Hat blocks for BIG heads?

Discussion in 'Ask The Artisan' started by Julz Stewart, Jan 14, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Julz Stewart

Julz Stewart New in Town

Hello everyone,

I am very new to this community and the craft of hat making. So please, bare with me if I sound ignorant.

Can anyone guide me in the direction of where to purchase a hat block that would make 7 3/4 hats? Or what size I need to make if I have to fashion the hat block myself.

Thank you!

2. belfastboy

belfastboy My Mail is Forwarded Here

Take heart there is a new vendor on The Lounge that uses 3D printing to make blocks to order. I cannot recall his name but I am sure someone will chime in. If not our Humanshoes here in the Lounge has purchased one and test driven it. Check out his feed.

3. Julz Stewart

Julz Stewart New in Town

Thanks so much! I’ll go to his feed now!

4. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

It's worth knowing your hat size in metric. I too am a seven & three quarters, however there does seem to be a fractional variation in sizes, especially between the US & UK. At 62cm I find that my size is bigger than XL, if only I could boast that it was all about brain size!

5. belfastboy

belfastboy My Mail is Forwarded Here

I tracked it down to a January 4 2020 post from "Phoenix Hat" In the post Rick gives his review of the blocks. I have better luck using the Google search rather than the Fedora Lounge search function. type in Fedora Lounge Phoenix Hats in the Google search and the feed should come up.

6. p51

p51 One Too Many

I feel your pain. I, too, wear a 7 3/4 (or about 62CM) comfortably. Heck, I never buy any baseball style caps without trying them one because one size does NOT always fit all. I pretty much buy any cap that fits me, even if I wonder if I'll wear the thing...