Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat Hooks...

Armando

New in Town
Can anyone provide info on what the horizontal hooks are called? I see hats hanging/suspended horizontally on instagram, but for the life of me cannot find those hooks. Appreciate your help.
Maybe they're not horizontal. You tell me if you're familiar. Thanks.

Hat and Rehat

Call Me a Cab
Can anyone provide info on what the horizontal hooks are called? I see hats hanging/suspended horizontally on instagram, but for the life of me cannot find those hooks. Appreciate your help.
Maybe they're not horizontal. You tell me if you're familiar. Thanks.
I'm not certain which hooks you mean, but I've been putting hooks on boards, 12" apart, then hanging the boards all over the place for my hats.
I bought some metal wire hooks at Home Depot first, at almost $4 a piece. It started adding up!
I found the same hooks online in bags of 12 for about $22, so ordered 2 bags.
When I used them up, I entered "rustic metal hat and coat hooks" in a search engine, trying to find them again fast.
Some much nicer, straighter hooks came up. They looked cast. I'm sure I'll order some in the future, though for now I just ordered another 12 pack of what I have been using. Try that search on Amazon and eBay. Im sure you'll find what I saw. It might be what you're seeking?

The pictures are the 12 for $22 hooks I'm using now.
d9427401f9810c61980e65b8db211f68.jpg
7018c8b9208bd2d4b03fd3957677fc2f.jpg

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Hat and Rehat

Call Me a Cab
Ignore the bottom ones. I have six hooks of that type, sets of three that that don't match each other. I stumbled on those premounted at thrift stores. If you do anything like that, you'll want to remount the hooks. 12" apart is ideal, but you do not want them closer together than 10" or you'll be launching one or two hats for every one you quickly grab from a hook.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Hat and Rehat

Call Me a Cab
What do you guys think of this hook? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AMGEUQ...olid=34EYJENMZ83AQ&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I'm just worried hanging hats on a hook would ruin the hat. I just bought a bunch of hats, and I don't really have a place to store them now, and I think hooks on the wall is going to be my only option. I can kinda see to some extent one reason why stiff full brim hats have gone out of style. They are hard to store, often bump into things indoors, and if you take it off, you have to worry what is going to happen to you nice expensive hat. My boonies protect just as much from the sun, sit flat, and can crush or roll up. Still though they don't look nearly as nice.
Those hooks look fine. They're even designed to spread the weight a little, which is why Bama was suggesting putting tennis balls on them.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
^^^get a hat tree. 35 hats on wheels. Spins, twirls, fills in for a Christmas tree. Fits anywhere. Buy 2, you’ll need them.
Just Google hat trees, or on Amazon.
Hooks are cute but too much trouble. Walls, screws, boards, lot of work per hat. Imho
B

Don’t want a hat tree. Don’t buy hooks. Free wall space with unpressurized tennis balls and wood or dry wall screws will work.

Do you think these kinds of hooks would ruin a hat? The tennis ball thing won't look nice when a hat is not there.

I see your dilemma. I wouldn’t hesitate to hang my hats from any of those hooks for extended periods of time. No, it will look like a tennis ball on the wall when a hat’s not resting on it; but why would there ever be a bare tennis ball?

SteveFord

A-List Customer
I know you said no hat tree but my wife picked this one up last night at a local consignment store to surprise me with. My wife, she's a keeper!
With a little lemon oil it cleaned up nicely.
It'll hold 6 full size hats and then caps if that's your thing.
My wife laughed and asked if I was going to start collecting umbrellas for the lower section...
hatrack.jpg
hatrack1.jpg

For those of you with sharp eyes, yes, that is a copy of Lesbian Nuns: Breaking Silence under the glass in the coffee table and yes, the title is the best part of the book.

Soften the blow? So

Soften the blow? I would think a hat hanging long periods of time on a hook would cause a bump in the back of the hat!

Gravity will have this effect no matter what part of the hat supports the total mass. The idea of storing a hat upside down poses that the brim of the hat will appreciate the force of gravity to help support the brim flange. But what is the effect on the crown? A tennis ball softens the blow by increasing the surface area of the crown working to support the weight of the hat against an otherwise pointy hook. I have a number of century old hats that hang on hooks softened with a tennis ball and can attest to the success of this method. In the photo below you can also see the application of a foam ring to support hats that are stacked on top of each other.

tennis_ball.jpg

That is what I am referring to. That second hook looks nice, but I would think that the pointed tip of the hook would ruin or at least create a pinch or bump in most hats.

From experience, I have not found this to be a problem... though I might pay attention to the lightest featherweight felts. Akubra hats should be bulletproof in this regard.

It might also be noted that there are many decorative objects that one can hang a hat on... below are a couple that are installed in our entry hallway.

hathooks2.jpg

hathooks1.jpg

Fourman110

One of the Regulars
I went with a walnut based guitar hanger attached to the wall with Command Adhesive. 10 minutes and it worked out great.
View attachment 214091
View attachment 214092

I was looking at the hat hooks again this morning and the more I look the more I like them. They hold the hats a little off the wall with a bit of slant to them. The two hooks have a non-marring ruberized surface that hold the hats in place really well. Picked them up on Amazon for something like $19 for 3.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto