heart attack (at 32!).

I went to the doctor, they ran some tests, and the doctor asked me what was going on in my life. Well, at the time I'd just broken up with a long-term-thought-we-were-gonna-get-married girlfriend, my work life was not stimulating and I was afraid that I'd get laid off since there wasn't enough work to keep my busy, and a number of other things going on. He told me I needed to do something to get rid of stress. Exercise, primarily, but also eat better and the whole nine yards.

Not saying that's what's happening here, but I thought I'd help if I could.

You may be right! I have alot of "crap" going on right now!

Taggert

Familiar Face
GWD,
When I was going through a lot of stress in my life it caused me a myriad of stomach issues, but they have all but gone now due to the main source of the stress being relieved.
Stress is a huge factor in how one feels both mentally and physically. Find the points in your life that are causing stress and try to relieve them. if this isn't a possibility then i would suggest a relaxing hobby, exercise etc.

(It could be the stress from shaving off the goatee..lol, in which case it's a simple fix of growing it back )

Either way I am glad to hear that all the standard tests proved normal!

Keep us posted.

GWD

One Too Many
Thanks Taggart,

I didn't take the goatee into consideration but it's worth a try. My wife will certainly like me better with it. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21