Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat-&-coat color coordination?

Naphtali

Practically Family
I have essentially zero color or fashion taste. My wife chose for me, but that - sigh - has passed.

What hat colors "go with" the following coat/jacket colors? Does exterior coat/jacket material matter?

1. Charcoal gray.

2. Dark/chocolate brown.

3. Dark tan.

4. Reddish brown, more brown than "oxblood" shoe color.

elvisroe

A-List Customer
gtdean48 said:
A silver belly hat, to me, goes with all of those. JMHO

Agreed. Looking at colour pix from back-in-the-day noone seems to bother overly much about colour-coordinating. You see brown hats with grey suits and visa -versa. I guess when you generally had just one or two hats you made it work.

AlterEgo

A-List Customer
First of all, sorry things didn't work out with the wifey. Take heart, my friend: This is an opportunity to grow in areas you may have been relatively weak in--like dressing sharp and color coordination. As you will discover, there are plenty of attractive women out there. Just dont' think you have to rely on them to dress well, or to marry one to enjoy yourself.

OK, there are two general rules for color coordination:

1. A color in one item should match one color in another. This is seems easier than rule no. 2, but it's less tasteful when the colors match exactly. And when there's too much of one basic color predominating, you become boring. Great for undercover stake-out work, as no one will ever notice you, but in the rest of life, no so much.

For example, A black, charcoal gray (almost black) or gray hat coordinates well with your charcoal gray coat/jacket.

2. Using a color in one item that contrasts with the colors in the others. This can be tricky until you become experienced, but, say, a caramel-colored fedora looks terrific with a navy blue coat.

As for material, well, yes it does matter, if you really want to present yourself in supreme sartorial splendor.

To illustrate, if you're wearing a tweed sport jacket, a hat with some texture would be best, such as a velour fur felt hat like Biltmore makes or a woven ivy-style cap from Jonathan Richards.

On the other hand, if you're wearing a worsted wool suit, then a smoother fur felt hat would be best.

I've intentionally avoided TELLING you precisely what to do, because by applying the basic rules, you will come into your own and develop a sense of your own style.

Any color hat "goes with" any clothes--only some combinations look much better than others.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21