Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat books

jpdesign

Vendor
I have heard more than one person talk about the lack of books on hats. I have to say, I have a shelf a 2 1/2 feet long that is over loaded with book that have something to do with hats. Half of it is information on the history of hats and hat making, the other half is books on mens fashion, almost all of which have something in them about hats.

The ealiest work I have is a hat making manual writen by a hatter in, not 1919, but 1829. Scientific hat finishing and renovationing comes in 4th in age. And I have one written in the late 1800's which is more helpful with making new felts. There is even a childrens book that has illustrations that do well to explain some steps.

I hat history the pre-immenant work is "the mode in hats and headresses" but costumers pay dearly for that one, I got a copy under very lucky circumstances. Then there is The Hat by Madeline Ginesberg, Hats: Glamour, Style, ...,(something to that effect), and Hats: a history of fasion in headwear. All of these deal with hundreds of years in the history of hats and their fashions.

In men's fashion, there is "Gentleman" which has a chapter on hats but includes a paragraph each on the history of differant style including the tophat, homberg, boater, fedora, trilby, and others. Ther is a two page spread on the panama, and another titled "The Hat Past and Present". The Bowler gets it's own page as well. There is also Men's Fashion of the 20th Century.

I have 4 books on Stetson alone, Including the Elbert Hubbart Biography from 1910, Which I have offered copies of here.

Then there are the countless books on the history of fashions used by costumers. They have pictures from verious time periods.

I have one book called Everyday Fashions of the 1930's that is actually pages from the Sears and Roebuc catalogue. Thos have been done for the 10's, 20's, 40's, 50's, and 60's as well.

So, the books are there, they are just hard to find.

Although I have to thank the poster of the free book as I have printed the pictures and will have the comb bound to add to my collection.

Jimmy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy