Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat advice at the expense of the Fedora Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be honest, despite the namecalling he's actually got his head screwed on.
I suggest he's probably a media studies graduate. He seems to understand something about aesthetics and he certainly understands memes. The advice he gives vis a vis hat wearing is largely culled from here, which is a good thing.

bk

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
As Dear Oscar Wilde lamented "Youth is wasted on the young" especially when they do it in BAD hats"

article-1036207-01FE7C4200000578-317_468x691.jpg

"Oh another Oscar Wilde quote "The worst thing than being Blogged about, is Not being Blogged about"

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Mike in Seattle said:
Those posting pictures here are granting this website use of them on this site. But if someone else copies and posts those pictures or content elsewhere, they're opening themselves up for legal action, and/or their site disappearing in its entirety overnight when someone files a terms of service complaint with the hosting company, ISP or blog service.

Is this true? Is it really that easy to effectively prosecute the copying and posting pictures and/or content from another site? Is simply filing a terms of service complaint really enough to make a site disappear?

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Ephraim Tutt said:
Well folks, when the only way someone can promote themselves is to pull others down, that tells you all you need to know about the value of their advice.

Given the amount of 'Those baseball hat wearing folks look like fools' etc. type posts here...(including ones where a picture is posted of some lesser dressing creature and then mocked loudly by the membership here.......same exact thing this guy is doing.

oh wait that's 'US' and the rules of engagement are suspended for 'US' because we are great and holding to some tradition....

Sorry....Karma's a witch folks.....you get back what you put out in the universe.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
I'm agreeing with Baron Kurtz and Miss Neecerie on this one. I spent quite a while last night reading a dozen pages back through his posts, and for the most part I think he's got his head on straight when it comes to style. I didn't agree with all his advice, but he'd fit in here surprisingly well. (He might be offended by that statement.)

He did have some advice regarding Derbies (he used the term Bowler) that I ignore all the time: Don't wear one.

The guy is 28 years old, so is perhaps too old to be using terms like douchebag and megadork, but it also could have been tounge in cheek in response to the young man that asked the question. I saw several posts like that.

And he did essentially acknowledge us as hat experts!;) Let's let it go at that.

Brad

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Miss Neecerie said:
Given the amount of 'Those baseball hat wearing folks look like fools' etc. type posts here...(including ones where a picture is posted of some lesser dressing creature and then mocked loudly by the membership here.......same exact thing this guy is doing.

oh wait that's 'US' and the rules of engagement are suspended for 'US' because we are great and holding to some tradition....

Sorry....Karma's a witch folks.....you get back what you put out in the universe.

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap
I like how your wisdom always gets ignored. So here I am giving you props!!!

anon`

One Too Many
For those of you who wanted to see this Jesse guy (who speaks all too adult-like to be using such wonderfully mature descriptions such as "douchebag" and "megadork"), head on over to their YouTube channel. The one video there is hosted by Jesse. (If it isn't immediately obvious to you, he's the balding guy in the yellow plaid who goes on to tell you that denim is worn not because it's a cheap and hard wearing fabric, but because it looks fashionable when they fade.)

Mike in Seattle said:
And it's infringing on those users rights as well as MK's & the Lounge's. Those posting pictures here are granting this website use of them on this site. But if someone else copies and posts those pictures or content elsewhere, they're opening themselves up for legal action, and/or their site disappearing in its entirety overnight when someone files a terms of service complaint with the hosting company, ISP or blog service.

Hmmmmm.....I think I'll run over and see just what might be done. ;) :D

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I wouldn't say the chap is either a superdork, a megadork, a douchebag or even an überdork. He is simply a person who on this occaision has acted inappropriately by mocking this site. His advice itself is reasonable I'd say; not brilliant but not bad for someone wanting to wear a hat. It's not like he's saying fedoras should not be worn, he's simply saying take care when you wear one if you want to look good in it.

So I think we should try and be better than him and not insult him. He may have done wrong by using pictures from the FL, but it's not like he will use them to blackmail, defraud or stalk any of us so I don't see how we will end up being harmed. I don't like his use of our pictures, but I think there's no use in us getting too stressed over it.

I think we just need to agree to disagree. I personally think this forum is great. It taught me a lot, built on my confidence to dress how I want to and made me a few interesting friends. I hope most members here like this place as much as I do. Let him be of his opinion, immature as he may have been in criticising us. We're happy here so we don't need to get annoyed with someone else.

Edit: Sorry about the frequent use of "I think". Not intended to be monotinous, but I just like to overclarify that everything I wrote is only my personal opinion and that anyone reading this may completely disagree with it.

QMcK

Familiar Face
Miss Neecerie said:

I guess so. Those people are allowed to think we're idiots (or megadorks) and we're allowed to not care. We're allowed to think other people are idiots and they're allowed to not care.

Yep, thinking overnight about it, I now also think he was using those terms to poke fun at the person who sent in the question.

Geesie

Practically Family
zetwal said:
Is this true? Is it really that easy to effectively prosecute the copying and posting pictures and/or content from another site? Is simply filing a terms of service complaint really enough to make a site disappear?

No.
If it were, this guy's site* and accompanying book deal (I just hurt my eyeball-rolling muscles) wouldn't be.

*questionable content involved

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto